Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

"They might not be natural competitors but the Ford Ranger Raptor and Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon are designed to deliver big off-road thrills right out of the box. We wanted to find out which one made us smile most..."

Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
It is weird they did not compare Ranger to Gladiator, but maybe these euro folks haven't got the JT yet.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
And do we have the mid size Raptor here in US yet?

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
Stupid people like this is why Jeep will eventually kill the solid front axle.

Sponsored

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting test, but I wish they had put the same tires on both vehicles, especially for the technical climb part.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
And do we have the mid size Raptor here in US yet?
not yet. but ford is testing the us version of the ranger raptor. will it go into production. i think so. its just a matter of when. to be honest, i'll keep the jeep.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I get that you do not agree with their assertion that the Raptor is the better vehicle, but why do you say they are stupid?
They clearly say that the Wrangler is far and away the better off road machine.
I have driven the Raptor as well. I cross shopped between it and the Jeep. I agree with them. Subjectively, the Raptor is better is nearly every quantifiable way. It rides better on the highway, which is where you spend 95% of the time. It's more comfortable. It's safer. It has more room. It tows more. It's more versatile. and and and.
I still bought a Rubicon though.
While my brain can clearly see the Jeep is worse than the Raptor, my heart doesn't care. I like the Jeep more and I do not need it to be better than the Raptor, nor do I need other people to think it's better.

The steering and weld issues do piss me off though. Especially as much as they are charging.
Even my 2013 Defender 110 had better steering than the Jeep. I have gotten death wobble a couple times already. I am due next week for the re-call, which I hope fixes it.
I have owned loads of vehicles with solid axles and only other one I have had that got it was my old 80 series LC.
We pay a shit ton of money to Jeep. It is not our job to apologies for them and make excuses. It is reasonable to demand a well engineered product.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i hope not. i think jeep will keep the solid front axle as part of the jeep wrangler history.

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Geez... It takes them all of 1 minute to bitch about the steering on the JL. I've had mine for 8 months and over 10k miles and the steering is fine.
Count your blessings. Mine steers like a leaf in a hurricane and they can't/won't fix it.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
I get that you do not agree with their assertion that the Raptor is the better vehicle, but why do you say they are stupid?
They clearly say that the Wrangler is far and away the better off road machine.
I have driven the Raptor as well. I cross shopped between it and the Jeep. I agree with them. Subjectively, the Raptor is better is nearly every quantifiable way. It rides better on the highway, which is where you spend 95% of the time. It's more comfortable. It's safer. It has more room. It tows more. It's more versatile. and and and.
I still bought a Rubicon though.
While my brain can clearly see the Jeep is worse than the Raptor, my heart doesn't care. I like the Jeep more and I do not need it to be better than the Raptor, nor do I need other people to think it's better.

The steering and weld issues do piss me off though. Especially as much as they are charging.
Even my 2013 Defender 110 had better steering than the Jeep. I have gotten death wobble a couple times already. I am due next week for the re-call, which I hope fixes it.
I have owned loads of vehicles with solid axles and only other one I have had that got it was my old 80 series LC.
We pay a shit ton of money to Jeep. It is not our job to apologies for them and make excuses. It is reasonable to demand a well engineered product.

Simple. They are stupid.

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
Count your blessings. Mine steers like a leaf in a hurricane and they can't/won't fix it.
Where do you keep your tire pressure? I felt like I was driving on balloons and was all over the place until I dropped the pressure to around 31psi.
Sponsored