Rubicon vs raptor

cbriggs9742

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep 392
You bought a 2018 Raptor and have already taken the hit and sold it to get a JL?
He probably didn't take a big hit at all on the Raptor if he didn't pay a dealer markup. The Raptors hold their value amazing well.
Sponsored

JL Rubi Khan

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Limited Edition (#1525 of 1964), 2016 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom
Vehicle Showcase
A raptor for only 60k? What's it missing? My 2017 was well above that and now is running around the 120 mark. Love it. My jl on the other hand was only 54 and so far I've only spent about 10 on aftermarket, prob bc my jl isn't in my hands yet... Two totally different vehicles in my opinion. Raptor is luxury ride. Beyond comfortable and roomy. Meant for fast baja (not that ours goes offroading, yet) while the jeep is more slow rock crawling.... both vehicles are fun, amazing, and great buys in my opinion. Love the amount of aftermarket and personalization both vehicles have to offer. Im a tried and true jeep girl, so jeep always has my vote BUT the day I convinced hunny to go get a raptor, I knew I finally had the best of both worlds, and my perfect king! Either choice would be a good one... but I vote jeep....just cuz its a jeep!
You have a Raptor with $120K in it and a JL Rubi on order that you've already spent $10K aftermarket on? Married? I already have the Rubi you can cancel your order :involve:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Imagine flying through the dirt in a Wrangler with the top down?!

Oh baby :involve:
If thats what your looking for 2020 will be when your new ride will arrive, as the Ford Bronco will be exactly that.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
If thats what your looking for 2020 will be when your new ride will arrive, as the Ford Bronco will be exactly that.
I really doubt the new Bronc will be topless with easy to remove doors. I hope I'm wrong - the more 'verts the better - but we haven't seen anything to really substantiate that. There were rumors of 'removable top panels, but that's just a glorified manual sunroof...

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I really doubt the new Bronc will be topless with easy to remove doors. I hope I'm wrong - the more 'verts the better - but we haven't seen anything to really substantiate that. There were rumors of 'removable top panels, but that's just a glorified manual sunroof...
I doubt removable doors, but I think it will be like the JL's power soft top once the panels are removed. Basically leaving a large sports bar.

Sponsored

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Considering a JL pick up in 2109 or should I jump at a ford raptor instead. How do you think they would compare off-roading? Raptor has bigger engine but nav system looks dated. Apple CarPlay is a must and not sure if raptor has it. Resale value? Thoughts?
I'm not gonna lie... If I had the money, I'd have gone with the Raptor... The spec I want costs $15k more than my Rubicon though, and it's not $15k better IMO.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
You have a Raptor with $120K in it and a JL Rubi on order that you've already spent $10K aftermarket on? Married? I already have the Rubi you can cancel your order :involve:
Married means signing on the dotted line.... no way jose I like the option of freedom.... plus he knows I stay by choice not a document.... But I am with my King....

Gegjeff

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon - 2017 Ford Raptor - 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee - 2017 Ford F150
I have had a '17 Raptor for a year now. I traded in a Shelby Cobra for the Raptor. I was really worried I would be disappointed with the performance, but honestly, I have not looked back. The Raptor is the best vehicle I have ever owned. So comfortable and so many features. It is tall and although it is a V-6, it pushes 450 hp and I love every time I drive it. Off-road it is a beast. It has not been rock crawling as that would not go well.

My wife wants the new Jeep. We have a Rubicon on order and it will be her vehicle. Now if we can just get it delivered. Going on 3 months since ordered. I hope it lives up to all the good reviews and can't wait to take it on the trails.

The Raptor is going to be the family and traveling vehicle and the Jeep is going to be the top down, rock crawling, getting dirty, fun vehicle.

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
You bought a 2018 Raptor and have already taken the hit and sold it to get a JL?
Didn’t take a hit at all. Bought under MSRP, sold over MSRP. Had a few thousand to put down on the Rubicon, so it was a win.

I’ve owned 5 Raptors, and only lost money on one of them.

JL Rubi Khan

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Limited Edition (#1525 of 1964), 2016 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom
Vehicle Showcase
Didn’t take a hit at all. Bought under MSRP, sold over MSRP. Had a few thousand to put down on the Rubicon, so it was a win.

I’ve owned 5 Raptors, and only lost money on one of them.
Pretty crazy... wouldn't think the financials would work out like that. But, nice!

