Sponsored

Roam sidestep Rust

laniercruzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
Wow, I was just about to pull the trigger on these things for my new Jeep, thank god I stumbled on this post first...
Sponsored

Recursion

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Holy !**@...I was lucky to have bedlined them as soon as they arrived. No rusting, yet.

ogjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep Wrangler Turbo 2 door Mojito
You guys all do realize he has an old version of the steps. There are multiple key differences in what is shown here and what is currently being sold. All rust related issues have been addressed with the new e coating process where the whole step is completely submerged. I ran my mk2 rock rails all across the country through snow in the Rockies and streets of salty Chicago and they still have no rust. These are the nicest step/sliders on the market for the price. Hands down...

Grindylow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
You guys all do realize he has an old version of the steps. There are multiple key differences in what is shown here and what is currently being sold. All rust related issues have been addressed with the new e coating process where the whole step is completely submerged. I ran my mk2 rock rails all across the country through snow in the Rockies and streets of salty Chicago and they still have no rust. These are the nicest step/sliders on the market for the price. Hands down...
SO glad you posted this! My step/sliders were delivered a couple weeks ago and I'm looking forward to installing them when I get back from this business trip. I like the look of the bed-liner covered units but I'm impatient to get wrenching on the mountain of mods I have waiting for me and didn't want to have to wait to get mine lined before mounting.

Sponsored

jimmyzwheelz

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon 2DR
Agreed! Mine are flawless. The new e-coat still looks great after almost a year installed.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
My Jeep spends half its time in the desert. My ROAM rails have been abused on the desert/mountain trails and have been bottomed out on the rocks many times. Trail damaged sides and bottoms are easily repaired with sandpaper, a wire brush, and a rattle can. The untouched areas of my rails are still in perfect condition. There are no signs of any rust. However, I do wash and wax my Jeep after our weekly group runs.

I spend an equal amount of time in the salty and damp air of my S.F. Bay Area community. This past winter, my Jeep spent a lot of time in the snow, as well.

When on the rocks, they have proven to be more than adequate. I can only imagine the tub damage if not for having these ROAM rails mounted. They have been put to the test and have paid for themselves many times over.

I always had good communications with Anthony, while waiting for my frame mounted rails. If I had any complaints, it would be only one . . . They took an extremely long time to ship and arrive. However, I have been very pleased with this purchase and they were definitely worth the wait.

Based on my personal experience(s) and use of my ROAM rails, I have had a completely positive experience thus far. I have beat on them about as hard as I plan to.

I have had my Jeep for some 11 months. It has travelled some 22,3xx fun filled miles. The ROAM rails have been in use for a greater majority of those said miles.

OP
OP

Mjfloyd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
It’s great that the new e coated steps are holding up well.

Unfortunately the original sidesteps had a poor coating and it was apparently so bad that Roam went with a different coater and process. They have decided that the people who helped them get the company up and running by buying the Gen 1 steps are unimportant and have chosen to charge even more to exchange the steps for the newer e coated steps- that is if they even choose to reply and follow through with their “upgrade” path.

Integrity- doing what is right even when no one is watching

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
You guys all do realize he has an old version of the steps.
Probably not, because they’ve been MIA on these threads to tell people otherwise. It’s good to hear that they supposedly fixed things, but it’s no excuse for the countless examples of shit customer service I’ve read about.

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
So what is the verdict / concensus at this point - have the new MK3 fixed the rust issues and the company has been able to fill orders in a reasonable matter now? The consistent reports like the customer service, waitings 6+ months, and rust have held me back from a great looking product.

Sponsored

Recursion

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So what is the verdict / concensus at this point - have the new MK3 fixed the rust issues and the company has been able to fill orders in a reasonable matter now? The consistent reports like the customer service, waitings 6+ months, and rust have held me back from a great looking product.
The new rails are e-coated, so rust shouldn't be a problem anymore. It's what other vendors are doing these days. As for waiting time, I'm not sure. I'd go by what the latest posts.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
You guys do realize there is a difference between correcting a defect in a new model and making things right with the people who purchased your product prior to the correction. The new product may be great but the company is not reputable. If they were they would recall the POS rails they sold to us and refund/replace at their cost - not ours. I'm driving a beautiful 2018 wrangler with rusty steps. There is no excuse for this.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
For what it's worth, I have the frame-mounted, 2DR sidesteps/rock sliders purchased in October and installed a little over a month ago on my Jeep. They've seen light rain, no salt, no ocean air, garage kept. I took them off today to work on the the LED lights, and the inside of the top/front weld is rusted on both of them. It's the only place I was able to see rust, but I don't have mirrors or anything to look in all the nooks and crannies.

IMG_0131.jpeg

I was able to scrape off the rust and hit it with a spray can, but I don't have great faith in them for next winter when I'm around salt if they're already rusting in the little water they've seen.
Sponsored