Jeepfamilia

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Ok , some background …
I’ve had current gen 4 runner 1 JKR 2 JLRs and 1 JLUR and I just ordered my wife a 392 JLUR XR…. So I’m very familiar with the Rubicon.

is a Willys comparable to a 4 runner in capability more so than a rubicon ?

I always come back to a jeep and really like the product .
Only thing is I do basic trails and don’t care to rock climb or do anything too difficult or technical . Most technical thing might be like black bear pass or something….

It’s more of a daily and once every 2 month off-roader …
Would a Willys fulfill 90 percent of what I want ?

im Looking to stay more on the budget side since im about to buy the 83k rubicon for my wife…

Thanks !
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum!

My understanding is lower level 4Runners have open diffs; TRD Off-Road and Pro have a rear locker.

So from that standpoint alone, Willys with its standard rear LSD sits between 4Runner SR5 with open diffs, and TRD Off-Road with rear locker.

Beyond that, 4Runner drives better on-road due to its IFS; Willys is more at ease off-road due to its solid axles.

TFL has several videos showing what a stock base Willys 2-door can do. It is pretty impressive.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I daily drive both, 4Runner and two-door Rubicon. The 4R is a nicer daily driver that does all the weekend warrior stuff. The 4R A-trac works almost as well as a mechanical lsd but the vehicle is nicer when not on the trail, so...its nicer 99% of the time to drive on road and as effective on 95% of the trails. The 4R is boring though. It just goes, comfortably, but lacks character.

SurfJeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Willys
I have a Willys and love it.. If I were doing it over again, knowing what I know now, I’d have a Rubicon and would love that.

I can’t speak to the 4R.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I’ve had 4 runner and a GX460. They are good vehicles, a step above crosovers, not a lot of soul. Fits in perfect in the school car line. But they have no soul. Practical and safe.

If you buy your wife a 392, everyone will think you got stuck driving her unwanted mom mobile. Of course you could get the nice smooth riding and quiet 4runner and have her prefer that and then you get the 392! Is it worth the gamble?

Get a 2 door, six speed, soft top Willys and have your own fun Jeep.

OP
OP

Jeepfamilia

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I’ve had 4 runner and a GX460. They are good vehicles, a step above crosovers, not a lot of soul. Fits in perfect in the school car line. But they have no soul. Practical and safe.

If you buy your wife a 392, everyone will think you got stuck driving her unwanted mom mobile. Of course you could get the nice smooth riding and quiet 4runner and have her prefer that and then you get the 392! Is it worth the gamble?

Get a 2 door, six speed, soft top Willys and have your own fun Jeep.
lol
My wife also has a hellcat challenger and I have a 2015 Z/28. She like brute raw force. I like smooth
And precise …lol I like the simplicity of a 2 door jeep but I just don’t want to spend 60k for myself on one …

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I have to disagree with the general consensus that the 4RUNNER is a better road vehicle. I have an 05 limited V8 that I have put 202K mi. on and a new 392 . The Jeep rides smoother, doesn’t jar my teeth on every bump or pothole, doesn’t sway nearly as much, seats are comparable (both suck, rock hard) ,vision is better, steering is surprisingly comparable, performance need not be mentioned, and also surprisingly the mileage is almost the same but I will give the Toyota this, the rear window rolls down into the tailgate.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Oh yeah, the 4RUNNER doesn’t have neutral in the transfer case so it can’t be flat towed (one of my excuses to get the Jeep)

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
I have had several Toyotas and a couple Jeeps. I do not enjoy driving Toyotas; not because they are not capable, but because they are boring to me. Uninspiring. Did not make me smile when I looked at them. But that's just my opinion. The only other vehicle I have had that came close to my Jeep was my 1995 Defender 90. That was the one that got away.

Sponsored

Litfury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2022 Rubicon XR Hydro Blue
I had a 2017 off road premium with the KDSS. I hated that car more than any other vehicle I’ve ever owned. The body roll around corners on that thing was horrendous. Interior was so dated I felt like I had been transported back 15 years. But that’s just my opinion haha.

JoeBanks

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport JLU
Ok , some background …
I’ve had current gen 4 runner 1 JKR 2 JLRs and 1 JLUR and I just ordered my wife a 392 JLUR XR…. So I’m very familiar with the Rubicon.

is a Willys comparable to a 4 runner in capability more so than a rubicon ?

I always come back to a jeep and really like the product .
Only thing is I do basic trails and don’t care to rock climb or do anything too difficult or technical . Most technical thing might be like black bear pass or something….

It’s more of a daily and once every 2 month off-roader …
Would a Willys fulfill 90 percent of what I want ?

im Looking to stay more on the budget side since im about to buy the 83k rubicon for my wife…

Thanks !
I compared the 4Runner/JLU Sport/JLU Willys Sport and for my personal usage (which is pretty much what you are describing) the clear winner was the Willys Sport. It has rear LSD, better tires, Rubicon shocks and (important to me) is still available in manual transmission and was about $10K less than a Rubi.
I'm still waiting for the build/delivery...as you probably know ordering is the cheaper option but requires quite a bit of patience.
Good luck on your choice.

OP
OP

Jeepfamilia

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
First, you need to give the Willys to your wife and you keep the 392....you had that backwards sir....
lol

I don’t really care for the 392 version ….because it’s a 4 door . If it was a 2 door…:yeah I’d like one but I don’t feel like paying 70k+ when I have a sport coupe with a 427.

ResGuy68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 4Runner, 16 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I had a 2017 off road premium with the KDSS. I hated that car more than any other vehicle I’ve ever owned. The body roll around corners on that thing was horrendous. Interior was so dated I felt like I had been transported back 15 years. But that’s just my opinion haha.
Yep. It's sad to see what the 4runner has become. Somehow made worse with each generation.

We're the user in a 3rd gen (or 4th gen w/ V8) 4runner, I might suggest they keep it and simply juice it up a little (lift, armor, etc.). But I don't see the point in doing so on their current offering.
Sponsored