Sponsored

Rubicon vs raptor

Wdh777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hoping to get a JLL
Considering a JL pick up in 2109 or should I jump at a ford raptor instead. How do you think they would compare off-roading? Raptor has bigger engine but nav system looks dated. Apple CarPlay is a must and not sure if raptor has it. Resale value? Thoughts?
Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
$20k markup on raptor, no thanks, i refuse

Diaz27

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw 435xi
raptor has apple car play as well. offroading the wrangler is better, but everything else i would give it to the raptor. question is, do you want to spend the extra 20k like the above post said

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
Coming from a 2018 Raptor to a 2018 Rubicon Unlimited, I’ll be your perfect source to answer your question.

First, Apple CarPlay would come with the Raptor, in the 801a or 802a package (as long as you get the big screen, you have it).

Next, let me address that “bigger engine” you speak of. It’s not bigger, it’s a 3.5L Ecoboost. The power is there for sure, but damn is it underwhelming with the sound and typical driving characteristics (like not getting into it in sport mode or Baja mode). It’s not a slouch, but it’s not necessarily as fun as it looks.

The ride quality, I swear I liked the Gen 1 Raptor better, even though the Gen 2 has upgraded to Fox 3.0s vs 2.5s. Doesn’t quite float along as good as it used to.

Interior quality of Raptor vs. Rubicon, I would maybe give it to the Raptor by a small margin, but I don’t have complaints with either. Comfort went to the Raptor though.

All in all, for off road use, it’s going to be which type you’re all about. If it’s trails and rocks, screw a Raptor. If it’s going to be high speed plowing through dirt and sand, screw the Rubicon.

At the end of the day, I’m very happy that I decided to sell the Raptor and pick up a JL. Cost me $20K less, and I’m driving a vehicle that I feel is actually more fun to drive. Can’t really explain why that is, other than I guess I’m locked in as a Jeep guy.

Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
$20k markup on raptor, no thanks, i refuse
The 20k markup may have been valid a year or two ago but that is simply no longer the case if you take a minute to call around. There are several dealers advertising that they have raptors for msrp and many dealers have them in stock. Several on the raptor forums are reporting sales for 1-2k under msrp...

Sponsored

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
The 20k markup may have been valid a year or two ago but that is simply no longer the case if you take a minute to call around. There are several dealers advertising that they have raptors for msrp and many dealers have them in stock. Several on the raptor forums are reporting sales for 1-2k under msrp...
I will validate this. I paid about $1K under sticker on my $61800 SuperCrew 801a Raptor

Oakley940

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU, 2010 Chevy Colorado
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I will validate this. I paid about $1K under sticker on my $61800 SuperCrew 801a Raptor
In all honestly, the JT (Assuming you meant JT) will most likely be very close to 60k or at 60k when fully loaded. If you can get a Raptor for around that price, I'd say the Raptor should be chosen.

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Both really cool vehicles but totally different philosophies of use. If going faster over non technical terrain than the Raptor would be the choice. The Raptor is also going to have a smoother ride with IFS suspension to include street driving.

More technical offroading is where the Wrangler shines. This includes rock crawling as well as trails more difficult than simple fire roads. I live in Colorado and a lot of our trails are surrounded pretty closely by pine trees. While the Raptor could handle the terrain, there are many places where it simply is too big. Theres a reason many car washes have signs specifically saying no Raptors allowed.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Coming from a 2018 Raptor to a 2018 Rubicon Unlimited, I’ll be your perfect source to answer your question.

First, Apple CarPlay would come with the Raptor, in the 801a or 802a package (as long as you get the big screen, you have it).

Next, let me address that “bigger engine” you speak of. It’s not bigger, it’s a 3.5L Ecoboost. The power is there for sure, but damn is it underwhelming with the sound and typical driving characteristics (like not getting into it in sport mode or Baja mode). It’s not a slouch, but it’s not necessarily as fun as it looks.

The ride quality, I swear I liked the Gen 1 Raptor better, even though the Gen 2 has upgraded to Fox 3.0s vs 2.5s. Doesn’t quite float along as good as it used to.

Interior quality of Raptor vs. Rubicon, I would maybe give it to the Raptor by a small margin, but I don’t have complaints with either. Comfort went to the Raptor though.

