Max Payload for Overlanding

Shiner

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Ridgeway Jeeper sounds like a real hoot.... I can smell the judgement all the way down here in Texas.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Yes, lots of people spending lots of money pretending... I find it comical, that is my prerogative. So I have fun with it too;)

You are slicing some really thin margins there but more power too you. There are precious few places a full size truck can not go that a JLUR can. The JLUR isn't exactly a small vehicle. A full size is no more difficult to recover, exact same principles. Uses more fuel, but carries MUCH more. Plenty of accessories, just open your checkbook, there is no limit to accessorizing either. How many people are actually trying to fit their overlander into a container? Less than 1%? Way less?

Glad it is a good fit for you, enjoy your travels.

I travelled until I found a great spot to set up permanent camp. Vast incredible beauty lies at my doorstep every day. Precludes the need and desire to pack into a cramped space and go look for it...
I'd have to disagree on the recovery side, bigger and heavier is always harder to recover. Of course the same principles apply, but the harder the pull the stronger the anchor needed. The larger the winches needed, the heavier the gear needs to be. It will always be harder to pull out a stuck F350 than a side by side. As far as there being few places a jlur can go that a full size can't, I guess it depends on whether or not those few places are on your list of place you want to go? People definitely under estimate where they can go on a full size though. You should have seen the looks we got going up last dollar in the Ram...with the jeep still on the trailer.
20210612_200200.jpg

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I'd have to disagree on the recovery side, bigger and heavier is always harder to recover. Of course the same principles apply, but the harder the pull the stronger the anchor needed. The larger the winches needed, the heavier the gear needs to be. It will always be harder to pull out a stuck F350 than a side by side. As far as there being few places a jlur can go that a full size can't, I guess it depends on whether or not those few places are on your list of place you want to go? People definitely under estimate where they can go on a full size though. You should have seen the looks we got going up last dollar in the Ram...with the jeep still on the trailer.
Jeep Wrangler JL Max Payload for Overlanding 20210612_200200
The local tour companies run full sized trucks with wide beds on them full of people. I have done all the trails in several full sized trucks over the years. I often trailer snowmobiles up and past Animas Forks in the spring to ride but I have never towed something like that on the trails. My buddy used to haul his 4 placed enclosed sled trailer up to Animas Forks behind his dually pretty regularly though :rock:

I got the side by side stuck, tried to get it out with the Tool Cat, got that stuck. Skipped the truck and went straight for the skidder. Tracks and a 50k lb winch was the right recovery tool... It isn't any harder if you have the right equipment.

skidder.jpg

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Philanthropist and Adventurer
Anytime there is a fatality or serious injury, every single factor including all vehicles and persons involved is investigated. This not only includes weight of vehicles but a whole bunch of other variables. This even includes checking for non DOT compliance hardware and any modification done that does not meet DOT or FMCSA (if commercial vehicle is involved) regulation.

Marlon, I recommend going as light as possible when packing for cross country/camping. If you think like a backpacker then you will be able to trim off a lot of junk.

A few suggestions right off the bat is carry a collapsible fuel bag, a few MSR dromedary bags, and a small portable water purification device. And this is just a start.

Lightweight tool systems such as this go a long way:

Jeep Wrangler JL Max Payload for Overlanding skidder

Consider a set of both Knipex smooth face and Cobra pliers along with a few different size Vise Grips. Also Quick Steel, duct tape (peeled and laid flat), zip ties (Thomas & Betts with stainless inserts), stainless zip ties, roll of .041 aircraft safety wire and twist pliers, etc.
Yup. Iā€™m trying to cut weight as much as possible, but Iā€™m still over 850lbs. Thereā€™s not much left after two people, the Rack, and the RTT. Thanks!

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
RTT = roof top transport. It's used for teleportation, both in the present and in some cases through time. Some people don't teleport though and just use them for sleeping, kind of like a tent on top of your roof.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
dude. Who cares.

Live and let live, youre being too intense.
You should take a shot at reading the rest of the comment, the part where I think it is funny people are doing so.

I certainly do not care what people do, happy to live and let live. How would you know how "intense" I am. Live and let live maybe?

FRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Suburban 4x4, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Yes, lots of people spending lots of money pretending...
ridgeway jeeper, what do you mean by they are pretending? Pretending at what?

I define overlanding as "vehicle centered adventure travel."

How do you define it?

I have had full sized pick ups and now a 4x4 suburban, with 260,000 miles on it,most of my life. This is my first Jeep. One of the other things I like about the jeep is I have a lot more room in my garage with the jeep in there vice the four door PU or suburban. I can actually work on the jeep without moving stuff around. I can leave the door closed in the winter and have full access. Awesome. There is room for my motorcycle too. Also, you can still get a jeep with a manual transmission. I don't think you can get a crew cab 4x4 PU with a manual any more. Driving the jeep brings back all the fun I had driving as a kid. Back when you had to actually drive your vehicle. All the modern PUs I have had to include the suburban are like driving a Barca-lounger. I found it to be boring. The jeep puts a smile on my face.

