First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
  • Banned
These are my opinions and mine alone.

Several members have asked me off to the side, on pms, text, calls or emails why I haven’t been as active on the @ROAM threads. I’ve been trying to be helpful still but that will stop today on the public forum. If anyone needs helps installing something, please let me know and I’ll help as much as possible in private.

I heard about Roam here and was intrigued to say the least. When I found out they were local to me I was excited to get their stuff, the price point was a bonus and they appeared to have awesome products. I began talking with Anthony prior to our jeeps arrival and requested a rear bumper/tire carrier and believe I was told it would be available in dec 2018. Some of the dates I don’t remember and don’t want to dig thru old emails but you’ll get the point. I’d stay and touch with Anthony and let him know we’d love to test products as they became available because we loved the design, function, price and they were local. I initially wanted the west coast sliders like on the website but was told it would be a couple months still. We needed something for EJS and he said he could get me some frame mounted rock rails in in time. I excitedly went to pick them up when he told me they were in. Full disclosure, I think I got $50 off.

I loved these things. Thought they were excellent quality, tough and looked great. I was excited to show off our neighbors Roam. Well it’s been several months now with no spare tire and I kept asking for updates on the rear bumper. Kept getting told a later date over and over and over. Anthony heard we were getting another jeep and offered me some body mount rails for it. I happily agreed as we still loved Roam and supported them. During all this time I became a huge proponent of them and sang their praises while defending them because I felt I had a better glimpse of what was going on. Still no eta on bumper.

Anthony is by himself and is pretty much responsible for everything and doesn’t have the power to make any real changes. He is a great soldier just marching one and not causing waves. I like Anthony a lot and he’s always been great to us. I tried to understand the heirachy of the company and he was unable to really tell me who’s running it clearly.

Times going on and we’re installing a bunch of rock rails, still love them, used them and abused them in Moab and they held up great. Anthony asks if I’d like a pioneer front bumper to try out. He knew I like all my accessories to match and I had another brands bumper on the front. In comes the new bumper. First things first, this is a prototype. 1 of 3 made. I unwrap it and the winch mount is all rusted. (Started seeing what the body mount folks were talking about) this is brand new and looks terrible. I painted it and it’s still great. Installed the bumper and loved the look. Went on happy dory about them for a few more months. Then they blamed the rusty body mount rails on a lack of maintenance. I lost my mind on Anthony. They blamed the customer for the rust in new rails and said powder coat was a sacrificial coating. What in the world??

I keep noticing they would announce these new products like the extended range fuel tank, snorkel, exo cage, pioneer bumper, stainless steps etc. This was generating a buzz but they never would deliver. I was getting frustrated because people would ask me when they could get this stuff and I had zero answers, Anthony has nothing, nobody knew anything. The website was terrible and the only things you could get was body and frame rails and bumper. Huge plans but no plan for delivery.

I grew tired of the broken promises and deliveries but was still able to get rock rails in a couple days and knew they were quality. A month or two ago I was coming home with my family from schlitterbahn and got a phone call from a guy asking me about ordering some Roam rock rails. I told him I’d call him in a day or two with an eta. I reached out to Anthony and was told they don’t stock them anymore and would need to pay to order them and they would take about 6 weeks. Ordinarily I wouldn’t have an issue putting my money on they line for a set date. With roam and their history of broken promises and missed delieveries there was no way I’d roll the dice. I tell the guy 6 weeks. If they don’t come at 8 weeks he could say he’s going a different direction and I’m stuck with them. I wasn’t willing to do that. At that point I called and suggested we look at a different brand as I have lost faith in Roam and didn’t want to risk my reputation with them we have worked hard to build.

Customer went with some LOD and they looked great! I had now set myself down a different path. I wouldn’t recommend them anymore and began distancing myself from them. This was hard because I wanted them to succeed so much more than apparently they wanted for themselves.

I was just going to sit back and no longer engage in the discussions until I saw about the new exo cage. I’ve attached my reply which has been deleted. My suggestion is don’t get your hopes up about them delivering everything claimed in a reasonable time. Also don’t count on them for a deadline project. I’m disappointed and sad about this as I wanted so much for them to do as claimed. Here’s my post that was deleted.

Brett

6DE81982-074C-43F8-8040-122F06F9D5B6.jpeg
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
These are my opinions and mine alone.

Several members have asked me off to the side, on pms, text, calls or emails why I haven’t been as active on the @ROAM threads. I’ve been trying to be helpful still but that will stop today on the public forum. If anyone needs helps installing something, please let me know and I’ll help as much as possible in private.

