Sponsored

Goin2drt's Sting Gray JLUR build

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
So the madness begins. I wanted to have a build thread for those to follow, hear my story and view some pics.

I ordered just yesterday our new Rubi.
Ordered Date - 5/19 although I am sure it won't get in the system until Monday
Delivery status- built and KZ status on 6/22.
Delivery Date- 7/9 to dealer. I will get 7/14

Specs
  • Sting Gray JLUR ordered from Jim Marsh (SoCal Dealers are the WORST)
    • 3.6L with Auto Trans
    • Leather Seats - black
    • Body colored roof and fenders
    • Remote Proximity key
    • Smoker's group
    • Steel Bumper
    • Safety group
    • Infotainment
    • LED lights
    • Trailer tow/HD electrical
  • Total MSRP was $54,225 and I got it for the 5% below invoice.
First thing I will have to do is get this baby registered and pay the taxes when I get back home in CA. I will talk about that experience when the time comes

The build - My build will be for these purposes so you understand the logic. Not everyone will enjoy my build and that is ok, there are plenty others to enjoy. 80% will be a daily driver so that will be very important. 20% will be off road. I will build the off road capabilities to the highest level while remembering the 80%.

The build list - I will keep this updated here with links as it is created. Preference, looks, value, quality will be the determining factors. I will also do separate write ups on many of these items I do. In no particular order.
  • Wheels - Hutchinson Beadlocks. One of the only true DOT deadlocks around.
  • 35" tires - Toyo RT's 35x12.5x17
  • 2.5" lift - Rock Krawler Adventure 4 with Fox shocks and added X Factor adjustable LCAs
  • Synergy tie rod and drag link.
  • Fox IFP steering stabilizer
  • Rock rails - these I want rock rails that also have motorized steps for my wife and others to easily get in - Rockslide Engineering the only choice.
  • Canvas back rear mat
  • Tinted Windows
  • Winch - Smittybilt X20 Gen2 10K synthetic
  • Rear tire solution - LOD integrated tire carrier
  • CB radio - Uniden CMX760 from Amazon
  • CB Antenna - Cooltech mount/whip combo installed
  • Air compressor - ARB CKMTA-12. Installed under the seat with Innovative JK mount
  • Tire inflator/deflator solution - built, listed below
  • Tazer JL programmer -Zautomotive
  • AntennaX 21" antenna - Amazon
  • Floor Mats - Husky X act fit. 15% off their website.
  • Bumpers - Complete LOD solution. Signature Series shorty front. Rear is Destroyer shorty with tire carrier
  • D-rings -
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FRH8FJC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • PSC steering system to fix the horrible steering issues with the rig. - I would avoid this upgrade. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/buyer-beware-psc-steering-kit.55980/
  • Redline hood struts
  • Racor top hoist with autopsy brackets
  • Hothead headliners
  • Diode Dynamics SAE Fog 12" light bar
  • AFE high tuck axle back exhaust
  • Quake LED 8 pack RGB rock lights
  • More and More and More will get listed.
The Story - For those that want to read on here is a little of our story. We have owned several Jeeps, albeit no Wranglers. As a matter of fact will will become a two Jeep family as my wife drives a 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and that happens to be her 3rd Grand Cherokee. We have used the Jeep offload as we gave up the dirt bikes and quads as the kids got bigger and we started to pull the GC behind the RV and do lots of exploring but most dirt, fire roads.

Always wanted a Wrangler but for work and personal reasons the Wrangler never fit the bill. Always tried to get the wife to get one when getting a new Jeep but the "roughness" and lack of amenities also kept her away. The main reason, maybe a little silly, was the ability to see well out of all the windows especially the rear on the JK. She is in education and always felt she would be dangerous in the school with that lack of visibility.

