Sponsored

There is no perfect engine

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
I'll be ordering a 2022 JLUR this month but I'm not excited about any of the engine options. The 3.6 w/ess has the crappy motorcycle battery that seems to fail far too early, plus it's manual only which I don't want on a DD/wheeler. The 3.6 etorque has a complex secondary battery system that I'm weary of. The 2.0 sounds weird and I don't like turbo throttle feel, plus premium fuel. The 3.0 diesel I actually like but my commute makes me a bad candidate for it plus the high maintenance cost and complexity are a turn off. The 392 is awesome no question, but it's not a practical DD and I'm not spending $75k on a wrangler. The 4xE is interesting but not on a vehicle that is designed to get you away from electrical outlets.

I guess the problem is simply just having choice. I kind of wish it were the old days of having the 3.6 and that's it. I'll likely be getting the XR package so I'll have the 3.6 etorque and I'm sure it will be great. It seems ridiculous to not be able to choose a clear winner, but maybe there isn't.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I'll be ordering a 2022 JLUR this month but I'm not excited about any of the engine options. The 3.6 w/ess has the crappy motorcycle battery that seems to fail far too early, plus it's manual only which I don't want on a DD/wheeler. The 3.6 etorque has a complex secondary battery system that I'm weary of. The 2.0 sounds weird and I don't like turbo throttle feel, plus premium fuel. The 3.0 diesel I actually like but my commute makes me a bad candidate for it plus the high maintenance cost and complexity are a turn off. The 392 is awesome no question, but it's not a practical DD and I'm not spending $75k on a wrangler. The 4xE is interesting but not on a vehicle that is designed to get you away from electrical outlets.

I guess the problem is simply just having choice. I kind of wish it were the old days of having the 3.6 and that's it. I'll likely be getting the XR package so I'll have the 3.6 etorque and I'm sure it will be great. It seems ridiculous to not be able to choose a clear winner, but maybe there isn't.
What about your commute rules out the ecodiesel? The 4xe CAN be plugged in but never needs to be. I commute in a cmaxx, and literally never plug it in. Regen still allows me to use the electric motor, making the underpowered gas engine feel rather sporty for a car that gets 38+ mpg. Literally every current engine choice is far better than any previous gen wrangler. The 8 speed auto is great at keeping the engine in the proper power band. If you are set on the xr, you don't have a choice. All the options are great in their own way.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Don't feel. Bad I'm getting ready to order a 2022 and I'm having analysis paralysis myself. 2 door or 4 door? Which engine? Manual or Auto?Which color? Do I really want the 4:1 rock Trac full time 4wd? Maybe I should just get the V8? No $75k for a Jeep is insane. Dam I just saw a 2 door Rubicon with the top off in Sting Grey and it looks amazing. 😳 🤯😭

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque

The 3.6 is not available without etorque and the 8 speed auto at the same time? I thought FCA had started doing that again recently due to the chip shortage??

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x

Sponsored

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon

Have you driven any of the engine options? If not, Drive a 3.6 and then a 4 banger and I am pretty sure you will be surprised. Of course, it is not the 392, but personally I wouldn’t change it for any of the other engines. XR package is cool but if I had to order one, I wouldn’t go with the XR package just because it is not offered with the 2.0 turbo. Funny that when I was going to buy the wrangler, I was looking for the 3.6 but I am glad that I went with the turbo even if it sounds like a vacuum.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

Me 2 - perfect except for hard seats and small gas tank. Minor imperfections
And I guess that could be changed. Eventually I'd like to add the katzkins seats with heated and cooling functions and if a company ever makes an auxiliary tank that will add another 15-20 gallons pretty sure I'd do those mods.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Have you driven any of the engine options? If not, Drive a 3.6 and then a 4 banger and I am pretty sure you will be surprised. Of course, it is not the 392, but personally I wouldn’t change it for any of the other engines. XR package is cool but if I had to order one, I wouldn’t go with the XR package just because it is not offered with the 2.0 turbo. Funny that when I was going to buy the wrangler, I was looking for the 3.6 but I am glad that I went with the turbo even if it sounds like a vacuum.
This is me completely.
Sponsored