Airing down and disconnecting the sway bar has made driving over rough roads an amazing experience. I am much more willing to drive the jeep down 20 miles of washboard road than I ever was in any of my other trucks.

As far as a shipping container I didn't buy the jeep for how other people might or might not use it but how I use it.

Sounds like you are happy with your full size trucks and the way you "overland" or camp or off-road. That's great. There are an awful lot of people that enjoy their Jeeps. That's great too.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
ridgeway jeeper, what do you mean by they are pretending? Pretending at what?

I define overlanding as "vehicle centered adventure travel."

How do you define it?

I have had full sized pick ups and now a 4x4 suburban with 260,000 miles on it most of my life. This is my first Jeep. One of the other things I like about the jeep is I have a lot more room in my garage with the jeep in there vice the four door PU or suburban. I can actually work on the jeep without moving stuff around. I can leave the door closed in the winter and have full access. Awesome. There is room for my motorcycle too. Also, you can still get a jeep with a manual transmission. I don't think you can get a crew cab 4x4 PU with a manual any more. Driving the jeep brings back all the fun I had driving as a kid. Back when you had to actually drive your vehicle. All the modern PUs I have had to include the suburban are like driving a Barca-lounger. I found it to be boring. The jeep puts a smile on my face. Airing down and disconnecting the sway bar has made driving over rough roads an amazing experience. I am much more willing to drive the keel down 20 miles of washboard than I ever was any of my other trucks.

As far as a shipping container I didn't buy the jeep for how other people might or might not use it but how I use it.

Sounds like you are happy with your full size trucks and the way you "overland" or camp or off-road. That's great. There are an awful lot of people that enjoy their Jeeps. That's great too.
Pretending to be "adventurous" but that is certainly a matter of perspective. I think "overlanding" is mostly made up BS for people to feel like they are a part of some new "movement". 20 years ago before it was the popular new excuse to buy parts for your Jeep, it meant actual cross country travel usually in remote areas of foreign countries, and nobody used Jeeps to do it because they were not nearly large enough or reliable enough.

Today I think is mostly "buy a bunch of stuff for a Jeep", drive the highway with your RTT and camp a little bit off the beaten path calling it an "adventure". That is what I see happening here in vacationland. I am happy people enjoy it, well actually I wish they would enjoy it somewhere else but it is what it is.

I just drove the Jeep today, manual trans in it. I do not find it the least bit entertaining to drive. It is cramped, uncomfortable and wanders all over the road, the steering is absolutely horrible by modern standards. Again though, I am glad YOU like it, no need to justify your choice.

I live with a better view than most get no matter how long they "overland" or where. Next summer my camping will be in a travel trailer with a bed, a shower, a refrigerator and a stove in a water tight space. We will use it when we leave paradise, not in search of it.

We have a Jeep as a toy and it gets used off road in the San Juans, which I am looking at through my window right now, and in Moab just 2.5 hrs away. No need to "overland" here, regardless of how you want to define it. I also do love my new F350, smooth, quiet, powerful, and way more comfortable than the Jeep IMO. Nothing dull about the 430hp engine either.

To each his own for sure. I just find the whole "overlanding" fad a bit humorous.

FRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Pretending to be "adventurous" but that is certainly a matter of perspective. I think "overlanding" is mostly made up BS for people to feel like they are a part of some new "movement". 20 years ago before it was the popular new excuse to buy parts for your Jeep, it meant actual cross country travel usually in remote areas of foreign countries, and nobody used Jeeps to do it because they were not nearly large enough or reliable enough.

Today I think is mostly "buy a bunch of stuff for a Jeep", drive the highway with your RTT and camp a little bit off the beaten path calling it an "adventure". That is what I see happening here in vacationland. I am happy people enjoy it, well actually I wish they would enjoy it somewhere else but it is what it is.

I just drove the Jeep today, manual trans in it. I do not find it the least bit entertaining to drive. It is cramped, uncomfortable and wanders all over the road, the steering is absolutely horrible by modern standards. Again though, I am glad YOU like it, no need to justify your choice.

I live with a better view than most get no matter how long they "overland" or where. Next summer my camping will be in a travel trailer with a bed, a shower, a refrigerator and a stove in a water tight space. We will use it when we leave paradise, not in search of it.

We have a Jeep as a toy and it gets used off road in the San Juans, which I am looking at through my window right now, and in Moab just 2.5 hrs away. No need to "overland" here, regardless of how you want to define it. I also do love my new F350, smooth, quiet, powerful, and way more comfortable than the Jeep IMO. Nothing dull about the 430hp engine either.

To each his own for sure. I just find the whole "overlanding" fad a bit humorous.
Interesting. Thanks.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I think that ā€œOverlandingā€ is a term invented by gear-companies to make ā€œcar campingā€ (the term I grew up with) sound tougherā€¦. Conjures up images of Conestoga wagon trains plodding through dust choked Kansas on their way to the oregon. Much more ā€˜manlyā€™ā€¦.

Hence more new gear to buy!!!! the Old stuff just wonā€™t workā€¦. It was for ā€œcar campingā€ and thatā€™s soooo 1965.

