Sponsored

JL Crash Tests

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Anyone heard when the JL is suppose to be crash tested?

Let’s just say the JK results have been far from worth bragging about...

8055D017-F562-4808-BB33-3A8C4B2BBB06.jpeg

FAB27670-126E-418D-827A-658D1941BFEF.jpeg
Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
So it gets totalled, but you live!

Sponsored

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I dont think jeeps ever had a "good" crash test rating lol...but i can tell you my 2000 killed a brand new at that time 2013 Camaro SS....dumbass in front of me pulled one of those "oh i need to get over right now for this exit" moves while she hit the brakes and I ended up parking my front bumper in her back seat. The TJ just had battle scars in the form of paint damage and my winch power box was ripped off but that was it...airbags did not even pop.

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
I wonder if the Rubicon trim levels fare better in the crash test results, particularly the side impact category. Seeing as the Rubicon trims have steel rock rails and sometimes even steel bumpers, I'd venture to say they are safer than the other trim levels.

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
I wonder if the Rubicon trim levels fare better in the crash test results, particularly the side impact category. Seeing as the Rubicon trims have steel rock rails and sometimes even steel bumpers, I'd venture to say they are safer than the other trim levels.
Interesting. I never considered that but it should play some part. I wonder if there's crash test results for the JK that compare different trims.

stinggray

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Jeep
Or worse... in the way that older “solid” cars were less safe than modern cars with crumple zones.

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Yes to side airbags...thank goodness they are standard on the JL.

Sponsored

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
Or worse... in the way that older “solid” cars were less safe than modern cars with crumple zones.
Weren't older cars generally unsafe as well due to lack of airbags and sufficient restraints rather than lack of crumple zones? I can't imagine a crumple zone being always better than having a steel bar to deflect/absorb impact.

stinggray

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Jeep
Weren't older cars generally unsafe as well due to lack of airbags and sufficient restraints rather than lack of crumple zones? I can't imagine a crumple zone being always better than having a steel bar to deflect/absorb impact.
Yes of course, but the comment was in reference to the steel components, not other ways that older cars were unsafe.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
The goofy Ruibcon removable end cap bumper probably not your friend in a offset crash.

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
Yes of course, but the comment was in reference to the steel components, not other ways that older cars were unsafe.
No, no, what I meant was if an older solid car had modern safety features and was crash tested side by side with a modern car that had a crumple zone, wouldn't the older solid one provide more protection to the occupants? I wasn't alive during the olden days so my knowledge of older cars is pretty much nonexistent.

stinggray

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Jeep
No, no, what I meant was if an older solid car had modern safety features and was crash tested side by side with a modern car that had a crumple zone, wouldn't the older solid one provide more protection to the occupants? I wasn't alive during the olden days so my knowledge of older cars is pretty much nonexistent.
Nope. Crumple zones effectively slow down an impact. Imagine running into a solid concrete wall at 40 mph. The impact is at 40 mph. Then, imagine hitting an aluminum wall that “gives”. Perhaps that give equates to a 10 mph loss in impact speed. You then effectively slowed that impact by 25%.
Sponsored