Roam sidestep Rust

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
See you take apples and make very hard cider out of them like my pappy and girlfriend's dad did. Damn if them two old farts didn't make a batch that tasted like koolaid but kicked like a mule! I had 1 glass and it was party time.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I’m a self admitted roam fan boy. They are located about an hour from me. I love to buy local when it makes sense. That said, I began talking to Anthony around sept of last year when we ordered our JL. I have always had great luck getting thru to him with email. Might take up to a week at worst but he’s told me himself he gets atleast 150 emails a day. I don’t have to handle that volume of communication and imagine it would be daunting. Not trying to make excuses for him but he’s a one man band for sales/service and could probably use some help.

For the rust issues, there’s no excuse. I know they farm that out to a vendor in Wyoming I believe. They are paying good money and expect a quality product just like the consumer. They haven’t been receiving that and it has trickled down to as customers. I know they have changed vendors at least once but I think a couple times due to the complaints from the durability.

I’m not in the powdercoat game and I’d be at their mercy by assuming and expecting them to turn out quality. Unless you can control every build aspect, there is always a possibility some QC issues slip thru the cracks.

A personal example is I bought an alignment machine to ensure the jeeps we turn out are set up correctly when they leave. Not many shops have this luxury for some reason but it’s another way I can control consistency and it being done right. Lots of lifted vehicle issues would be avoided if the companies didn’t have to rely on others. Firestone might be great for grandmas buick but so they know the intricacies of the JL and what it really needs to set at for caster and toe vs what the factory specs are?

They are trying to make it right. They need to step up and help those with unacceptable rust and I believe they are. If we get rust on either set tomorrow or in 2 years I’ll blast them and line them.

Brett

ogjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep Wrangler Turbo 2 door Mojito
I really feel the need to chime in here since this has been covered extensively now in multiple threads.
1. Roam was the first the introduce step/sliders for the JLU.
2. Only a small percentage of the first batch of MK1 steps was affected by the poor powder coating. MK2 and MK3 steps which are the only ones available now are e-coated.
3. Roam has announced multiple times they have solutions for those who bought any affected steps.
4. I have beat the crap out of my roam products without a single fault across country through moab and the Rockies multiples times. Creek crossings. Mud. Snowy mountain passes. Not a spec of corrosion on one product.
5. There are multiple products from multiple companies that sell you bare metal products. Shoot even weld your own bumper kits. These guys stepped up and changed their whole entire coating process. Which isnt cheap or easy.
6. They listen to the customers and are active online , granted I heard they were hard to get ahold of last month. But it was Easter jeep safari. Every manufacturer was busy out there.

Overall Roam is a serious small company that is constantly improving their product from what I can tell and see here. Hence the MK3 rock rails with integrated boatsides. No one is thinking and innovating like that. I have to applaud them. Because not only are they dealing with previous issues and unhappy customers, they are still innovating!!! And we are talking about a few people and a US made product here ,not a big company like Procomp or teraflex with foreign suppliers and manufacturers.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I really feel the need to chime in here since this has been covered extensively now in multiple threads.
1. Roam was the first the introduce step/sliders for the JLU.
2. Only a small percentage of the first batch of MK1 steps was affected by the poor powder coating. MK2 and MK3 steps which are the only ones available now are e-coated.
3. Roam has announced multiple times they have solutions for those who bought any affected steps.
4. I have beat the crap out of my roam products without a single fault across country through moab and the Rockies multiples times. Creek crossings. Mud. Snowy mountain passes. Not a spec of corrosion on one product.
5. There are multiple products from multiple companies that sell you bare metal products. Shoot even weld your own bumper kits. These guys stepped up and changed their whole entire coating process. Which isnt cheap or easy.
6. They listen to the customers and are active online , granted I heard they were hard to get ahold of last month. But it was Easter jeep safari. Every manufacturer was busy out there.

