Wrangler Rubicon vs Ford Ranger Raptor

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I loved the reasons one gave for liking the Ranger better. It felt more "car like", better for getting groceries, and easier to pick up the kids at school. Get a freakin station wagon guys.
Or a JLU Sahara. :like: And yes I realize I have one.
Sponsored

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
Stupid people like this is why Jeep will eventually kill the solid front axle.
Bronco won’t have it, the real benefits of solid axle is the lack boots and that they are easy to lift. The wrangler will never become IFS. Lifting an IFS you either need to drop the diff or get new axles, it’s a pain. FCA knows what people will tolerate and what they won’t, poor craftsmanship is fine but IFS and people will walk away.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Bronco won’t have it, the real benefits of solid axle is the lack boots and that they are easy to lift. The wrangler will never become IFS. Lifting an IFS you either need to drop the diff or get new axles, it’s a pain. FCA knows what people will tolerate and what they won’t, poor craftsmanship is fine but IFS and people will walk away.
Yep. I'm old enough to remember that people were afraid AMC was going to get rid of the solid front axle when they designed the YJ. There has been much ado about nothing over the years on this topic. Jeep went solid axle on the JL and they are sitting on record sales. I'd bet they will be less likely than ever to change the formula, at least until the next redesign, when the entire powertrain will be rethought, due to electrification. Besides, the JL is just a baby.

The Bronco will be interesting, but I won't be shocked if it has great initial success and then peters off. Just like the Toyota FJ.

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
Yep. I'm old enough to remember that people were afraid AMC was going to get rid of the solid front axle when they designed the YJ. There has been much ado about nothing over the years on this topic. Jeep went solid axle on the JL and they are sitting on record sales. I'd bet they will be less likely than ever to change the formula, at least until the next redesign, when the entire powertrain will be rethought, due to electrification. Besides, the JL is just a baby.

The Bronco will be interesting, but I won't be shocked if it has great initial success and then peters off. Just like the Toyota FJ.
The price is gonna make wranglers look Jeep though. Plus Ford has some real issues with most of their engines whether ecoboost or coyote. I imagine after the first few months sales will drop off. My moms friend bought a second FJ the last year of production because she loved hers so much, I can’t imagine the bronco having the same following.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The price is gonna make wranglers look Jeep though. Plus Ford has some real issues with most of their engines whether ecoboost or coyote. I imagine after the first few months sales will drop off. My moms friend bought a second FJ the last year of production because she loved hers so much, I can’t imagine the bronco having the same following.
It will. It has some history and is iconic. There'll be a couple hundred thousand enthusiasts with a Bronco parked next to their Mustang in the garage. Even with the core following, though, sales slipped on the FJ. Bet they wish they were making it now, though, in today's market.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane

This is exactly what I see happening. The FJ was and still is a great looking ride, but it is just way to limited in what you can do to it per dollar spent, compared to a Wrangler...any wrangler. Don't get me wrong, the FJ is plenty capable, but nothing beats a jeep right out of the box.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic

I've been saying this for months. I expect the Bronco to do a little bit better than the Toyota just because it is Ford, and they have more fan boys.
Sponsored