Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
I just installed my Gen 3 RSE sliders this weekend. I've come across two problems and didn't know if anyone has had similar issues. First, I'm getting a loud banging when the passenger side closes. Almost like it's banging metal on metal. I installed the slider and didn't have the issue. It seems like the first time I stepped on it, it started making that noise after that. I've called RSE. They had me adjust the nut on the tensioner spring, but that didn't help. RSE said they would send me rubber bump stops to help with the noise. The right side is buttery smooth, no issues.

Also having a small problem with the left side circuit board connection. The plug is fully seated, tab locked, but the slider will sometimes not open. I have to disconnect the plug, reconnect it, the system resets, and it works again. I've been told to pull the fuse to "reset the system" the next time, but curious if anyone else is having similar problems?

Passenger side (no issues):

Driver side:

Sponsored

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
About to install my RSE gen 3 sliders. I hope there will be no issues. My sister and I both had them on our 2018’s and hers were problematic and mine were not. For a brief moment I considered not getting powered steps again, but I enjoyed them SO much on the 18 JL, and every pickup I’ve had power steps on.
i just don’t have the patience lately to put up with issues on brand new parts.
good luck and keep us posted.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
So it's not a lubricant issue. The step feels misaligned as when I try to retract it manually it feels like it's catching on something. I.e., won't go up smoothly past that midway point. Additionally, I noticed that when the step is fully down (door open) -- the driver side (where I'm having the issue) there's a lot of movement when you put weight on the step. The passenger side exhibits no movement whatsoever when weight is on it.

Therefore based on what I'm seeing, it seems something internally came loose that keeps the step moving in a certain plane, and that is now misaligned.

OP
OP
cball508

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
So it's not a lubricant issue. The step feels misaligned as when I try to retract it manually it feels like it's catching on something. I.e., won't go up smoothly past that midway point. Additionally, I noticed that when the step is fully down (door open) -- the driver side (where I'm having the issue) there's a lot of movement when you put weight on the step. The passenger side exhibits no movement whatsoever when weight is on it.

Therefore based on what I'm seeing, it seems something internally came loose that keeps the step moving in a certain plane, and that is now misaligned.
That sucks. Sorry to hear that. Are yours gen 3? I spoke with RSE about my issue and they are sending out bump stops. I will let everyone know how that goes and if it fixes the clanking sound

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
That sucks. Sorry to hear that. Are yours gen 3? I spoke with RSE about my issue and they are sending out bump stops. I will let everyone know how that goes and if it fixes the clanking sound
Not sure, bought them in February.

Sponsored

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
I've had the Gen IIIs installed for about a month now. I haven't noticed the sound you are experiencing but I have had the electrical issue happen a few times now. I've been trying to figure it out or at least get a better idea of what's going on before I call RSE about it. Glad I came across your post here so I know I'm not the only one. Have you asked RSE about it?

OP
OP
cball508

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
I've had the Gen IIIs installed for about a month now. I haven't noticed the sound you are experiencing but I have had the electrical issue happen a few times now. I've been trying to figure it out or at least get a better idea of what's going on before I call RSE about it. Glad I came across your post here so I know I'm not the only one. Have you asked RSE about it?
I did. They recommended the next time it happens to do a hard reset by pulling out the main fuse by the battery and seeing if that fixes it. Of course I haven't had it do it again now since I called lol

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
I did. They recommended the next time it happens to do a hard reset by pulling out the main fuse by the battery and seeing if that fixes it. Of course I haven't had it do it again now since I called lol
Two times ago, I reset the plug at the step as you described. Then it happened again a couple days ago. I tried pulling the main fuse and the step did the automatic down/up routine but did not go down when opening the door. Didn't have time to troubleshoot longer so we jumped in the other car. Next day, I re-seated all the passenger side connections, even the door sensors, and nothing. Pulled the main fuse again and they started working. That left me thinking maybe I didn't have the main fuse out long enough when I tried it before. So, next time, I planned to pull the main fuse for longer period of time. BTW, the wife is not impressed.

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
My Gen IIIs just showed up this week and need a weekend to install and the courage to attempt the body mount bolts without breaking them as is commonly reported. I will keep an eye on the step operation as well as any electrical gremlins.

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
My Gen IIIs just showed up this week and need a weekend to install and the courage to attempt the body mount bolts without breaking them as is commonly reported. I will keep an eye on the step operation as well as any electrical gremlins.
I didn't have any issue with breaking the body mount bolts (I didn't realize this was common). A few of them were difficult to get the RSE bracket between the bolt head and the washer. Had to pound a few in.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cball508

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
I didn't have any issue with breaking the body mount bolts (I didn't realize this was common). A few of them were difficult to get the RSE bracket between the bolt head and the washer. Had to pound a few in.
Same here. I did have problem with my bolts. I couldn't get enough of a gap between the spacer and bolt for the bracket, so I was one of the lucky ones as per the instructions that had to file the first two threads on the bolt to get 2 of the 6 brackets to fit. It was a bitch, but all good, and everything is torqued back down to spec.

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Mine we kinda loud on my gladiator, but I got used to it. My passengers never did!

On the bright side, the bang assures you they closed and the save your seat bolsters from ass dragiing in and out. I will probably get them for my next Jl as well.

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
Mine we kinda loud on my gladiator, but I got used to it. My passengers never did!

On the bright side, the bang assures you they closed and the save your seat bolsters from ass dragiing in and out. I will probably get them for my next Jl as well.
I also like the reassuring "thunk" of the steps coming up.

FINN 2.0

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR. 1979 Ford 150.
I ordered the Gen 3 RSE sliders 3 1/2 months ago through Quadratec and still no word when. Anybody having better luck getting theirs?

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
I ordered the Gen 3 RSE sliders 3 1/2 months ago through Quadratec and still no word when. Anybody having better luck getting theirs?
I kept calling Northridge 4x4 about once a week until they showed up. I ordered in end of June and they showed up last week. Drop shipped from RSE.
Sponsored