Sponsored

JL Crash Tests

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S (Gladys) - 89' Civic SI
found this if it wasn't posted already,
looks to handle frontal offset pretty well.

TexasNate

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara, Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
The poor NCAP ratings were due to not having any active safety features.

Sponsored

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
My take on this is I trust real world data over controlled tests. The Jeep Wrangler is one of the cheapest vehicles to insure. And there are a ton of them on the road. If they were horrible in real life accidents, insurance rates would be far higher.

My insurance rates went up a whole $24/month going from collision only on an 11 year old Xterra to comprehensive 100/300/100 with $500 deductible.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
My take on this is I trust real world data over controlled tests. The Jeep Wrangler is one of the cheapest vehicles to insure. And there are a ton of them on the road. If they were horrible in real life accidents, insurance rates would be far higher.

My insurance rates went up a whole $24/month going from collision only on an 11 year old Xterra to comprehensive 100/300/100 with $500 deductible.
I agree with this. The IIHS tracks real world deaths in MVAs.
A 2014 JK had 27 deaths per million registered vehicle years. That’s better than the average of all cars in that model year of 30. A TJ had 99 deaths. I’m hoping the JL has even more real world improvement over the JK.

You can find the data here:
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/driver-death-rates

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with this. The IIHS tracks real world deaths in MVAs.
A 2014 JK had 27 deaths per million registered vehicle years. That’s better than the average of all cars in that model year of 30. A TJ had 99 deaths. I’m hoping the JL has even more real world improvement over the JK.

You can find the data here:
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/driver-death-rates
Couple things i noticed with stats by death rate.

This is only DRIVER death rate. It would be interesting to see rear passenger death rate.

4 door wrangler scored 18 out of 24 vehicles in its class.
This data is only up until 2014 vehicles.
It faired better than like 25 out of 30 4 door midsize cars
It faired better than many large pickups

allieboy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
In the 70s I worked for GM as a test dummy in high speed crashes

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I think these vehicles probably do better in the real world than they do in crash tests. Weight has its advantages, but not when you're colliding with an immovable object like in the controlled tests.

Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
oh my god, that rear passenger totally smashes their head on the side of the jeep.
I’m not sure how much it will help, but that’s one reason that my rock sliders are frame mounted. Anything to transfer the energy from a side impact away from the body shell. I know the acceleration still happens though, and I wish there were head curtains in the back too.

Last edited:

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not sure how much it will help, but that’s one reason that my rock sliders are frame mounted. Anything to transfer the energy from a side impact away from the body shell. I know the acceleration still happens though, and I wish there were head curtains in the back too.
Absolutely I have no idea if it helps but my Rock Slide Engineering steps are like bumpers for the side it's amazing how thick and sturdy they are. That was my logic to the wife anyway not sure if would hold up but wow these things are a beast.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hey, it could help! wondering if having it lifted also helps, or not. Would make the rockslider be more of a side bumper.
Sponsored