Sponsored

Got Mopar 2 inch lift do I need to do alignment?

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Instakled the 2 inch lift and the Jeep dealer says there is no need to do alignment on the truck is this true??

8578BEA4-16ED-4795-AC76-08EE903D4043.jpeg

DD275F6A-F0EF-4674-8B13-C4782F82A252.jpeg
Doesn’t look like you have the new/modified coil bases - you still have a pretty good bow on the drivers side - nothing you can align except Toe without adjustable control arms/Track bars.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Instakled the 2 inch lift and the Jeep dealer says there is no need to do alignment on the truck is this true??

Yes, alignment needs to be checked, which it says to do in the instructions. The instructions even have the specs. The dealer is either cutting corners or not communicating very well that they checked it. My alignment was perfect before the lift, but I was delayed a day because their alignment guy was sick. The service manager wouldn't let it leave without ensuring proper alignment. 6,000 miles later, it drives perfectly with no unusual tire wear. I'd tell the SM you want it aligned to the specs in the instructions. It even gives new specs for headlight adjustment.

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
It's completely unnecessary. The ONLY thing you can adjust on the Jeep as far as alignment is toe in. You can adjust that yourself easily using a tape measure and chalk. Paying for an alignment on a Jeep is just silly and a waste of money. I've had over 10 lifted Jeeps and not once did I ever get an alignment on any of them.
Most people don't know how to do it themselves. I did also, but was off slightly after an alignment. Do it yourself is ok for off road, but if you worried about tire wear and highway ride, go to your favorite shop. Self preference.

dejohnson8034

First Name
Dennis Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL Unlimited
According to the Mopar 2' Inch Lift Installation instructions, the springs will bow outwards when installed correctly, I agree that it does not look correct.

Sponsored

jhernandez

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JEEP WRANGLER SPORTS UNLIMITED 3.6 4 DOORS JL

Did you get an alignment after installing 2 inch mopar lift kit or no?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTSSD
What others are saying about not needing an alignment is correct, unless you have adjustable control arms. Factory toe settings won't damage anything and the drag link should have been adjusted with lift to center the steering wheel. Aside from that, the numbers are the numbers. We're talking fractal inches of toe adjustment here- 1/8th-1/16th inch and you likely won't even notice that below a 37"+ tire. Adjusting toe is only relevant to tire size here, not lift size. Only the early TJs and back had a minor adjustment you could make with factory cam bolts, when they weren't broken off from rust. If you get an alignment without replacing the control arms, it'll just tell you to adjust the control arm lengths (~2.5"+ lifts only), which you cannot do with fixed control arms. Install the lift, drive it. If it drives fine you're done. If it doesn't, get an alignment to see if you need to buy adjustable control arms. Alignments are very important on most vehicles because adjustments to caster and camber can be made. You cannot adjust caster or camber on fixed length JL/JT control arms.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I have never heard of anyone doing a lift kit before and not having it to do an alignment. I would spend $70 and have alignments but that's my opinion it's your Jeep you can do what you want
What are they aligning with that specific kit? Caster? Nope, control arms aren't adjustable. Camber? Nope, solid axles don't have adjustable camber. Toe? Well that is adjustable, but you didn't touch the tie rod so it's identical to what it was before the lift. If you want to pay $70 for someone else to adjust your drag link to center your steering wheel, by all means go for it. If just put a 15mm wrench to work and adjust it myself.

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Mopar lift is very incomplete for the amount of lift it provides. Your axles are likely not centered now - that may cause the spring bow, not sure though

You don't get anything from a new alignment as you didn't swap in any adjustable length parts (LCA, track bar) that can correct your caster or toe.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
Mopar lift is very incomplete for the amount of lift it provides. Your axles are likely not centered now - that may cause the spring bow, not sure though

You don't get anything from a new alignment as you didn't swap in any adjustable length parts (LCA, track bar) that can correct your caster or toe.
I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this. With two inches of lift and no adjustment in trackbar length your front axle will be offset to the left and your rear axle will be offset to the right. Measure from the edge of the tire to the edge of the fender flare on both sides and see if your axles are centered. My wife's Gladiator Mojave came with a Mopar 2" lift, and the front axle is offset by 5/8" to the left, while the rear axle is offset by 1/4" to the right. So, total axle misalignment is 7/8". If this doesn't bother you then just run it that way. If it does bother you then aftermarket adjustable trackbars will allow you to center the axles. After centering the front axle you will have to lengthen the drag link by the same amount you lengthened the trackbar, in order to have the steering wheel centered. You can do this easily with a 15mm ratcheting box end wrench. You can check tow yourself. Caster and Camber are not adjustable with a Mopar lift.

Sponsored

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Yes, get an alignment. Also, replace the front spring pads with ones that will straighten the spring.
If you didn't add an adjustable track bar, add one.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, get an alignment. Also, replace the front spring pads with ones that will straighten the spring.
If you didn't add an adjustable track bar, add one.
Do you realize you’re answering a question from a guy that was last seen 5 years ago ?

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you realize you’re answering a question from a guy that was last seen 5 years ago ?
Actually, three years ago and I just got the message, so.....

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this. With two inches of lift and no adjustment in trackbar length your front axle will be offset to the left and your rear axle will be offset to the right. Measure from the edge of the tire to the edge of the fender flare on both sides and see if your axles are centered. My wife's Gladiator Mojave came with a Mopar 2" lift, and the front axle is offset by 5/8" to the left, while the rear axle is offset by 1/4" to the right. So, total axle misalignment is 7/8". If this doesn't bother you then just run it that way. If it does bother you then aftermarket adjustable trackbars will allow you to center the axles. After centering the front axle you will have to lengthen the drag link by the same amount you lengthened the trackbar, in order to have the steering wheel centered. You can do this easily with a 15mm ratcheting box end wrench. You can check tow yourself. Caster and Camber are not adjustable with a Mopar lift.
Assuming a coefficient of friction of .35 average for most offroad scenarios (some less some a bit more) I'd say about 3500lbs (5500lb jeep times .65)assuming you are starting with no momentum and a tight strap. Again you won't break gear absent of momentum. You'll lose traction 1st even on dry pavement. Ballpark with momentum has way too many variables and is nearly infinite. Hook up a 1000' strap and send it and a 392, when that strap gets tight and the Jeeps traveling ~100mph the force generated would rip it in half even if the rigging was up to task. Take a cheap harbor freight 5klb strap and hook your jeep to a light pole, guess what happens when you try to treasure off with the strap tight? 4 wheel burnouts. Any of the math claiming higher than vehicle weight forces disproven for $20.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I have the isolators on the bottom of the springs by rock krawler and my spring still bow. If I buy adjustable track bar will that fix it I don't want to spend money if it won't when I can just buy new springs. I thought about just buying new springs these springs aren't very thick either compared to other springs people say that all springs bow not the ones I see most Jeeps I look at the springs are straight
Sponsored