Overall Roam is a serious small company that is constantly improving their product from what I can tell and see here. Hence the MK3 rock rails with integrated boatsides. No one is thinking and innovating like that. I have to applaud them. Because not only are they dealing with previous issues and unhappy customers, they are still innovating!!! And we are talking about a few people and a US made product here ,not a big company like Procomp or teraflex with foreign suppliers and manufacturers.
I 100% agree with you.

I have really liked my frame mounted slider / steps. In fact I like them so much I will be ordering another set.

Do you have any pictures etc of the mk3 version? I would love a mini boat side and actually suggested that early on. That would be my ideal slider.

Roam is a small company that is listening to their customers and making changes. That is awesome,and hopefully they are supported.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ogjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep Wrangler Turbo 2 door Mojito
My side steps are rusting like crazy. And not just a few small spots, like the entire panel. What can be done about this? I've only had them less than a year so I'd hope they would be under warranty.

Thanks!
Oh,ok. I get it now.
They have a rusting version, and a non-rusting version.
$50 more for the non-rusting version.
But if you buy the rusting version, no worries. $2-300 will set it right.
Makes perfect sense.
Thanks.
I believe they addressed a way to help in post 27.

20190523_120159.jpg

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
So they only help out if the rust is all the way through? It should be acceptable for those that bought steps only a few months ago yet they look like shit because it is only surface rust? Sorry, I don't agree.

Last edited:

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
I believe they addressed a way to help in post 27.

20190523_120159.jpg
Hmmmmmm.... customer support.... let me check their website... nothing says customer support but I suppose you could try this... maybe thats what they mean:

185446-d112104a316f2206201dfeb98c5f6c09.png

Hmmmmmm.... post 27.... let me check that one....

185445-5e2542b718fd28398e394f18d01abe73.png

Attachments

eaglesjw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon; 2014 Road King
The only acceptable solution from @ROAM would be be a full refund for those with the rusting side steps. That is how any respectable company would handle it. End of story!

Sponsored

MovingMountains72

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Oh - I see - that was confusing. On a side note Anthony responded pretty quick to my inquiry about rust options.
What options were you given? My steps are 11 months old and have perforating rust holes already. I've been asking them to replace them, but he only option I was given was $50-100 back if I go get them sandblasted/powder coated myself.

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
What options were you given? My steps are 11 months old and have perforating rust holes already. I've been asking them to replace them, but he only option I was given was $50-100 back if I go get them sandblasted/powder coated myself.
Hey Mike - so far I have been given an upgrade path. I am still trying to sort things out so I will reserve further comment for now. Stay tuned...

MovingMountains72

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Hey Mike - so far I have been given an upgrade path. I am still trying to sort things out so I will reserve further comment for now. Stay tuned...
You reminded me, I was also given the upgrade option (as outlined in post #55), but I just can't talk myself into giving them more money. My options seem to all revolve around me paying more to correct the poor quality on these, and that's not right.

mike2019

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Blue Metallic
Hi everyone,

I've got a few updates and clarifications on this topic:

1st update (May 2019): We've made a few changes to our ordering process:

Effectively immediately, we will no longer be offering our JL Side Armor Steps with powdercoating standard. Our JL Side Armor Steps will be shipped bare metal (requires paint and/or powdercoating for rust proofing).

Powdercoating will now be an optional cost added item and warrantied separately.

Effective as of May 15th 2019, our JL Side Armor Steps will also carry a new pricing structure to reflect the updated options:

ROAM JL Side Armor Steps (Bare Metal - without powdercoating, requires paint and/or powdercoating for rust resistance, POR-15 recommended where available): $399 (shipping not included).

ROAM JL Side Armor Steps (with a 2 stage powdercoat finish - we will swap to a new local powdercoater, available June/July 2019): $499 (shipping not included).

ROAM JL Side Armor Steps (with Line-X - adds 2-4 weeks lead time to the order): $599 (shipping not included).

The MK1 ROAM JL Side Armor Steps will be discontinued in Q3/Q4 2019 pending the general availability of the MK3 ROAM JL Rock Rails.

