Sponsored

Sun Visor Fix

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I was going to apply thread locker until I realized I was screwing into a clip. The factory doesn’t seem to use a typical anaerobic thread locker. It’s more like a thick paint which I’m unfamiliar with. Any ideas about that?
@DadJokes

My screws factory screws had what appeared to be blue threadlocker on them. When I installed the visor clips I used blue threadlocker. Yes, screws go into a metal clip.

I asked Tim the guy selling the visor clips whether he was saying to use threadlocker and he said no he did not believe it was necessary. I figured thread locker could only help so did use it.

In regard to threadlocker.... take care using it as it can cause discoloration of materials it gets on to.
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
@DadJokes

My screws factory screws had what appeared to be blue threadlocker on them. When I installed the visor clips I used blue threadlocker. Yes, screws go into a metal clip.

I asked Tim the guy selling the visor clips whether he was saying to use threadlocker and he said no he did not believe it was necessary. I figured thread locker could only help so did use it.

In regard to threadlocker.... take care using it as it can cause discoloration of materials it gets on to.
I’m saying it’s not a typical anaerobic thread locker so the couple thousandths (maybe) of engagement that is not exposed to air wouldn’t be significant holding power. The factory screws are coated in something more akin to paint, which can be used as a mild thread locker. The typical anaerobic thread locker crystallizes.

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

I used thread locker, but it may not really be necessary. I did note that the OEM screws had what appeared to be some kind of ”blue stuff” on them.

Removed OEM visor screw:

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 7DA74727-20F0-477D-96F0-615E0E2329EF

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I used thread locker, but it may not really be necessary. I did note that the OEM screws had what appeared to be some kind of ”blue stuff” on them.

Removed OEM visor screw:

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 7DA74727-20F0-477D-96F0-615E0E2329EF
My old and new visor came with the same blue stuff. I could scrape the soft-ish stuff out of the minor diameter with my nail. I think it’s more like paint.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I believe what you are referring to is vibra tite. It’s actually more useful than loctite on small parts like this. It doesn’t get hard like loctite, is reusable, and basically keeps threaded fasteners from backing out by adding extra friction to the threads. In many applications, it’s better to use vibra tite over loctite. I believe auto manufacturers are using this (or something similar) for securing parts that are subject to removal and refastening. I’ve seen it used on a lot of threads that are subject to vibration.

When the vibra tite cures, it is like soft dried paint as described above.

*It is also used in gun smithing, securing small parts, so the manufacturer of these clips (Tim) might possibly have more information on the product and it’s use.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix ED9AA1E0-D3AD-4D2C-A118-E20C452AFBF1

Last edited:

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I believe what you are referring to is vibra tite. It’s actually more useful than loctite on small parts like this. It doesn’t get hard like loctite, is reusable, and basically keeps threaded fasteners from backing out by adding extra friction to the threads. In many applications, it’s better to use vibra tite over loctite. I believe auto manufacturers are using this (or something similar) for securing parts that are subject to removal and refastening. I’ve seen it a lot of threads that are subject to vibration.

*It is also used in gun smithing, securing small parts, so the manufacturer of these clips (Tim) might possibly have more information on the product and it’s use.

There ya go! Thanks for the info!

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
There ya go! Thanks for the info!
You are welcome. I was planning on using it to attach my visor clips. I’ve recently discovered that it’s an excellent option to loctite because of its unique anti vibration properties.

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

I believe what you are referring to is vibra tite. It’s actually more useful than loctite on small parts like this. It doesn’t get hard like loctite, is reusable, and basically keeps threaded fasteners from backing out by adding extra friction to the threads. In many applications, it’s better to use vibra tite over loctite. I believe auto manufacturers are using this (or something similar) for securing parts that are subject to removal and refastening. I’ve seen it a lot of threads that are subject to vibration.

Great info, thanks! :like:

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
After having both my sun visors repaired under warranty and that warranty running out, I was so thankful to find this thread. Just purchased and installed the single screw clips on both. Now I don't have to worry every time I use it! Thanks so much!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
In many applications, it’s better to use vibra tite over loctite. I believe Jeep manufacturers are using this (or something similar) for securing parts that are subject to complete failure due to moronic engineering practices.
FYP! :)
and thanks for the info on that product, good to know!

Sponsored

Mark Elliott

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
After having both my sun visors repaired under warranty and that warranty running out, I was so thankful to find this thread. Just purchased and installed the single screw clips on both. Now I don't have to worry every time I use it! Thanks so much!
I am @ Jeep Beach Daytona and bought some Bartact Visor covers, sure as shit both visors came out…lol..ordered the clips will be here tomorrow. I do like the Bartact covers though. Glad I found this thread.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I made a how-to video giving some options on resolving the visor issue. I’m pointing people to this forum/thread for the specifics for the options I didn’t pursue.

I opted to replace the passenger visor for about $32 (allmoparparts.com)total and add the TACCOM parts for another $30.

Last edited:

Thetickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
I attempted this fix, but ran into an issue with my push nuts. I purchased a couple 5/16 inner diameter push nuts from Ace Hardware for 50 cents each. The issue is that the inner diameter is too large and doesn't securely contact the metal collar of the sun visor. I measured the push nuts and they are indeed 5/16 inner diameter. Just a heads up that you might want to go for a smaller 1/4 push nut or shaft collar if attempting this fix.

Used a hacksaw blade to trim the plastic.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix PXL_20220520_172603236

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix PXL_20220520_173011834

The 5/16 inner diameter push nut slides right on, completely loose.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix PXL_20220520_173501008

Measures 5/16... so I guess I'm headed back to Ace Hardware for a smaller 1/4 push nut or shaft collar.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix PXL_20220520_174816302

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

The teeth on the “retainer“ you are using look very thick in your last photo (looks more like an internal tooth lock washer than a push nut). You might try to find a pushnut like the one in post #2 of this thread instead.

Thetickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
The teeth on the “retainer“ you are using look very thick in your last photo (looks more like an internal tooth lock washer than a push nut). You might try to find a pushnut like the one in post #2 of this thread instead.
Thank you. I didn't realized I grabbed the wrong hardware. My Ace didn't have the correct size push nut but they had a 5/16 shaft collar. It's not going anywhere now.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix PXL_20220521_001107513
Sponsored