Suspension swap myself?

CjMiller7

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Gobi XR
I recently acquired rubicon coils and shocks to swap out my stock sahara parts. Most shops around me seem to be in the $500-600 range for install and alignment. Given the current times and trying to save some money, how hard is it realistically to do the swap myself? For background, I have never swapped a suspension system. Though I do have some family members who have worked on cars and could probably help but never done any work on Jeeps.
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you are mechanically inclined it is totally doable and many people do it themselves.

Note an alignment is not necessary as you wonā€™t be changing out anything that can affect it. Just center the steering wheel up using the drag link adjuster. Thatā€™s all an alignment shop could do.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Since this is your first time, I recommend that you get some friends/family to help. You could very seriously injure yourself if you don't know what your are doing.

This is not to discourage you from doing it though, just a friendly reminder of what you're working with.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I recently acquired rubicon coils and shocks to swap out my stock sahara parts. Most shops around me seem to be in the $500-600 range for install and alignment. Given the current times and trying to save some money, how hard is it realistically to do the swap myself? For background, I have never swapped a suspension system. Though I do have some family members who have worked on cars and could probably help but never done any work on Jeeps.
YouTube is your friend....... donā€™t just watch one, watch several as thereā€™s always little things that doesnā€™t get covered in just one . As these guys said, totally doable, and a sense of satisfaction when youā€™re done.......:)

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
First, check out if a local Jeep club and if they have weekend wrenching for newbies. I help out at a local one of these and it's a great way to learn, get some help, and get access to certain speciality tools that make the job easier.

Secondly you should definitely do it! From teaching at the above you see it in an owners face once they tackle something tough the sense of pride and further connection to their Jeep. That is why I do it as in todays world too many people don't know how to do such things. That is a skill that will serve you your entire life.

So go for it! Buy a good quality lift and DIY.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
OP
OP
CjMiller7

CjMiller7

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Gobi XR
First, check out if a local Jeep club and if they have weekend wrenching for newbies. I help out at a local one of these and it's a great way to learn, get some help, and get access to certain speciality tools that make the job easier.

Secondly you should definitely do it! From teaching at the above you see it in an owners face once they tackle something tough the sense of pride and further connection to their Jeep. That is why I do it as in todays world too many people don't know how to do such things. That is a skill that will serve you your entire life.

So go for it! Buy a good quality lift and DIY.
This would be the ideal option and would love to link up with a local jeep club. But surprisingly, given I am in Arizona and have trails galore, I haven't found many active clubs but still on the search.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
This would be the ideal option and would love to link up with a local jeep club. But surprisingly, given I am in Arizona and have trails galore, I haven't found many active clubs but still on the search.
JCAZ is the one I've hit the trails with a few members from.

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
It isn't hard, but like other members have said, you need to make sure you are comfortable using jacks and putting a vehicle (safely) on jack stands.

What kind of work have you done on vehicles in the past?

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I was going to recommend checking out @blnewt 's thread with the suspension install, it's very thorough. I will be following it when I install the Rubicon suspension on mine! I'm just waiting for the funds to get Rubi takeoff wheels and tires before I go through with it, because I'm not sure I'd like the look of the lift with the stock Bridgestone A/Ts.

Sponsored

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I was going to recommend checking out @blnewt 's thread with the suspension install, it's very thorough. I will be following it when I install the Rubicon suspension on mine! I'm just waiting for the funds to get Rubi takeoff wheels and tires before I go through with it, because I'm not sure I'd like the look of the lift with the stock Bridgestone A/Ts.

I think it looks just fine with the Bridgestone at's, it doesn't look as high as the Rubicon since the fenders are lower. I can take some pictures of you want to see how it looks.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Shit id do it for like 100 bucks, or free beer

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I think it looks just fine with the Bridgestone at's, it doesn't look as high as the Rubicon since the fenders are lower. I can take some pictures of you want to see how it looks.
Not that I want to derail the OP's thread, but that would be awesome if you could do that! Even if you could just PM me a few I'd appreciate it. Thank you @PatrickR !

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
You can do it! Ben from JK Gear and Gadgets made this guide on how to install your own lift at home you can check out. He's showing how to install our Overland Plus Lift Kit, however you should be able to use this for whatever lift you are installing. Good luck!

Sponsored