Out comes the new JL. It now has a few more of those creature comforts that she likes. So I get her in the rig, she loved it. I tried my best to get her to trade in the GC for the new Wrangler. No go, she loves her GC too much and said why don't you get one instead. So the compromise in the build is where that comes in. She drives 2 miles for work and about 6,000 miles a year, I drive about 18,000 a year for work so that is why the build will be a little more mellow and driver friendly.

I hope you enjoy the build. Any vendors want to partner on the build with us at Supreme Power, PM me.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I started to accumulate some parts and things while waiting for the Jeep. I ordered the CB and the Antenna and mount. Then today I made my 4 tire inflation/deflation contraption that I saw from this video. Trail Recon has some great youtube videos.
IMG_1440.jpg

He does have a list of all the items needed and links to Amazon in his video. In the video they say the cost is around $100. I built mine for more like $150 and mostly because of the high end wheel chucks ($48 alone on Amazon). All the other parts I found at a local hardware place for a few bucks cheaper than Amazon.

Parts needed.
1 - 1/8 by 1/4 coupler (needed for pressure gauge
1 - 1/4 brass T
1 - 1/4 ball valve
1 - 1and a half inch 60 PSI pressure gauge
1 - 50' x 3/8" in air hose
14 - hose clamps (8mm to 16mm)
5 - 3/8 barb X 1/4 MPT brass
3 - 1/4" barb T's
1 - 1/4" brass nipple (i needed these as the ball valve only came in female on both ends so this connected the gauge to the valve.
1 - 1/4" air hose coupler (end that connects to the actual compressor) "quick release end.
4 - air chucks. These you can do much cheaper if you wanted to but I like this idea.
Amazon -https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01938M8MW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Looking forward to seeing your build.

Sponsored

BBDOC

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 5-Series, Honda Civic, Honda Minivan
Looking forward to your build. I am also in SoCal and purchased at Jim Marsh. DMV is a little hassle but not horrible. I have a fully loaded black on black Rubi. Similar build ideas ( almost identical, except I think I’m going with power tank). Love my RSE steps. Still waiting for icon lift. Pics of mine next to the icon 2.5”stage 4/5 lift. Best wishes with your build:like:

F35468DB-97BF-4B18-A823-98EAC32FA3EE.jpeg

F2198CF7-B588-4B07-8F31-F955CDDD1B1C.jpeg

BBDOC

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 5-Series, Honda Civic, Honda Minivan
Agree:like: Haven’t off offroaded since 1991. I’m in need of practice :giggle:. Wow , I didn’t know we could sign up already. Will check it out. Best of luck on your build.

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had a good time at 4 Wheel Parts Jee/Truck Fest in Ontario. Got to talk to and touch a lot of parts and see things up close. Bought the ARB compressor while there. Almost bought the Lange Hoist-A-Cart but didn't think the discount was enough to pull the trigger. Definitely getting the Rockslide Engineering rock sliders and steps. Those are killer. Didn't find any aftermarket bumpers that excited us.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taser install - I will come back here for a review after a few days of use.

Install - I read the Tazer directions here - https://www.zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/TazerJLUserGuide1103.pdf

Getting to the SGW module is a PITA. I did find a little trick though. I got a really long standard screwdriver to reach up and push in on the release tab. I was then able to with my huge hands pull the plugs out gently. I will be leaving this plugged in so I can use the live functions, mainly ESS disable.

Programming was fairly easy following the directions. I had to go through the “marry” process three times before I got the sub menus.

I didn’t change much so far as I do not have a lift or tires yet.
- ESS disable
- Fog lights stay on with brights
- in motion Nav

The fob hangs down a bit in the way. I saw someone had some sort of plug that helps relocate the Tazer. I need to find that and buy it to get it up and out of the way.

Kissell

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Wife's GC Trailhawk. Wheels/Tires/Tinted Windows/Radar Detector. That's it.

GC TH.jpg

New ride from Jim Marsh

588944EA-2EBB-4672-9A6B-748CDD05FDEA.jpeg
Great looking rig!
How was the Jim Marsh experience? Mine is supposed to be there at the end of this week...
Sponsored