Sponsored

Actual Short Gas Cap Tether Fix. (Takes 1 Minute)

TyRoosevelt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep JL
There are a lot of posts about the short gas cap tether but no one has produced a solution that works for everyone.

My gas cap tether was 5 inches. If you order the part number 52030377AB, it will give you a gas cap for other fiat chrysler vehicles. The new tether is 7 and 3/8 inches long. Remove the tether from your fuel door using a trim removal tool (those quarter panels can warp if you get too aggressive), remove the other end from the cap and put the tether from the part number above on your gas cap. It is the same style tether with the same exact ends. The length is the only difference. The gas cap for the part number above is around 15 bucks and this took all of 1 minute.

Gas Tethers.jpg
Sponsored

KevinD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
The lanyard on the JT is the longer one. It's almost too long, in fact.
Anyone wanna trade?

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll bite. I have a 21 sport S 80th anniversary. Didn’t come with the factory fuel door, but I added it, and yes, now my tether is too short.

thanks for the part number.

Roadkill

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Freedom Edition
I’ll bite. I have a 21 sport S 80th anniversary. Didn’t come with the factory fuel door, but I added it, and yes, now my tether is too short.

thanks for the part number.
Same. Our 2020 Freedom Edition didn't come with the nicer fuel door, so we added it. Also left with a tether that's too short.

Thanks for the part number.

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have the factory fuel door and removed my short tether completely. Didn’t know I had the option of getting a longer one. Thanks!

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I looked at this gif several times in order to understand what it had to do with this thread or the comment it is in reply to. Then I recognized what it is and it all makes sense. My wife asked me why I was chuckling to myself uncontrollably like an idiot.

4doorturbo

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
Greatest mod yet! Ordered the new gas cap, part #52030377AB and swapped out the tether. Not sure why it made me so happy, but it did! Thanks for the tip! BTW it's $13.58 on Amazon.

KJKWillys

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Granite Crystal Willys - 6 Speed Manual
Ditto. This was so aggravating for so long. It never occurred to me to look for this “problem” on the Forum for some reason. Thankfully I stumbled on it along the way. Wonderful 1 minute Amazon fix. Thanks!!

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Ah...my original gas cap came with the longer tether as I have the factory fuel door. However I got a couple check engine lights as well as check gas cap light. Got a new gas cap which solved the problem, but of course it has the short tether. Thought it was just a running change....

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy