Sponsored

Raptor? 392?

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Many of the folks responding to the thread on the new 392 have mentioned the Ford Raptor as a potential purchase alternative. I'm guessing the new Ford Bronco will be a closer match.

The Wrangler and the Raptor are completely different classes of vehicle, with virtually nothing in common other than four-wheel-drive and tire brand.

The Raptor is a terrible trail rig. It has mediocre ground clearance that's expensive to significantly and properly improve, and it's as wide as an aircraft carrier, with formed fenders that extend well beyond the truck lines. Okay, it's not that wide -- but it is more than a foot wider than a Wrangler. That makes a huge difference on the trail. If you live in an area where the government is shrinking parking places to force everybody into Priuses, that extra foot also makes the difference between fitting and not fitting in parking places. (I occasionally visit the People's Republik of Eugene, Oregon. In that town, with the exception of the building supply stores which appear to have been given a special exemption, centering the Raptor in a parking spot will put the fenders on both sides of the vehicle over the edge of the painted lines.)

I'm a Raptor fan, but it has plenty of limitations. It's doesn't make sense to modify for trail use, and it can't tow or haul like a regular pickup truck. it is designed for hauling @ss in open spaces, and it's great at that. It's a decent hunting rig too, though putting an elk in the back will change its handling more dramatically than a regular pickup. It's also amazingly comfortable at speed, and the seats are, bar none, the most comfortable seats I have ever sat on. The stereo, ergonomics, and other creature comforts are wonderful too. My wife and I are both old, and we both have bad backs, but we can blast across the country in the Raptor for ten or twelve hour days, while six hours in the Wrangler will leave us both stiff and sore.

I wouldn't discourage anybody from considering a Raptor, but it's not an off-road replacement for a Wrangler.

Jeep Wrangler JL Raptor? 392? Wrangler & Raptor
Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Finally someone with some common sense. I have been saying the same thing. These are nothing alike and not many that actually use a Wrangler would EVER cross shop a Raptor. they are also NOTHING alike in terms of demand, premiums, ADM's etc etc comparing this to a 392 is like comparing and apple and an orange at the grocery store.

CMF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 2021 SAHARA (that my wife lets me drive on the weekends..sometimes.)
I love Wranglers and Raptors, but can't understand why folks are comparing the 2. If anything, the new 2021 F150 Tremor MIGHT be better on trails than the Raptor, which is designed more for dessert racing. Even still, I wouldn't compare a truck with a Jeep.

I think most people compare the 2 due to their similar pricing....

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
They get compared because they both are in the same class according to the VAST majority of buyers. Which class it that you ask? "Super cool rugged trucks". That may not be the official name for the class, but you get the idea.

The most common mistake made here on the forum is assuming that most buyers who buy a Wrangler are looking for an off-road vehicle. The vast majority of buyers look at Wranglers because they are unique, cool, and fairly versatile. The Raptor is also unique and cool, and even more versatile. The Raptor is also way more expensive than most of it's competition...just like the Wrangler.

I can't tell you how many guys i've seen in my area go from a Raptor to a Rubi or the other way. A close friend had a hooked up JK Rubicon which he traded for a Raptor which he later traded for a Gladiator.

OP
OP
Whaler27

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
They get compared because they both are in the same class according to the VAST majority of buyers. Which class it that you ask? "Super cool rugged trucks". That may not be the official name for the class, but you get the idea.

The most common mistake made here on the forum is assuming that most buyers who buy a Wrangler are looking for an off-road vehicle. The vast majority of buyers look at Wranglers because they are unique, cool, and fairly versatile. The Raptor is also unique and cool, and even more versatile. The Raptor is also way more expensive than most of it's competition...just like the Wrangler.

I can't tell you how many guys i've seen in my area go from a Raptor to a Rubi or the other way. A close friend had a hooked up JK Rubicon which he traded for a Raptor which he later traded for a Gladiator.
Perhaps.

Then maybe we should toss in the Ram Powerwagon, BMW X5, Porsche Macan, and a dozen other cool AWD niche vehicles that have little in common with the Wrangler other than coolness and price range. There are lots of them between $60k and $80k.

There are several guys on this forum who traded high-end convertible sports cars for their wranglers. I assume they wanted a change of pace.

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Then maybe we should toss in the Ram Powerwagon, BMW X5, Porsche Macan, and a dozen other cool AWD niche vehicles that have little in common with the Wrangler other than coolness and price range. There are lots of them between $60k and $80k.
Exactly. Every vehicle has it's enthusiast group that use it for its intended purpose...the funny part is how for every vehicle, that group of people just assumes that naturally EVERYONE buying the vehicle is buying it for the same reason. While the truth is that 90% buyers for any given vehicle are just excited about buying a SHINY NEW _______. Most Raptor owners did not buy their truck for off-road endurance racing...they bought it because it's the coolest F-150. Most Rubicon owners did not buy a Rubicon because it's the most off-road capable factory SUV. They bought a Rubicon because it's the coolest Wrangler.

So effectively speaking, the Rubicon, Raptor, TRX, X5m, Trackhawk, Trailhawk, etc are all in the same class...despite all being very different vehicles.

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Exactly. Every vehicle has it's enthusiast group that use it for its intended purpose...the funny part is how for every vehicle, that group of people just assumes that naturally EVERYONE buying the vehicle is buying it for the same reason. While the truth is that 90% buyers for any given vehicle are just excited about buying a SHINY NEW _______. Most Raptor owners did not buy their truck for off-road endurance racing...they bought it because it's the coolest F-150. Most Rubicon owners did not buy a Rubicon because it's the most off-road capable factory SUV. They bought a Rubicon because it's the coolest Wrangler.

So effectively speaking, the Rubicon, Raptor, TRX, X5m, Trackhawk, Trailhawk, etc are all in the same class...despite all being very different vehicles.
Agree. I know plenty with very cool, expensive, rugged, off road looking, lifted, trucks, Jeeps, Hummers, etc. that have never and likely never will leave the road. Different strokes.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
While I agree the Raptor is not an apples to apples comparison to a Wrangler I will say the the Raptor has a drivetrain that can handle all it's power, the 392 Wrangler...lol, hope you saved money for some axles and a real transfer case.

OP
OP
Whaler27

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Most Raptor owners did not buy their truck for off-road endurance racing...they bought it because it's the coolest F-150. Most Rubicon owners did not buy a Rubicon because it's the most off-road capable factory SUV. They bought a Rubicon because it's the coolest Wrangler.

I bought my Raptor because I drove one and loved it. They are a joy to drive. I have no intention of racing it anywhere, but I love driving it fast, as it handles, corners (for a truck), absorbs road irregularities, and it's amazingly comfortable. I can honestly say that "coolness" wasn't one of the reasons for buying it. In fact, part of the reason I had to go to the other side of the country to buy one is that almost all of the fully-loaded Raptors I found in the west were covered in "look at me!" graphics that I didn't want.

I've been buying Jeeps since 1977. They are better at many things than they were back in the day, and they certainly have more creature comforts than they used to, but nobody suggests they are fast, comfortable, good-handling machines with good brakes. They're pretty much still awful in all those categories. What makes them wonderful is their abilities off-road and, for me, the joy of going topless. I used to describe my old CJs as "road-legal, go anywhere, golf-carts for four people and gear".

I don't expect everybody to buy vehicles based on my preferences. I completely agree with the "to each his own" sentiment. No judgment here, so I'm fine with people buying Rubicons as urban grocery-getters. I just don't understand it. It's sort of like wearing camo when you’re not hunting and you’re no longer in the military. Or wearing a huge three-pound dive watch when you don't dive. That wasn't a "thing" until I was almost 40 years old. Now everybody and his dog wears camo and a dive watch, or an imitation dive watch. In my view, it's kinda like walking around all day with a shovel when you have no intention of digging a hole. That makes absolutely no sense to me -- but I don't object to a guy carrying a shovel around all day -- even if he's just going out for dinner and a movie. Maybe it's just a generational difference? Maybe this is what has caused the explosion in Jeep sales?

Last edited:

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
I just don't understand it. It's sort of like wearing camo when you’re not hunting and you’re no longer in the military. Or wearing a huge three-pound dive watch when you don't dive. That wasn't a "thing" until I was almost 40 years old. Now everybody and his dog wears camo and a dive watch, or an imitation dive watch.
You and me both man. Those watches are ridiculous

Maybe this is what has caused the explosion in Jeep sales?
Bingo. In the modern era of social media all one needs is to walk around in "athleisure wear", own a Jeep and a kayak and take lots of pics of same and bam you're a fit outdoorsy person...no need to ever set foot in a gym, on a trail, or near a lake. SO hot right now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Whaler27

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
When I grow up I'm gonna be just like you and own one of each! :CWL:
I wouldn't recommend it unless you win the lottery.

My habits are more mental illness than blessing -- which is why I'll probably be working until I keel over.

My kids don't have the motor-bug. They drive Subaru wagons, go anywhere they want to go, and spend their money hunting, fishing, traveling, diving, skiing, etc... They will do more and be retired long before they reach my age. I wish I was wired like them, but I love stuff with motors.

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
I wouldn't recommend it unless you win the lottery.

My habits are more mental illness than blessing -- which is why I'll probably be working until I keel over.

My kids don't have the motor-bug. They drive Subaru wagons, go anywhere they want to go, and spend their money hunting, fishing, traveling, diving, skiing, etc... They will do more and be retired long before they reach my age. I wish I was wired like them, but I love stuff with motors.
^ This describes me as well. I have multiple vehicles right now - all with low miles. Yet I'm on here because I'm learning all I can about the next vehicle I'll be buying in the next few months - either a new JL or a new Bronco. Oh, and a new side-by-side. It is a sickness!
Sponsored