First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Currently running 35's Ridge Grapplers on a 18 Rubicon JLU with 4.10s. and 2" mopar life. Thinking of going to 37 KO2 D2's. Do 2-3 off road trips per year. The question is what are the other upgrades that need to happen to support the 37's.
1) New wheels -looking at getting the mopar gear wheels
2) Updates to tailgate to hold larger spare ? Any recommendations for use with factory steel bumpers
3) Are the stock Rubicon axles sufficient?
4) I aslso have a steer smarts front track bar i am about to install

Anything else?
@ChadTx

The Rubicon axles will likely be fine. Any steering upgrade will certainly help (my drag link bushing was shot after about 7K miles of running 37s).
Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@ChadTx

The Rubicon axles will likely be fine. Any steering upgrade will certainly help (my drag link bushing was shot after about 7K miles of running 37s).
Many running 37's have found during inspection their factory ball joints have excessive play and the axle shaft splines are twisting. That is why I'm not looking until I ready for a complete axle upgarde swap.

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
I am running 37s Nitto Ridge grappler with the Nomad wheels. I have the Rubicon axles but went with 4.88 gears. Jeep drives great and is very responsive. I have the Teraflex HD Alpha tire carrier and tailgate hinge system. What a difference this made closing the tail gate. I have had the steering gear box replacement and am running the steer smart tie road ends and track bar.
Also have the @Clayton Off Road 2.5 overland plus lift with the Falcon 3.3 shocks.

ChadTx

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to order 2021 Wrangler Rubicon 2 door
Many running 37's have found during inspection their factory ball joints have excessive play and the axle shaft splines are twisting. That is why I'm not looking until I ready for a complete axle upgarde swap.
Is there a kit that has the necessary parts to correct these issues if I go to 37’s?

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Is there a kit that has the necessary parts to correct these issues if I go to 37’s?
Metalcloak sells a tie rod and drag link with ball joints that look to be up to the task. I'm gonna test my luck on factory axles with 37's, i think it'll be fine.

Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

hmm... what's the joint at the end of the tie rod and drag link? it looks to be the same construction. I was under the impression that wear on this is what introduced strange steering issues. Honestly I've never had any issue with steering components and as such haven't spent a whole bunch of time diving into components.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
There are many people who run 37s on stock axles before upgrading some of these parts that @sourdough was mentioning. You just have to be aware that they will prematurely wear down with larger tires and will need to be replaced/upgraded eventually.

Kev84

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I will chime in here and say that I regret going with 35s!
I bought new Rubicon 2019 and 2.5" lift and 35" Nitto Ridge grapplers. I went 35s because I didn't think I would ever do or even want to do anything but moderate off-roading. Well turns out my wife and I both love taking wheeling trips now to CO, Utah and such it may only be a handful of times a year but I am reaching the point where I am scraping and banging more than I would like.
Following lines of guys in front of me running 3.5" lifts and 37/38s seeing how easy they make it look. I am now researching new lifts and 37s!

Sponsored

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
37s are the best mod I’ve made to any of my Jeeps…always wanted them and finally took the plunge on my new 392 (stock suspension height and increased power made the decision easier). I don’t think I could go back to smaller tires. If things break in the future I will just replace them…it will be worth it to me.

PocketsEmptied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 JKUR, '21 JLUR
Big tires leads to lift and shocks which leads to driveshaft which leads to tailgate reinforcement which leads to steering upgrades which leads to ball joints which leads to brakes which leads to gearing which leads to axels which then leads to an engine swap which finally leads to.....divorce!

That being said I have 37s on my JK and am still married - haven't made it to the engine swap yet 😁 My JLUR was just born and I'm trying to keep it stock for a bit, still debating on 35 vs. 37 myself. If it's based on looks alone or heavy crawling then 37s hands down, other reasons take a little more justification (for me at least).

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
zero regrets (quite the opposite - I am thrilled with them). had them on my 2018 and just put them on my 2021

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
I also have 37 with 488 gears and love it

700FCB24-3389-44C6-86E4-176F049A79F7.jpeg

AEEADB37-AF3A-4259-86F7-29672A9FD4EA.jpeg
Sponsored