All in all, for off road use, it’s going to be which type you’re all about. If it’s trails and rocks, screw a Raptor. If it’s going to be high speed plowing through dirt and sand, screw the Rubicon.

At the end of the day, I’m very happy that I decided to sell the Raptor and pick up a JL. Cost me $20K less, and I’m driving a vehicle that I feel is actually more fun to drive. Can’t really explain why that is, other than I guess I’m locked in as a Jeep guy.
Had a 2014 Gen 1... that V8 was anything but underwhelming. Effing LOVED that truck, and wish I kept it.

That said, a Wrangler is much more nimble. Raptor was huge for off-road (but effing badass).

JT - guessing it will be more nimble than Raptor, but if I were in the market for a pickup I’d go Ford unless off-road is your primary use.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Before I got my JL, I was considering a 2018 Raptor. I have a good friend and wheeling buddy that has had Raptors for several years. I've wheeled with him, both with his TJ and his Raptor. The Raptor does surprising well on the rocks, except for it's size. It is just too large for many of the places we go. He had a 2017, but after a short time, sold it and went back to a 2014 Raptor. He just preferred the V8 and was able to sell it for what he paid for it and find a used 2014 for $30K less save a bit of money. It was in talking to him that I decided to get the JL I had ordered rather than go Raptor. I just couldnt see spending $40K for a used truck.

Sponsored

Pn221

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
I have both and the raptor is far more comfortable and much faster than my Rubicon.

I don’t see how a Jeep can beat a Raptor in any category besides rock crawling off road, pricing or looks which is quite a subjective discussion.

If I had to choose one it would objectively be a raptor IMHO.

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
I had planned on getting a Raptor, but with the 15k markups when they came out I decided to wait until the ridiculous mark up stopped. If I were deciding between the two and paying MSRP or invoice it would be tough to choose the Jeep if I had the need for a pickup. The Jeep is probably $10k less, but does not have the capability of hauling or towing that the Raptor would. The Jeep has the ability to remove the top, and as mentioned is better on rocks and trails. Raptor is probably more comfortable and has more power. It really comes down to what you plan to use it for. Of course if it is not you already have a truck, there is nothing to compete with the Jeep

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
Had a 2014 Gen 1... that V8 was anything but underwhelming. Effing LOVED that truck, and wish I kept it.

That said, a Wrangler is much more nimble. Raptor was huge for off-road (but effing badass).

JT - guessing it will be more nimble than Raptor, but if I were in the market for a pickup I’d go Ford unless off-road is your primary use.
I was referring to the Gen 2 V6, primarily due to sound and performance outside of sport mode. As for the Gen 1 V8, awesome sound, but I feel the performance was pretty lacking at 411 HP for that big of a truck. Felt a lot better in the V6 variant with 450 HP, 510 tq. So give me a V8 with at least those numbers and I’d be set

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I have both and the raptor is far more comfortable and much faster than my Rubicon.

I don’t see how a Jeep can beat a Raptor in any category besides rock crawling off road, pricing or looks which is quite a subjective discussion.

If I had to choose one it would objectively be a raptor IMHO.
True story that I can share b
I was referring to the Gen 2 V6, primarily due to sound and performance outside of sport mode. As for the Gen 1 V8, awesome sound, but I feel the performance was pretty lacking at 411 HP for that big of a truck. Felt a lot better in the V6 variant with 450 HP, 510 tq. So give me a V8 with at least those numbers and I’d be set
Knew a guy who supercharged his V8 Gen 1. Holy moly, that thing screamed. Unfortunately, he totaled it a short time after completing that mod... he blames the other driver, but fact is he was a menace in that thing!

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
True story that I can share b

Knew a guy who supercharged his V8 Gen 1. Holy moly, that thing screamed. Unfortunately, he totaled it a short time after completing that mod... he blames the other driver, but fact is he was a menace in that thing!
I did drive a 600 hp supercharged version, and I will say that it was a power house. But that’s just additional money to spend on top of the money to even buy the truck in the first place. At the end of the day, FCA will be answering with a competitor. Keep an eye out for it at the LA auto show this year................
Sponsored