Rock slide Engineering fail

BBDOC

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 5-Series, Honda Civic, Honda Minivan
So sad to hear of all the people that have had a bad experience with these steps. These have been absolutely amazing to me and my family for our JLUR. I have a lift and 37’s and can’t imagine on a daily basis living without these steps. I use it as a daily driver and an off-road toy. It has been through some tough stuff and It’s a little banged up but it still works great. I have had to bend parts back after it infringed on the opening of the step after rock crawling and it still works great. I never got the additional protection but I am thinking about it now mostly to cover all my rock blemishes. Just FYI, I always flip the switch off when wheeling just to make sure I have no issues.
I did have a problem within the first year with my driver side step and they sent a whole new driver side to me in a few days. I had to pay for labor again but It was well worth it to me. One of my favorite Jeep mods and absolutely wouldn’t hesitate to buy them again. Best wishes everyone. Enjoy the ride :).
I’ll try to add some pictures so you all know I’m not a troll and no I do not work for RSE.

BA6D758A-BC53-45A0-80F2-1DAB168B86A8.jpeg

077CEEF5-D766-472E-A398-CDE5C5FFCC57.png

4B804639-D924-450C-9B7E-4688EB6F2994.jpeg

79681921-3F20-49C1-81F8-77B2F9199EBA.jpeg

View attachment 369914

F1078A32-C2DE-4F0D-A5A7-B17159C2F753.jpeg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
The slider failed while I was in Costco parking lot. No where near rocks. I have a feeling that the actuator pin was slightly bent either at manufacturer or installation. This allowed the bar to come off. I use the steps every day. Hopefully this is a one time thing.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Anybody know off hand what the price on these are during black Friday holiday time?

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
So sad to hear of all the people that have had a bad experience with these steps. These have been absolutely amazing to me and my family for our JLUR. I have a lift and 37’s and can’t imagine on a daily basis living without these steps. I use it as a daily driver and an off-road toy. It has been through some tough stuff and It’s a little banged up but it still works great. I have had to bend parts back after it infringed on the opening of the step after rock crawling and it still works great. I never got the additional protection but I am thinking about it now mostly to cover all my rock blemishes. Just FYI, I always flip the switch off when wheeling just to make sure I have no issues.
I did have a problem within the first year with my driver side step and they sent a whole new driver side to me in a few days. I had to pay for labor again but It was well worth it to me. One of my favorite Jeep mods and absolutely wouldn’t hesitate to buy them again. Best wishes everyone. Enjoy the ride :).
I’ll try to add some pictures so you all know I’m not a troll and no I do not work for RSE.

View attachment 369914
Labor for install is $800 around here. I've checked several places and they're all the same. So having to pay even half the labor AGAIN, isn't a realistic option for the vast majority.

This has been at the top of list of next mods. I get that there are probably plenty of people that have had great success with RSE. But there are sufficient people with issues that I have to pause. There is really only one other similar product out there, but the reviews for survivability when using it as an actual slider aren't that great.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Labor for install is $800 around here. I've checked several places and they're all the same. So having to pay even half the labor AGAIN, isn't a realistic option for the vast majority.

This has been at the top of list of next mods. I get that there are probably plenty of people that have had great success with RSE. But there are sufficient people with issues that I have to pause. There is really only one other similar product out there, but the reviews for survivability when using it as an actual slider aren't that great.
The cost of the installation is not cheap. I had the skid plate installed on the RSE slider. Now the slider looks good. I am cautiously optimistic about the slider. Time will tell.

MT1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
If you can use basic tools and can hang up a light fixture, you can install them yourself. It does take some patience and time. It’s been a year since I put them on, so I don’t remember all the specifics. I know I spent one Saturday mounting them and that Sunday doing the wiring. They are very heavy when trying to mount them so it helps to have an extra hand. I didn’t, so I had to stack up a bunch of weights on the floor and rest the stair on top of them to get the mounting points as close as I could to put the bolts through. That part wasn’t fun. The other part that I remember being a pain was the wiring under the dash because there wasn’t a lot of room.

BBDOC

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 5-Series, Honda Civic, Honda Minivan
My cost for the replacement labor was $200 total. The initial install was $500. Work done in SoCal. I have smashed and dragged around rocks on many trails and these have done extremely well. They are bent, bruised and scraped up and still working. To each his/her own. Definitely worth the cost for me. It does what I want it to do

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Slider repaired and skid plates installed. Looks great. I also scribed a line around the magnet so if it moves out of position I can fix it.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Heard of several RSE failures around here. Many ongoing. Especially if you have winter roads with salt/deicer and slush. "Great, when they work."

Sponsored

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Installed mine over the weekend, got the free lights in the deal and also splurged on getting the skid plates. So far no issues, will see how they hold up over time.

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
Had mine on for little over 10K miles about a year and half and had no real issues, few times had the magnet move that made the step not close. Thankfully I didn't pay retail price for these and installed them myself. From what's available on the market, RSE is the best power step/slider you can get until someone else can design something better, I and everyone who tried them love them.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
My cost for the replacement labor was $200 total. The initial install was $500. Work done in SoCal. I have smashed and dragged around rocks on many trails and these have done extremely well. They are bent, bruised and scraped up and still working. To each his/her own. Definitely worth the cost for me. It does what I want it to do
Its good to see some good reviews. I'm really considering buying a set. I have a 4 year old, 5 year old, and a short wife so these are appealing. Local dealer quoted me a bit under MAP and $400 for installation.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Its good to see some good reviews. I'm really considering buying a set. I have a 4 year old, 5 year old, and a short wife so these are appealing. Local dealer quoted me a bit under MAP and $400 for installation.
I got one of the very first sets so I had issue out of the gate. I have had them on now for over 2 years and I live in rain, snow, salt area. Here is my $.02.
1. You can install them yourself with ease. I am not even mechanically inclined and I did it by myself, no joke that easy.
2. I use silicone spray for all the moving parts and I spray them down every 6 months or so especially right before winter and a few times during.
3. One of the circlips on a hinge pin came off and was making a clanking noise when closing as it wasn't aligned. Cost $.32 to fix and I bought a few extra.

Honestly there is nothing like it on the market or maybe more folks would leave RSE but you just can't beat them for the step and the rock protection factor. Not to mention they look way better than all the rest out there.

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am super happy with the RSE sliders. Now that I know what to do if the steps fail to retract. Check the position of the magnet.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock slide Engineering fail 20200913_082110
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock slide Engineering fail 20200913_082039
Sponsored