Sponsored

Anther Disappointing Bumper - Roam

DElsarelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4D JL
TL:DR - Bought a Roam Slimline bumper and really disappointed with the quality. Bumper arrived with damage I didn't see until after the install so they won't deal with it. The "powder coat" finish is soft and can be scratched with your finger nail. The powder coat doesn't match the rest of their products. The only instructions for installation are from this website and its impossible to talk with anyone at their company since they don't provide a phone number.

I think I'm cursed when it comes to bumpers. I originally bought the Go Rhino Ridgeline full-width front bumper for the JL and I loved the look of the bumper but it didn't clear the wheels so had to take it off. Go Rhino's been really helpful through the whole process, great customer service.

"Roam" on the other hand is a different story. After pulling the Go Rhino off the Jeep I ordered their "Slim Line" front bumper despite some of the concerns other forum members have brought up regarding their quality and customer service. In the same order I also grabbed their rock-sliders (which look fantastic, no complaints on those).

Roam's got a quality-control issue, either with their fabrication or shipping method. I've seen lots of complaints about purchasing arriving damaged and Roam does send an email after your order asking that you inspect the package on arrival for damage. Mine showed up with the box in good condition and they went overkill on the packaging inside. Once I saw this I wasn't concerned and proceeded with the installation. It was only later I noticed damage to the bumper that Roam won't deal with since I didn't say anything to them before it was installed. They get away with that one I guess, bad customer service but they sent a CYA email that states they won't deal with their product after its been installed. My bad.

Installation is incredibly frustrating due to a lack of instructions, over-engineering, and rivet nuts. The only instructions provided with the bumper is an emailed link to this forum where a member posted their own guide. Rivet nuts are a pain but there's no work around and I got them in after an hour or so. The 8 main bolts go into a fabricated bracket (basically 4 nuts welded to a frame) that requires all 4 bolts on each side to aligned perfectly before you can get all 4 threaded. Bolts and nuts would have worked just fine and would have made installing WAY easier. Longer bolts would be good too, these are just barely long enough so you gotta have this bracket in the exact right spot to get the bolts in.

The hiccups with installation aren't my issue, my problem comes with the finish on the bumper. I bought the rock rails and bumper assuming the finishes would match. I installed the bumper before I un-boxed the rock rails. Un-boxed the rails and they're two completely different finishes; the rock rail powder coat looks awesome while the powder coat on the bumper looks okay but is super soft. I can scratch the surface of the bumper with my fingernail so there's an issue with the application or the spec'd powder. Their website doesn't list a phone number and requires that you email Anthony (no last name) if you want to contact them at all which is a little fishy to me.

Both the rock rails and the bumper list a "powder coated" finish so when I made the purchase I assumed they would match. Maybe that's my bad too, their website doesn't give any info and the photos on their website show the finishes matching. So I've sent "Anthony" an email with my complaints and trying to figure out what their return policy is.

Customer service is terrible. Wouldn't recommend their bumper. Would recommend the rock-rails.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
Sponsored

okie dokie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Their customer service is non existent.
Sorry for your troubles and i hope you get a satisfactory resolution.
@ROAM you need to hire someone to actually answer the mail...

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Their lack of response even to buy things is amazing to me. Customer service is king and will eventually put the ones who don’t get it out of business. Some of the best products fail fiery deaths because of this.

shane h.

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR (mine), '21 Hellayella JLUR (hers)
Was going to buy the Roam side steps for my new JLUR. Reached out to Roam to ask a couple of really easy questions before purchasing. Got ZERO response after about two weeks. Talked to LOD the day I reached out to them. Ordered the LOD Destroyer steps and have zero regrets. I don't have any of Roam's products, so cannot speak to quality of craftsmanship, but their pre-sale service is non-existent. Oh well...

eaglesjw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon; 2014 Road King
After dealing with ROAM's rust issue on the side steps, I won't ever order another @ROAM product. I'm sure they don't care.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

DElsarelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4D JL
All good feedback, should have trusted my gut before buying. I've got an email string between "Anthony" and myself regarding the quality. Won't give me any info on their return policy but I had a chat with the credit card company and they're happy to fight this fight for me if Roam doesn't offer to fix it.