Last edited:

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
IMO, off roading and overloading these rigs do not go hand in hand. Over the last decade or so off roading has taken a turn for the worst. Rigs have become top heavy and dangerous.

It has come to a point of setting up Jeep Wranglers and other off road vehicles way beyond their intended purpose. This "overloading fad" is out of control.

Comfort level is different for everyone. For myself, I think all this extra crap attached to the vehicle is ridiculous. Complicated fold out rooftop tents, huge cooking setups, pull out drawers, shelves, molly panels with junk attached, etc.

I'm 60 years old and don't get around like I used to. I still don't get it. I can pre make some meals and set up my camp quicker and in comfort than any of these overweight rigs.

I have a very light and simple camp box, sleeping bag, pillow, and pad. If I get a Jeep I'll add nothing more than a decent tent for base camp.

Jeep Wranglers started out as very capable 2 door rigs. Now we have the wheelbase extended to a 4 door and you have 300+ pounds of RTT and other totally unnecessary stuff attached.

I do not care how good of a driver you are. With 2 equally skilled drivers/spotters on the same trail, these overloaded rigs will break and and be left in the dust vs a lighter one.

FRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
IMO, off roading and overloading these rigs do not go hand in hand. Over the last decade or so off roading has taken a turn for the worst. Rigs have become top heavy and dangerous.

It has come to a point of setting up Jeep Wranglers and other off road vehicles way beyond their intended purpose. This "overloading fad" is out of control.

Comfort level is different for everyone. For myself, I think all this extra crap attached to the vehicle is ridiculous. Complicated fold out rooftop tents, huge cooking setups, pull out drawers, shelves, molly panels with junk attached, etc.

I'm 60 years old and don't get around like I used to. I still don't get it. I can pre make some meals and set up my camp quicker and in comfort than any of these overweight rigs.

I have a very light and simple camp box, sleeping bag, pillow, and pad. If I get a Jeep I'll add nothing more than a decent tent for base camp.

Jeep Wranglers started out as very capable 2 door rigs. Now we have the wheelbase extended to a 4 door and you have 300+ pounds of RTT and other totally unnecessary stuff attached.

I do not care how good of a driver you are. With 2 equally skilled drivers/spotters on the same trail, these overloaded rigs will break and and be left in the dust vs a lighter one.
Sounds like you don't have a jeep. Let's see what you actually do when you get one.

I think it depends on how you set your Jeep up. Yes, you can make the vehicle too heavy. That's true of any truck though. Yes, probably some people overload their vehicle, make them too heavy with big RTTs and roof racks and roto-packs and pull out drawers as you say, etc and don't increase the suspension to handle the weight. They don't consider how to keep the weight lower. But based on what I have seen there are a lot of rigs out there put together with great care. And I also think you are seeing more people consider weight as they become more knowledgeable. I'm seeing more interest in aluminum bumpers for example. And we are talking about jeeps here. Pretty small in the scheme of things. Take a look at some of the huge rigs advertised for off-pavement travel. Huge one ton 4x4s or even larger with extra large camper tops with every convenience. A jeep with a RTT, a 12v fridge, a winch, and beefed up suspension pales in comparison. There are a lot of "overlanders" in jeeps going some amazing places. There are a number of folks that have been out for years, not just in the Americas but all over the world. And that's just the ones sharing their stories. There are many more out there quietly creating their own adventures we never hear about.

A two door jeep might work for you. If so, go that way. If you enjoy a ground tent do it. If you can travel for an extended period with a single camp box and a one burner cooking single pot meals and never want a little more, good on ya.

But like many people I am traveling for weeks at a time with a companion. I spent 26 years as a Marine infantryman. I am not sleeping on the ground any more unless I am forced too. My days of being wet, cold, and miserable are mostly behind me if I can manage it. If I dragged my wife out and said we are going camping for a month and live like bugs I don't think I would be very popular. As it is we are pretty simple in a four door jeep.
We just got back after 21 days. We had a great time. We do need a 2.5" lift to accommodate our set up. No doubt about that. The stock suspension is soft to make it drive more comfortably as an everyday driver. We plan to add a 17 gallon aux fuel tank but it will be adjacent to the stock tank between the frame rails so the weight stays low. We will add a winch but probably keep the plastic bumpers. I see others making similar choices. We loved the Jeep's small size and nimble maneuverability in the dense forest roads of the east coast and mid west we traveled through.

Regarding set up speed--our Ursa Minor takes 30 seconds to set up. About one minute to take down. I doubt you will be able to find the right spot for your tent with weather rolling in faster than I can set up. I can promise you will not be more comfortable even with our simple rig. Have fun with a ground tend and a camp box in the pouring rain. Been there and done that.

I would not slam the entire "overlanding" community because some folks get carried away. Take a look at some of the RVs traveling down the nations highways. Excess is not limited to jeeps.

Get yourJeep. Try it out. Camp for extended periods of time. Make long trips. Get into the back country. See what you think. I bet you'll start adding some things.... And if you manage to keep everything stock, and back-packer simple and you're happy as a clam that's cool too.
Sponsored

Last edited: