Sponsored

Roam Side Steps rusting?

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
Any suggestions what I should do with these? I installed them in Dec 2018, so they're a few years old. I think they were rusty under the paint when I got them. In some of the photos you can see the paint is lumpy and it was like that since I got it. Stupid me was too eager to install them that I didn't really go over them when I got them and then never bothered to do anything. Now in most of the spots where the paint was like that, the rust is coming through. Is there anything I can do with these to prevent them from rotting away?

IMG_6969resized.jpg

IMG_6970resized.jpg

IMG_6971resized.jpg
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Any suggestions what I should do with these? I installed them in Dec 2018, so they're a few years old. I think they were rusty under the paint when I got them. In some of the photos you can see the paint is lumpy and it was like that since I got it. Stupid me was too eager to install them that I didn't really go over them when I got them and then never bothered to do anything. Now in most of the spots where the paint was like that, the rust is coming through. Is there anything I can do with these to prevent them from rotting away?

Jeep Wrangler JL Roam Side Steps rusting? IMG_6971resized

Take them off and have them recoated. No big deal. They need to be maintained. Being in NJ, this seems normal to me.

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1982 CJ7, 2018 WK
Occupation
Retired Navy
Yup have them recoated or one step further since you live in NJ is have them Rhino Lined or Line-X

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Yup have them recoated or one step further since you live in NJ is have them Rhino Lined or Line-X
^^^^ this ^^^^

Mine were Line-X coated out of the box and 3 years later no rust despite several beach adventures and living in high humidity most of their life.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Ok, cool. I’ll get that done then.
You'll be very happy getting them line-x'd, I think. That coating will last years up there as long as it's applied correctly.

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
You'll be very happy getting them line-x'd, I think. That coating will last years up there as long as it's applied correctly.
Any idea how to find out where to get that done?