At the end of the day they're selling defective products and there's enough evidence on this forum that I'm sure I'll get my money back, its just how painful it needs to be for Roam at this point.

River City Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.RiverCityOffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Triple White - RK 3.5" X-Factor Stage 1 / Steer Smarts / Mickey Thompson / Fuel
Occupation
Owner at River City Offroad
There are too many awesome manufacturers and dealers for you guys to be putting up with this kind of stuff. You guys and gals work hard for your money. There are a number of manufacturers out there that would absolutely love and appreciate your business and treat you as such before, during, and after the sale.

Marcus

AmesosaurusRex

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Punk'n Metallic
Yea, I like my frame-mounted side steps, but the poor customer service makes it unlikely for me to purchase another ROAM product.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
There are too many awesome manufacturers and dealers for you guys to be putting up with this kind of stuff. You guys and gals work hard for your money. There are a number of manufacturers out there that would absolutely love and appreciate your business and treat you as such before, during, and after the sale.

Marcus
And I should add that not only are there good manufacturers, there are good product dealers. I'm guilty as much of most of you for purchasing essentially "anonymously" but working with a good dealer can make a huge difference as well. I'd bet that Marcus's shop is one of them.

By the way, thank you Marcus for axle discussion the other day.
Lee

Notasuv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I if possible use pay pal for any buying transactions as it is very buyer friendly if you can show fault..they do get your money back....on the other hand I do not accept paypal from new buyers/unknowns ;) ANY vendor here should step up and take care of the problem regardless......SMHID

Sponsored

OP
OP

DElsarelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4D JL
The difference in finishes is the rails are e-coated and I believe the front bumper is powdercoated still.
According to their website the finishes on both product are as follows:

Bumper
"ROAM JL Front Bumper also integrates a bull bar grille guard and is 2 stage textured poly powdercoated for surface durability"

Rock Rails
"Rust-resistant E-Coat Finish: E-Coated for rust resistance and then powdercoated with a 2 stage textured poly powdercoat for durability."

So you're correct that the e-coating is specific to the rock rails but they state that the surface finish is the powdercoat. That doesn't explain why the products I received feature two completely different finishes. Again I love the finish on the rock rails, if they'll willing to replace the current bumper with the same bumper in a finish that matches the rock rails I'll be happy.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
According to their website the finishes on both product are as follows:

Bumper
"ROAM JL Front Bumper also integrates a bull bar grille guard and is 2 stage textured poly powdercoated for surface durability"

Rock Rails
"Rust-resistant E-Coat Finish: E-Coated for rust resistance and then powdercoated with a 2 stage textured poly powdercoat for durability."

So you're correct that the e-coating is specific to the rock rails but they state that the surface finish is the powdercoat. That doesn't explain why the products I received feature two completely different finishes. Again I love the finish on the rock rails, if they'll willing to replace the current bumper with the same bumper in a finish that matches the rock rails I'll be happy.
Do you still see my reply, the one quoted? I cant find it and wondering where it went.

Brett

OP
OP

DElsarelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4D JL
No I don't see it anymore, I have no idea what happened to it. New to posting but I don't think I deleted it or anything.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
No I don't see it anymore, I have no idea what happened to it. New to posting but I don't think I deleted it or anything.
No prob. You wont have access to delete my post. I guess a mod didnt like it for some reason

Brett

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I liked their product designs and stuff, and I emailed back and forth about Anthony with a few things, but hearing all these shipping and customer service issues makes me happy I went Motobilt. That experience alone actually convinced me to check them out first for pretty much anything for my JLUR from now on, and they do some pretty good sales. I want to say I saved ~$200 on my bumper/ diff covers on the Holiday weekend sale/ promo they were running when I ordered. arrived boxed up nicely and no damage. Bare steel so I rattle canned it black for easy touch up and refresh after some nasty Upstate NY winters. EZ-PZ.

I really hope Roam straightens their stuff out. They had some really promising stuff and seemed to be right at a good price point.
Sponsored