Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I live in BC, Canada and want to get these but the price is ridiculous. On Amazon.com ( Amazon.com: TACCOM Compatible Heavy Duty Sun Visor Clips(2) for Jeep 2018 and Newer JK, JL, JT Gladiator and Wrangler--Patent Pending : Automotive ) they cost USD $25. On top of that there is a USD $25 shipping fee, for a total of USD $50 or CAD $65!

1653761242903.png

Any Jeeper in the USA (WA state?) wanna order a set and ship to me for less than above? :)
Just installed this the other day. I have fixed the passenger side twice. My wife is heavy handed and slams shit often. The driver side broke about two weeks ago. Super easy fix. It beat tearing the Jeep apart for sure.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the clip on the wife's Mojito!. Passenger side broke. Works great.

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
He didn't do it as a favor to you. The dealership back charges Jeep for warranty work. He was looking for billable hours.
And yet so many people on this forum complain about the dealer refusing to fix stuff under warranty. Including their visor.
Also, he was a she.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
The dealer replaced my visor under warranty with no questions while my jeep was there for an oil change. And I didnt even buy mine there.
And yet so many people on this forum complain about the dealer refusing to fix stuff under warranty. Including their visor.
Also, he was a she.
Replaced, but not fixed :(
Until they re-engineer the mount it will NEVER be fixed.

Sponsored

HushJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Just installed this the other day. I have fixed the passenger side twice. My wife is heavy handed and slams shit often. The driver side broke about two weeks ago. Super easy fix. It beat tearing the Jeep apart for sure.
I installed these proactively. Had it shipped to a friend near Seattle on way to an Oregon trip this summer. I filed down one side on an angle for clearance (on both driver and passenger pieces) and they fit and work well.

Last edited:

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
I just got my clips in the mail the other day. I don't even remember where I ordered them from. They didn't come with screws. Anybody know what size screws I need to replace the shorter ones?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I just got my clips in the mail the other day. I don't even remember where I ordered them from. They didn't come with screws. Anybody know what size screws I need to replace the shorter ones?
I bet if you check your credit card statements you'll discover the vendor's identity.

mrtm1970

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
The "ORIGINAL" and best as they are metal and not black Delrin like their original singular screw version:

HD TACCOM SUN VISOR CLIPS(2), JEEP 2018 & NEWER JK, JL, JT GLADIATOR, WRANGLER
Sure, the new 2 screw aluminum visor clip by TACCOM is a quality offering but...

IF your visor brackets are not broken, the Original, single screw offering made from Black Delrin, manufactured and sold by TACCOM is more then adequate. Even Tim, the owner of TACCOM has mentioned this multiple times.

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
If that's the case, I really don't understand why TACCOM wouldn't just go the extra mile and A) sell a 2-screw version that's already beveled on one side, and B) one-up the Chinese knock-offs by having the bevel and countersinks for a kit with distinctive driver's-side and passenger-side clips (instead of one opening facing forward and the other backward); and C) Go for over-overkill by doing this with a more rigid aluminum version for more $$$ and better reinforcement.

It's a smart solution, but it's a slightly half-assed one that irks my OCD just a bit. $49 for some 'attention to detail' and not having a ghetto-ass broken visor seems like a small price to pay (even though the half-clips are 'good enough').
So my passenger visor just broke. Looks like some of the Chinese 2-screw knockoffs have a tapered end. While I'm tempted to buy these, I'll likely just buy the TACCOM single-screw hook. I don't want to risk damage to my visor. Hope the TACCOM single-screw version is sturdy.

From China via eBay (although they use the TACCOM name)...
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix s-l500

Reactions: AFD

Jcharlesmith

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara SOT
It took me a few days of thinking about how to repair the visor in a way that would be stronger than the OEM POS. I had all kinds of ideas about machining rings and cross drilling the metal shank.

In the end, I came up with an idea, all on my own, that apparently was also devised by Dorman for the JK in their repair kit. I found this out later after I had ordered what I needed for the repair.

Here's the repair.
You need a T25 Torx driver, a very small flat blade screw driver, some electrical tape, a sanding disk or other method to remove some plastic and a little triangle jeweler's file.

You'll need to get a 5/16 push-on retainer of a specific type. I found them on amazon for $3.59 + $3 shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/Push-Pushnut-Stud-Size-5-Piece/dp/B078B71X81
You can find similar ones from McMaster-Carr or Grainger for about 5 to 10 cents each if you buy 100-200 pieces. I just went with the amazon listing because it was easy and I can't envision using many of these. Although, I can see the need for one more for the passenger visor.

I've written this for a Jeep equipped with the garage door opener and lighted mirror. If you don't have these options, yours may not have any wiring and you might not need to remove the rollbar cover.

If you have a top on the jeep, you need to remove at least enough to get access to 2 Torx screws on the plastic cover on the top rollbar tube. I have a hardtop and just removed the "Freedom panel". Remove 2 other lower screws on the rollbar cover and remove it. That will expose the tube and you'll see a connector near the A-pillar. Disconnect it. Also remove the push-pin retainer that holds the harness in the rollbar. Remove the 2 Torx screws in the visor base and you should have the whole visor in your hand.

View attachment 273096
Anyone with a SOT JLU know how to get to the Torx screws on the top of the plastic cover on the top rollbar tube? I cannot get a driver in the front screw even with a flex shaft. Do I have to lift the whole SOT top?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I'll likely just buy the TACCOM single-screw hook. I don't want to risk damage to my visor. Hope the TACCOM single-screw version is sturdy.
I've had them for 2 years now on both driver and passenger visors. No regrets and they're still solid as day 1. Better than stock, in my opinion.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
So my passenger visor just broke. Looks like some of the Chinese 2-screw knockoffs have a tapered end. While I'm tempted to buy these, I'll likely just buy the TACCOM single-screw hook. I don't want to risk damage to my visor. Hope the TACCOM single-screw version is sturdy.

From China via eBay (although they use the TACCOM name)...
Done. I used some blue threadlocker. Hope this fix holds up.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix PXL_20230109_202429603

Steven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4x4
Occupation
Dad
Just fixed my passenger side. Went with the original @roaniecowpony version. Great write-up, even for an idiot like me.
Sponsored