Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
Can’t speak to the 3.6 Pentastar but I added a long tube air inlet and a K&N cone filter on my FX35 and it had a significant impact on the exhaust sound. Made it more throaty and loud.
That's called induction noise and you hear it when the engine is under load. Exhaust and its noise comes from your tailpipe. In a Wrangler, changing the air intake has no connection to exhaust noise because the muffler is very quiet. Even a positive displacenent supercharger which seals up the intake behind rotors that act like revolving doors and force feed more air doesn't make the stock exhaust any louder or different.

In your other vehicle, the cone filter and the length of the inlet tube had very little to do with the throaty sound. Stock air intakrs (and even some aftermarket ones) have Helmholtz style resonators that smoothen out the pulses and therefore the noise. The inlet tube material might make a tiny difference depending on its sound absorption properties. E.g. metal one would make it sound a bit tinny and a plastic one makes it absorb some the high frequency noises and therefore makes it sound less tinny. The presence/absence of an airbox also makes a bit
Sponsored

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I plan on putting a K&N filter in as soon as they are available. I tossed around the idea of a cold air intake but the Mrs., who's Jeep it is, doesn't want a real loud growl.
So I thought what would happen if I opened up the bottom of the intake box? It would allow more air in than the standard box, but not as much as a cold air intake and it will be slightly louder than standard but not as loud as cold air.

Is this a dumb idea?
so you want to open the sealed air box of a wrangler ? why did you even buy a jeep smh

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
so you want to open the sealed air box of a wrangler ? why did you even buy a jeep smh
He can donk his jeep and slam it and add some serious camber if he likes.

You needn't worry about what anyone does to their jeep just like you needn't worry about what goes on in their bed room unless your husband/wife/spouse/a child/dependent is in there too.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
You needn't worry about what anyone does to their jeep just like you needn't worry about what goes on in their bed room unless your husband/wife/spouse/a child/dependent is in there too.
This is true. Except for the part where he created a thread and literally asked everyone

Is this a dumb idea?
to which the general consensus is yes.

I plan on putting a K&N filter in as soon as they are available.
Why? What exactly are you trying to accomplish with a CAI on your Wrangler?

Sponsored

JPWILLY

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLWilly 21 80th
So I’m here to stir the pot on this old thread. I have a 2020 Willys 3.6 and have a CAI(of sorts) with a K&N drop in filter in the original housing and air system. I bought the “Short Snorkel” set up and it pulls air from the passenger side fender (near the windshield). It gives a throaty growl but not very loudly, it is all because it still has the factory air box and piping to the throttle. If I were to swap out just the piping to a more straight (and without the resignator) then I’d hear the intake much louder.
Jeep Wrangler JL Intake box modification CE37055A-96C9-4E3A-9992-EF2CB39D1B20

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
So I’m here to stir the pot on this old thread. I have a 2020 Willys 3.6 and have a CAI(of sorts) with a K&N drop in filter in the original housing and air system. I bought the “Short Snorkel” set up and it pulls air from the passenger side fender (near the windshield). It gives a throaty growl but not very loudly, it is all because it still has the factory air box and piping to the throttle. If I were to swap out just the piping to a more straight (and without the resignator) then I’d hear the intake much louder.
Jeep Wrangler JL Intake box modification CE37055A-96C9-4E3A-9992-EF2CB39D1B20
Can you show some pics from under the hood?

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I've heard from other 2.0T owners that adding a CAI to this engine significantly increases the turbo noises. That would be cool, but I'm sure as hell not messing around with this Rube Goldberg of an engine. Its complicated ass is staying under warranty.

Edit: Damn, didn't realize the majority of this thread was from the JK era.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Soooooo.... is there a reason folks like a gauze filter that lets in LOADS of finite BS into their engine? Or am I just an arsehole for thinking that a nice paper filter that removes all the microparticles of garbage from their engine is a good thing.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Jesus guys, learn from an old fart that did this 20 years ago. Don’t cut your air box on anything, much less something you plan on fording a stream with.

CAIs can help turbo motors WITH the right tune, but keeping water out is much more important.

I’m down with souping up the 2.0T, but you want a JB4 and cat less DPs. Don’t try to out BOV a Civic (which this wouldn’t do anyways.