Sponsored

Monster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Pretty crazy... wouldn't think the financials would work out like that. But, nice!
3 year old Raptors are selling for around 90% of their MSRP. We’ll have to see how the new ones do, but right now with most dealers charging $5-$10K over MSRP it’s possible to sell a one year old Raptor for about MSRP.

I have a 2017 Raptor that I love. Favorite vehicle so far. To get most of the bells and whistles MSRP is $65-$70K.

I’m researching JL Rubicons now as a second vehicle. Raptors and Jeeps are not an apples to apples comparison.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
right now with most dealers charging $5-$10K over MSRP
I'm on FRF and thats not the case any more. You can get a New 2018 Raptor for 1-2K off MSRP now, as the demand just isnt there. Also now with fuel costs going up I'm willing to bet come Sept/Oct you'll be able to get some good deals on them.

yell03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
I will chime in on this old Thread.
In October 2018 I traded in a 2015 Wrangler Rubicon (primarily my son's car) for a 2018 Raptor.
No regrets.
Then later that month I traded in one of my Jaguar F type convertibles (my primary car) for a 2018 JLU Rubincon.
No regrets.
This would be my son's 4th Jeep, previously had 2015 Unlimited Sport, 2017 Unlimited Sahara, 2015 Unlimited Rubicon, and now the 2018 JLu Rubicon.

Right from the start I made it clear, the Raptor is MINE. You can use the Jeep.

However, after about a month I decided I like the Jeep better, at least for around town driving.
Parking the Raptor is a major pain, it is huge.
The Jeep is far more nimble in traffic than the Raptor.

No contest, the Wrangler looks better IMHO and is more fun to personalize.

The Raptor all did was tint the windows, add Raptor graphics, weathertech mats, shorty antenna, the wheels were already powder coated.

The Jeep, tint, hood wrap, remove bumper ends, 35" wheels & tires, flag decals, weathertech mats, shorty antenna, pro-gun and 2nd ammendment decals, ordered Rock sliders, ordered Tail light guards.

For long rides the Raptor is amazing, it cruises at high speed and is super comfortable, but the farthest I drive is about 2 hours (110 miles) to our shore home and for that the Jeep is OK, just need to drive slower.

On the beach the Raptor is amazing, you can fly on the sand, but the Jeep is OK.
Both look great on the beach.

If I were choosing a pick-up, I would go Raptor over Gladiator, but if I had to choose Wrangler Rubicon or Raptor, i would go Jeep.

December 31 2018 019.JPG

October 20 2018 ac 076.JPG

December 2018 025.JPG

December 13 Office Party 058.JPG

NOMAD-0311

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scat Pack Challenger
We have a 2018 Raptor that’s fully loaded and love it. It has a lot of room, is very comfortable, and man does it make driving here in Puerto Rico a lot less stressful. We got it for MSRP, but due to being military, we also didn’t have to pay taxes on it here either, so all we paid was $495 for plates/registration.

This is our 3rd. We had a last gen model but the dealership decided to not tighten the lugs after an oil change and tire rotation and the wheel came off driving down the
Road and did over $10k worth of damage. So we let them buy it from us and replace it. But then we were stationed in the middle of nowhere, closest town over 20k was 2.5hrs, closest city was 3.5 and HQ was 5hrs. So the gas was killing us. So we traded it but always missed it. So when we found out baby 2 was on the way we sold the BMW and got back into one. It gets better in city mpg than my Scat Pack Challenger.

Next month I’m shipping my Challenger back to the States to sell so I can order a JLUR. I’ve been a Jeeper for a long time and miss having one. Long story short I sold my JKU before coming here because they said we couldn’t bring it. When we found out I could have it was too close to the JL release so I bout the Scat to play with until then. Well baby 2 pushed the Scat to garage duty. At 2 years it just rolled 8k miles!

But, both are nice vehicles. I can say the SYNC system works better than the UConnect. My Scat’s UConnect freezes frequently, phone won’t connecr, screen freezes even when you turn the car off, resets itself, etc. only SYNC issue I’ve had is the voice doesn’t always recognize my TX accented words.

But you also can’t beat being able to drop the top and doors and go cruising. Def a hard choice! I’m just lucky my wife loves the Raptor and I love a Jeep
Sponsored