I heard about Roam here and was intrigued to say the least. When I found out they were local to me I was excited to get their stuff, the price point was a bonus and they appeared to have awesome products. I began talking with Anthony prior to our jeeps arrival and requested a rear bumper/tire carrier and believe I was told it would be available in dec 2018. Some of the dates I don’t remember and don’t want to dig thru old emails but you’ll get the point. I’d stay and touch with Anthony and let him know we’d love to test products as they became available because we loved the design, function, price and they were local. I initially wanted the west coast sliders like on the website but was told it would be a couple months still. We needed something for EJS and he said he could get me some frame mounted rock rails in in time. I excitedly went to pick them up when he told me they were in. Full disclosure, I think I got $50 off.

I loved these things. Thought they were excellent quality, tough and looked great. I was excited to show off our neighbors Roam. Well it’s been several months now with no spare tire and I kept asking for updates on the rear bumper. Kept getting told a later date over and over and over. Anthony heard we were getting another jeep and offered me some body mount rails for it. I happily agreed as we still loved Roam and supported them. During all this time I became a huge proponent of them and sang their praises while defending them because I felt I had a better glimpse of what was going on. Still no eta on bumper.

Anthony is by himself and is pretty much responsible for everything and doesn’t have the power to make any real changes. He is a great soldier just marching one and not causing waves. I like Anthony a lot and he’s always been great to us. I tried to understand the heirachy of the company and he was unable to really tell me who’s running it clearly.

Times going on and we’re installing a bunch of rock rails, still love them, used them and abused them in Moab and they held up great. Anthony asks if I’d like a pioneer front bumper to try out. He knew I like all my accessories to match and I had another brands bumper on the front. In comes the new bumper. First things first, this is a prototype. 1 of 3 made. I unwrap it and the winch mount is all rusted. (Started seeing what the body mount folks were talking about) this is brand new and looks terrible. I painted it and it’s still great. Installed the bumper and loved the look. Went on happy dory about them for a few more months. Then they blamed the rusty body mount rails on a lack of maintenance. I lost my mind on Anthony. They blamed the customer for the rust in new rails and said powder coat was a sacrificial coating. What in the world??

I keep noticing they would announce these new products like the extended range fuel tank, snorkel, exo cage, pioneer bumper, stainless steps etc. This was generating a buzz but they never would deliver. I was getting frustrated because people would ask me when they could get this stuff and I had zero answers, Anthony has nothing, nobody knew anything. The website was terrible and the only things you could get was body and frame rails and bumper. Huge plans but no plan for delivery.

I grew tired of the broken promises and deliveries but was still able to get rock rails in a couple days and knew they were quality. A month or two ago I was coming home with my family from schlitterbahn and got a phone call from a guy asking me about ordering some Roam rock rails. I told him I’d call him in a day or two with an eta. I reached out to Anthony and was told they don’t stock them anymore and would need to pay to order them and they would take about 6 weeks. Ordinarily I wouldn’t have an issue putting my money on they line for a set date. With roam and their history of broken promises and missed delieveries there was no way I’d roll the dice. I tell the guy 6 weeks. If they don’t come at 8 weeks he could say he’s going a different direction and I’m stuck with them. I wasn’t willing to do that. At that point I called and suggested we look at a different brand as I have lost faith in Roam and didn’t want to risk my reputation with them we have worked hard to build.

Customer went with some LOD and they looked great! I had now set myself down a different path. I wouldn’t recommend them anymore and began distancing myself from them. This was hard because I wanted them to succeed so much more than apparently they wanted for themselves.

I was just going to sit back and no longer engage in the discussions until I saw about the new exo cage. I’ve attached my reply which has been deleted. My suggestion is don’t get your hopes up about them delivering everything claimed in a reasonable time. Also don’t count on them for a deadline project. I’m disappointed and sad about this as I wanted so much for them to do as claimed. Here’s my post that was deleted.

Brett

6DE81982-074C-43F8-8040-122F06F9D5B6.jpeg
I knew as soon as people were having problems with the finish on their rock rails that I would never give any money to this company. Not because they had a problem with their finish, but because of the way they treated their customers over it. It's a small community, we take care of those that take care of us.

OP
OP
rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I knew as soon as people were having problems with the finish on their rock rails that I would never give any money to this company. Not because they had a problem with their finish, but because of the way they treated their customers over it. It's a small community, we take care of those that take care of us.
I’ve tried to reach out to higher ups. I don’t want Anthony to risk his job telling the higher ups what we’re seeing at the street level but never a response. Nada, nothing, zilch. They don’t care about the customers is how I felt.

