Rubicon vs raptor

alantlee24210

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon Unlimited, Chevrolet - 3500 Pickup, Tahoe, Camaro
In all honestly, the JT (Assuming you meant JT) will most likely be very close to 60k or at 60k when fully loaded. If you can get a Raptor for around that price, I'd say the Raptor should be chosen.
Got a 2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, top electronics, steel bumpers, towing package, hard top for $47 - - - - not close to $60.
Sponsored

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
A raptor for only 60k? What's it missing? My 2017 was well above that and now is running around the 120 mark. Love it. My jl on the other hand was only 54 and so far I've only spent about 10 on aftermarket, prob bc my jl isn't in my hands yet... Two totally different vehicles in my opinion. Raptor is luxury ride. Beyond comfortable and roomy. Meant for fast baja (not that ours goes offroading, yet) while the jeep is more slow rock crawling.... both vehicles are fun, amazing, and great buys in my opinion. Love the amount of aftermarket and personalization both vehicles have to offer. Im a tried and true jeep girl, so jeep always has my vote BUT the day I convinced hunny to go get a raptor, I knew I finally had the best of both worlds, and my perfect king! Either choice would be a good one... but I vote jeep....just cuz its a jeep!

Oakley940

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU, 2010 Chevy Colorado
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Got a 2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, top electronics, steel bumpers, towing package, hard top for $47 - - - - not close to $60.
I'm talking about MSRP and the JT, not JL. I can build a JLUR for 56k. Yea you can get deals but after taxes I would still be over 50k. And with the "intentionally expensive" JT and a diesel, I think it will easily be 60k MSRP.

A raptor for only 60k? What's it missing? My 2017 was well above that and now is running around the 120 mark. Love it. My jl on the other hand was only 54 and so far I've only spent about 10 on aftermarket, prob bc my jl isn't in my hands yet... Two totally different vehicles in my opinion. Raptor is luxury ride. Beyond comfortable and roomy. Meant for fast baja (not that ours goes offroading, yet) while the jeep is more slow rock crawling.... both vehicles are fun, amazing, and great buys in my opinion. Love the amount of aftermarket and personalization both vehicles have to offer. Im a tried and true jeep girl, so jeep always has my vote BUT the day I convinced hunny to go get a raptor, I knew I finally had the best of both worlds, and my perfect king! Either choice would be a good one... but I vote jeep....just cuz its a jeep!
There are brand new raptors near me for 58k MSRP. Didn't look at all the options it had but even a base Raptor is fairly loaded with options.

At the end of the day, I'm hard pressed to see how a JT should be close in price to a Raptor. It just all comes down to how much you are willing to pay, and what your intentions for the vehicle is.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
60 - 120? Huh? My 2013 was 52k out the door with every option except the decals. Google says 2018’s start at 50. Are you saying dealers are marking up because demand is greater than supply? (You may be saying exactly that - I’m not in the loop on Raptor, anymore.)

Anyway, 100% agree with everything you wrote about them being completely unlike vehicles. Apples and oranges. Both awesome, but for different reasons.

FulThrotl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Considering a JL pick up in 2109 or should I jump at a ford raptor instead. How do you think they would compare off-roading? Raptor has bigger engine but nav system looks dated. Apple CarPlay is a must and not sure if raptor has it. Resale value? Thoughts?
you want to buy a ford product, have at it. good luck.

Sponsored

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lurking the forum
60 - 120? Huh? My 2013 was 52k out the door with every option except the decals. Google says 2018’s start at 50. Are you saying dealers are marking up because demand is greater than supply? (You may be saying exactly that - I’m not in the loop on Raptor, anymore.)

Anyway, 100% agree with everything you wrote about them being completely unlike vehicles. Apples and oranges. Both awesome, but for different reasons.
Yes there was a 5k markup due to the demand for the vehicle plus options we wanted.... sticker was just under 80. Now its up to 120 bc of aftermarket (like us jeepers, buy it, remove it, replace it). My hunny just keeps making it better.
Imo.... if you dont get the raptor graphics you are making a mistake. They cause quite a stir when ours growls down the road.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lurking the forum

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Imagine flying through the dirt in a Wrangler with the top down?!

Oh baby :involve:

Sponsored

cbriggs9742

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep 392
I just traded my 2017 Raptor for a JLUR. I loved the truck and I had absolutely zero complaints. It was my second Raptor, I had a Gen 1 prior to that.

This Jeep is my 4th. I just wanted a change and I couldn't take the top off the Raptor. I am waiting another year or two and will be trading my wife's Tahoe in to get another Raptor. But for now, I love my Jeep and can't wait to start the mods.

You can't go wrong with either vehicle, but they're two different animals. Really depends on your needs/wants.

Side note, you can get Raptor's at MSRP, that is what I paid for mine. Just have to do the research and find the right dealer.

JL Rubi Khan

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Limited Edition (#1525 of 1964), 2016 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom
Vehicle Showcase
Coming from a 2018 Raptor to a 2018 Rubicon Unlimited, I’ll be your perfect source to answer your question.

First, Apple CarPlay would come with the Raptor, in the 801a or 802a package (as long as you get the big screen, you have it).

Next, let me address that “bigger engine” you speak of. It’s not bigger, it’s a 3.5L Ecoboost. The power is there for sure, but damn is it underwhelming with the sound and typical driving characteristics (like not getting into it in sport mode or Baja mode). It’s not a slouch, but it’s not necessarily as fun as it looks.

The ride quality, I swear I liked the Gen 1 Raptor better, even though the Gen 2 has upgraded to Fox 3.0s vs 2.5s. Doesn’t quite float along as good as it used to.

Interior quality of Raptor vs. Rubicon, I would maybe give it to the Raptor by a small margin, but I don’t have complaints with either. Comfort went to the Raptor though.

All in all, for off road use, it’s going to be which type you’re all about. If it’s trails and rocks, screw a Raptor. If it’s going to be high speed plowing through dirt and sand, screw the Rubicon.

At the end of the day, I’m very happy that I decided to sell the Raptor and pick up a JL. Cost me $20K less, and I’m driving a vehicle that I feel is actually more fun to drive. Can’t really explain why that is, other than I guess I’m locked in as a Jeep guy.
You bought a 2018 Raptor and have already taken the hit and sold it to get a JL?
Sponsored