Sponsored

JL Crash Tests

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
My brothers family wife and two kids were in a YJ wreck. Completely totaled the Jeep and Altima that hit them head on. Jeep tumbled twice end over end pulling a small trailer. They did not walk away but are still with us and fine now titanium enforcement in legs.. had they been in a JL don't think would have had half of the injuries but had been in a car all would have been lost. Hitting a smaller car MASS will always be your friend, not so much a wall. Kids in back seat were banged up but nothing broke, he and wife broke legs and feet and lady in the car is still in hospital years later.

IMAG0895.jpg
How's the family doing today? Was the womwn in the altima drunk? What vehicle did they get to replace the YJ?

I hope everyone is fully recovered and doing g well.
Sponsored

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
How's the family doing today? Was the womwn in the altima drunk? What vehicle did they get to replace the YJ?

I hope everyone is fully recovered and doing g well.
Thanks for asking.. All doing good some mornings are stiffer but nothing compared to what it could have been.

Not drunk speed and wet roads.

It was a toy for them so he got a side by side utv and a Goldwing. She is in an Expedition and would be in a Sherman Tank if they would let her.

After an afternoon ride in ours he is back looking for another jeep

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/jeep/wrangler/34192

"In the frontal offset test, the connection between the A-pillar and the trans-facia beam was damaged in a way that indicated the structure would be unable to withstand higher loads. Similarly, deformation of the footwell showed that the structure had reached the limit of its integrity. Although dummy readings indicated good protection of the knees and femurs of the driver and passenger dummy, structures in the dashboard were thought to present a risk to occupants of different sizes and to those sitting in different positions, and protection of this body area was rated as marginal. Dummy readings, together with the penalty applied for the unstable bodyshell, resulted in protection of the driver chest being rated as weak. In the full-width rigid barrier test, dummy readings of chest compression showed marginal protection of the driver chest. For the rear passenger, dummy readings showed weak protection of the neck and, combined with high shoulder-belt loads, poor protection of the chest. In the side barrier test, the Wrangler scored maximum points, with good protection of all critical body areas. No pole test was conducted on the Wrangler. Tests on the front seats and head restraints indicated good protection against whiplash injuries in the event of a rear-end collision. A geometric assessment of the rear seats also indicated good whiplash protection. The Wrangler is not equipped with an autonomous emergency braking (AEB) system."
Doesn't seem that bad to me really, given what it's designed to do. They could have added a knee airbag though I guess. Still a lot better than the JK anyway!
A heck of a lot better than a YJ!! Progress is good.

SUVs and trucks are designed to have the axle and engine drop in case of a head on collision.
True, but the solid axle in the front of the Wrangler behaves differently than IFS in the front of all other vehicles in its class. And, it didn't appear that the axle dropped out of the way, instead it launched rearward and caused intrusion at the floor pan which is my concern. A tall driver would likely suffer serious leg injury in that crash.

Overall though, considering that it's a high clearance 4x4 with a convertible top and a narrow occupant cabin, I would say that it could have been a lot worse.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
What surprised me was the fact that the windshield and A-pillars survived the impact! I was expecting the windshield, at least, to shatter.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They tested a diesel everyone is trying to get one over here and they crashed one on purpose nothing to do with the crash test just an observation.

Sponsored

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
IIHS did this for you. Amazing work they do if you think about it. Look at the test facilities - they're always 'like new' for each test. The info collected from destroyed cars, impact to passengers to even the skid marks on the pavement are all useful information.

Here's a really amazing side by side of old vs. new:

The footage from the inside was the big seller for me. Money can deal with the outside, but the safe capsule on the inside that allows you to survive is what counts. Remember the saying "They don't make them like they used to"? Thank God they don't make them like they used to. :like:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
They tested a diesel everyone is trying to get one over here and they crashed one on purpose nothing to do with the crash test just an observation.
Different diesel in the european market. 2.2 inline 4 over there and a 3.0 V6 here.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yep sorry missed that part
heh, no worries. Honestly I'd like to get a hold of one of those 2.2s myself. Swap out the Euro bumper for the Steel Bumpers and I'd be happy.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
heh, no worries. Honestly I'd like to get a hold of one of those 2.2s myself. Swap out the Euro bumper for the Steel Bumpers and I'd be happy.
Euro bumpers yuck I pulled the end caps off the steel bumper and love the look.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Euro bumpers yuk I pulled the end caps off the steel bumper and love the look.
heh, yes looks a lot better than whatever that "Impact barrier cushion" is on the euro bumpers..

njviking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 12 JKU, soon to be 18 or 19 JL
I have a Sahara with Rubicon takeoffs (285/70/17) with possible plan on 35s in the future and having the same debate 4.10 v 4.56. currently it drives ok but not ideal (I stay in 5th on back roads and mostly 6th on highway but with occasional need to downshift to 5th even at 70mph).

If you are going with 35s I would definately go 4.56 with the 6 speed (I drove a friends rubicon with stock 4.10s, 6-speed and 35s and felt it could use 4.56s at the very least)

I also live in NJ and reached out to Globex in Toms river (they did gears on a mustang of mine in the past). waiting for an aftermarket company to come out with gears in the next month or two to see how the price will be.
The footage from the inside was the big seller for me. Money can deal with the outside, but the safe capsule on the inside that allows you to survive is what counts. Remember the saying "They don't make them like they used to"? Thank God they don't make them like they used to. :like:
Thats an old X frame Bel air. Not known as the safest design.
Go jump in and drive a cj 5 and then tell me how safe you're feeling. Hell, mine had no seatbelts, roll cage, or doors. It also had a fiberglass tub and I put a 350 4bolt in it cuz it just wasn't fun enough..

Oh the dood old days.

krucam

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra, 2019 JLR ordered 12/22/2018
Occupation
FAA
So if you don't have the latest bells and whistles...
From the article:
The rating was pulled down in the Safety Assist category, as the 2019 Jeep Wrangler lacks automatic emergency braking and lane assistance.

“It is truly disappointing to see a brand new car being put on sale in 2018 with no autonomous braking system and no lane assistance”, commented Euro NCAP’sSecretary General, Michiel van Ratingen.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I have to say this is pretty disturbing. They just crashed the ram 1500 which aside from headlight glare aced everything (body on frame). The most troubling part of this test was where the injuries were. The jeep held up well to the impact which is actually a bad thing. It didn't crumple well meaning the passengers accepted the brunt of the energy into their seatbelts. The chest and neck took the brunt of the damage. I'd rather have a broken leg then a rib puncture my lung or a broken neck. It was good the side impact did well (especially considering the lack of curtain airbags which IMHO is ludicrous.

This should be a bit of a wake up to jeep (though it won't) that there's really no excuse for this stuff. The ram did great.

As for the airbag situation. Okay. You want to build a rough off roader. You know it won't crumple well... put airbags everywhere. They could have engineered knee airbags. They also could have put curtain airbags in. They could have designated certain spots to attach straps to not interfere with the curtain. Ford is using seatbelt airbags to distribute the force over a wider area in the chest.

As far as active/passive safety they kinda screwed the pooch on 2018, but are on the way to fixing that for 2019. So now they have camera (?radar) in the windshield. So they should have ACC, Forward Collision, and Automatic Emergency Braking set. Blind Spot Check. They should have the hardware they need for Lane keep assist as well which makes 2019 a bit of a half attempt.

There are options. I still have it on my radar for 2020. My dream would be a Wrangler or Gladiator that has all the safety tech my Wife's RDX has and the plug in hybrid to actually get gas mileage in line with cars a decade ago.

But I also have a reservation down for the Rivian so we shall see.