Brett

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Anthony told me earlier this year that I could pre-order rails but every time I'd ask for an invoice (because their website SUCKS) I wouldn't get a response. I just went another direction and stopped looking at ROAM. I commented on the post today but deleted what I originally wrote and just went with a little tongue-in-cheek. I wish they were a better company. They build some cool stuff but can't get it together

OP
OP
rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Anthony told me earlier this year that I could pre-order rails but every time I'd ask for an invoice (because their website SUCKS) I wouldn't get a response. I just went another direction and stopped looking at ROAM. I commented on the post today but deleted what I originally wrote and just went with a little tongue-in-cheek. I wish they were a better company. They build some cool stuff but can't get it together
I agree. It’s frustrating. I’ve pleaded with Anthony to tell them to stop releasing these concepts until they are close to having the ability to ship. They are inflaming the customer base and the confidence in the company is at an all time low. Customers are getting tired of having cool products shown to them and then they never come to fruition.

Brett

Sponsored

DWheelerR

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Photographer
Vehicle Showcase
I was told 6weeks + for the rails. Then on top of that reading about customers being pushed back further and further and the rust issues. . I decided not to roll the dice this time..
Last time I went through this was another company. I waited about 9months for a bumper..then when that finally showed up it was damaged. . of course I was not going to try and send that back and start all over.

Roam reminded me of that same situation.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I was put on a list for a rear bumper/tire carrier a year ago. Kept getting pushed off. Never got one. My guess is it is a small couple man shop and they can't keep up/don't have the ability to produce.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Uhh, that's one of the dumbest things I've read on here.
As much as I love to buy made in America by American he has a point. China can design (copy), tool, build, cost and fill a shipping container pretty quick and hey it to a us port pretty quick. Roam is literally building only a couple products. No excuse for these ridiculous lead times not to mention since these are “built to order” why can’t I get some without the holes for the lights. More people would order without than with.

There’s a bunch of companies with long lead times but they have an extensive product line up available.

Brett

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
As much as I love to buy made in America by American he has a point. China can design (copy), tool, build, cost and fill a shipping container pretty quick and hey it to a us port pretty quick. Roam is literally building only a couple products. No excuse for these ridiculous lead times not to mention since these are “built to order” why can’t I get some without the holes for the lights. More people would order without than with.

There’s a bunch of companies with long lead times but they have an extensive product line up available.

Brett
Yes but if I have a problem with an item I buy it's not like I can just call them up and get it resolved. I totally agree there are things that are just much cheaper to source there. I won't be ordering anything made of steel from China though.

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
This is one of the reasons why sometimes you have things made in China. Whether you like that or not, they meet schedules.
While China has a large and cheap workforce ready to copy products for the U.S. market, it doesnt always guarantee that schedules are met. I remember several years ago multiple beadlock manufacturers waiting almost 3 months for their shipment. This caused a bit of a strain on supply albeit temporarily.

There are plenty of American made companies that dont have the same issues being discussed in this thread. Its a matter of having the right people, planning and capital to keep up with market demand. I think its a bit unfair to say that the solution is outsourcing to China.

OP
OP
rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While China has a large and cheap workforce ready to copy products for the U.S. market, it doesnt always guarantee that schedules are met. I remember several years ago multiple beadlock manufacturers waiting almost 3 months for their shipment. This caused a bit of a strain on supply albeit temporarily.

There are plenty of American made companies that dont have the same issues being discussed in this thread. Its a matter of having the right people, planning and capital to keep up with market demand. I think its a bit unfair to say that the solution is outsourcing to China.
Just checked out your website. Haven’t seen much from you on the forums but glad you’re on board. I’ll save your site for any future customers that would like an awesome hood upgrade!

Brett

OP
OP
rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes but if I have a problem with an item I buy it's not like I can just call them up and get it resolved. I totally agree there are things that are just much cheaper to source there. I won't be ordering anything made of steel from China though.
I get that and want to be very clear besides my winch just about everything on my Jeep is made by us companies. I had a dv8 front bumper to start with and swapped it out pretty quick. I was great but didn’t go with the build well. However, it was to my door in 3 days, around $300 and the customer service to back it up. Held up great wheeling and I drilled it a couple times without anymore than a scrape to the finish.

I offered to take my brother to their manufacturing site in Wyoming and have him do a lean manufacturing consultation. He is a mechanical engineer by trade but interned doing lean manufacturing and was being recruited for such while finishing up college. He would save companies literally millions a year by his recommendations. Really was his nitch but decided to build stuff for a .gov contractor instead. I wanting nothing other than travel covered and he would do this as a favor to me because I expressed how much potential this company has/had.

Brett
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.