Sun Visor Fix

mattobrien

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4 door
I know people are all about fixing this issue yourselves using better parts than Jeep has chosen, but can we make sure EVERYONE who has this issue opens a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration so that Jeep/Chrysler actually have to re-engineer the part and do a recall? They're still using the same part on 2022 JL's.

Possibly pin this link to the top of the thread and any related ones?

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#vehicle

When this thing dangles and you're driving 70mph on a busy freeway it isn't exactly safe to have to pop it back in the socket. It very much is a safety concern. And in 30+ years of driving this is the only vehicle I have ever had this issue with. It should not happen at all.
Sponsored

HushJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I live in BC, Canada and want to get these but the price is ridiculous. On Amazon.com ( Amazon.com: TACCOM Compatible Heavy Duty Sun Visor Clips(2) for Jeep 2018 and Newer JK, JL, JT Gladiator and Wrangler--Patent Pending : Automotive ) they cost USD $25. On top of that there is a USD $25 shipping fee, for a total of USD $50 or CAD $65!

1653761242903.png

Any Jeeper in the USA (WA state?) wanna order a set and ship to me for less than above? :)
@HushJeep

I did what you ask for another Canuck a few months ago.. Was my pleasure to do it for him....

Can tell you that it cost about $20 postage to send the items to him from New York, via United States Post Office (Priority Mail either) . Weight for the item was less then an ounce..

Blame Canada for this..

SkipDog12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 4 dr
Just my .02 regarding these defective visors.

About 2 weeks before my warranty expired 3/22, my right visor broke/starting hanging down, and because I was going in for warranty work shortly I waited for the call that the parts were in and then brought up the broken visor. The short answer from the dealer was that because it was after the warranty expired they couldn't cover it, but notify Jeep and they would more then likely cover the cost of the new visor. ($44). After 3 weeks of sending documents and jumping through ALL their hoops they denied the claim. Terrible customer service.

Today about 2 months later the drivers side just poped down while driving along ! I won't even bother trying to get this one fixed, but as others have said and after looking at the first broken one,
it is certainly another cost cutting cheap install which Jeep is getting know for.

Not the company it was even 10 years ago.

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I know people are all about fixing this issue yourselves using better parts than Jeep has chosen, but can we make sure EVERYONE who has this issue opens a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration so that Jeep/Chrysler actually have to re-engineer the part and do a recall? They're still using the same part on 2022 JL's.

Possibly pin this link to the top of the thread and any related ones?

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#vehicle

When this thing dangles and you're driving 70mph on a busy freeway it isn't exactly safe to have to pop it back in the socket. It very much is a safety concern. And in 30+ years of driving this is the only vehicle I have ever had this issue with. It should not happen at all.
Mine fell off too.
I filed a report.

Cant complain if your not willing to do something about it.

Sponsored

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Shara Unlimited
I’m in Canada nobody to complain to up here. This is a pain and not safe. My Jeep Intermittently loosing power without warning really makes me wanna complain.

mattobrien

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4 door
Mine fell off too.
I filed a report.

Cant complain if your not willing to do something about it.
For what it's worth, with an expired warranty, Chrysler still reimbursed me for the cost of replacing both visors ($400). I know they won't last but they do know its a problem. They just aren't volunteering to pay for it. Would take a lot of complaints to NHTS to make them do that.

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
Anyone do this fix using a shaft collar?

Reactions: AFD
OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Anyone do this fix using a shaft collar?

It's in the thread somewhere. The easiest fix is the flat plate bolsters that someone invented along this journey. No grinding, fitting etc.

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
It's in the thread somewhere. The easiest fix is the flat plate bolsters that someone invented along this journey. No grinding, fitting etc.
Yes I see it now, at first didn’t realize this was a 25 pg thread at quick glance (which Jeep should take as a strong hint …. )

someone a few pages back stated despite having the time, tools, skills, he still went with the bolsters due to convenience. I’m in the same boat.

Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I see it now, at first didn’t realize this was a 25 pg thread at quick glance (which Jeep should take as a strong hint …. )

someone a few pages back stated despite having the time, tools, skills, he still went with the bolsters due to convenience. I’m in the same boat.
To make it easier for others to read about the bolster technique, can someone please advise what page it is on or what post # it is? Much appreciated.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Per the manufacturer, the only reason he did/ does offer a 2 screw version is because he knew some wanted a 2 screw clip and he could make $ selling same
If that's the case, I really don't understand why TACCOM wouldn't just go the extra mile and A) sell a 2-screw version that's already beveled on one side, and B) one-up the Chinese knock-offs by having the bevel and countersinks for a kit with distinctive driver's-side and passenger-side clips (instead of one opening facing forward and the other backward); and C) Go for over-overkill by doing this with a more rigid aluminum version for more $$$ and better reinforcement.

It's a smart solution, but it's a slightly half-assed one that irks my OCD just a bit. $49 for some 'attention to detail' and not having a ghetto-ass broken visor seems like a small price to pay (even though the half-clips are 'good enough').

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
The dealer replaced my visor under warranty with no questions while my jeep was there for an oil change. And I didnt even buy mine there.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The dealer replaced my visor under warranty with no questions while my jeep was there for an oil change. And I didnt even buy mine there.
He didn't do it as a favor to you. The dealership back charges Jeep for warranty work. He was looking for billable hours.