Please note that the above changes are applicable only to the ROAM JL Side Armor Steps and not the ROAM JL Rock Rails, which despite having a similar appearance, are a different product altogether.

The ROAM JL Rock Rails are E-Coated. Our E-Coat process is an industry first (within the US) and is rated for >2500hrs+ in a corrosion test chamber and should beat any other surface coating technologies currently used in the market. To date, there has been no reports of anyone with a production set of our JL Rock Rails whom have experienced any rust issues. This is because the E-Coat process is not only significantly more resistant to rust altogether, but also because during the E-Coat process, the entire structure of our JL Rock Rails is submerged and then rotated for 100 percent coverage. The E-Coat solution itself is also far more environmentally friendly than powdercoating; E-Coat solutions in general are also inherently more inert than powdercoating and is not sacrificial in nature.

2nd update (May 2019):

If you are experiencing perforating rust with your ROAM JL Side Armor Steps, please contact our customer service for further action.

Please note that while some care and/or maintenance is required on the ROAM JL Side Armor Steps (especially around the concave angles and internal surfaces), the ROAM JL Rock Rails does not require any maintenance except for periodic cleaning (via a pressure washer or car wash). The ROAM JL Side Armor Steps are powdercoated and the ROAM JL Rock Rails are E-Coated. Periodic maintenance is only required on the ROAM JL Side Armor Steps.

Please refer to post #55 for all of the currently available remedy options (for the MK1 ROAM JL Side Armor Steps).

ROAM JL Side Armor Steps -> If you're within the warranty period and are experiencing perforating rust or any other structural issues, we'd be happy to send out a replacement set of ROAM JL Side Armor Steps (shipping not included). Our warranty covers perforating rust damage, so while it can be applied towards surface rust, its not meant to cover the appearance of surface rust (which should be addressed via maintenance). Please note that the powdercoating is a consumable item and is meant to be reapplied when depleted. This is not as cost effective as finding a local powdercoater because of the relatively high cost of cross shipping.

ROAM JL Rock Rails -> If you have a set of our JL Rock Rails and are experiencing ANY rust at all (unless there is surface damage, such as an abrasion through the E-Coat), please contact our customer service. The E-Coat should be rust proof altogether and while we haven't come across a single instance of surface rust and/or other rust so far on any of our production ROAM JL Rock Rails (does not apply if you have one of our prototypes or an engineering release), we always welcome the feedback as we strive to improve our product.

3rd update (May 2019, available Q3 2019):

Our MK3 JL Rock Rails (MK3 ROAM JL Rock Rails with integrated boat side undercarriage armor plates) will be available in Q3 2019. <images are attached below>

Current projected retail for the MK3 is ~$899 with integrated boat side skid plates (also available without the integrated boat side skid plates for ~$699, and ~$999 for stainless steel).

A retrofit system / upgrade option will be available for anyone whom has purchased a set of our MK1 and/or our MK2 JL Rock Rails. A direct replacement upgrade path will also be available for anyone whom has purchased a set of our MK1 JL Side Armor Steps. Please note that the ROAM JL Side Armor Steps and the ROAM JL Rock Rails are not the same product/series despite having a similar exterior appearance.

MK3 integrated boat side sliders 008.png
MK3 integrated boat side sliders 006.png
MK3 integrated boat side sliders 005.png
MK3 integrated boat side sliders 003.png
MK3 integrated boat side sliders 002.png
MK3 integrated boat side sliders 004.png
MK3 integrated boat side sliders 001.png
MK3 integrated boat side sliders 007.png

Thanks!

Tara @ ROAM
Tara, Thanks for the update. Nice to see a small start up company making big changes for their products when concerns come up. My Roam JL Rock Rails for my 2019 4 door JLUR are to hit my front door Monday as UPS tracking says. Can't wait. Can you tell me the exact difference between the constuction of the JL side Armor steps vs. The product I purchased? Is there a schematic of the 2 to compare? Also are there any videos for install on my 2019 JLUR? Thanks Mike S. From NY
Sponsored