Sponsored

Full time 4 wheel drive.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
what is the feeling of All time 4WD? is it a good thing or not why?
If I was buying a wrangler that my girlfriend/wife/mother/father/brother/pretty much anyone but me to drive, I would get them the full time 4wd transfer case. My thought being that you can put it in the full time position and just forget about it, the Jeep will use 4x4 when appropriate and 4x2 when that is appropriate (tight turns, I suspect highway speeds for MPG reasons). This set it and forget it is going to be better for most people. For myself however, I do not like CV boots like others have said. I just do not trust the boot to not rip/tear/puncture which will lead to a failure. I also feel confident in my ability to recognize when 4x4 is helpful on the street and when it will be a hindrance. I'm not saying I can shift it faster than a computer or anything like that, just that I know that when it's snowing and icy I should probably put it in 4x4 but then in a cleared parking lot I know it won't turn as tightly as cause binding so I may want to shift it back to 4x2. I have no problem with all that manual work of moving the lever and paying attention when I'm driving. Basically I'm comfortable doing the extra stuff manual 4x4 requires in exchange for (at least perceived) reliability/durability of that system.

But all this is kind of moot isn't it? Aren't all Rubicons now coming with the full time system? I suppose if I was buying a Jeep today I'd just have to put up with it, same as I do some of the other "features" I don't want like the FAD.
Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
If the cv boot is flawed. Why put it on a 392? Not being a bronco fan. What does a bronco use on their. Ifs

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
I only use the 4auto when I encounter snowy roads at my cabin in the NM mountains. But it's perfect for those conditions with partially cleared roads that have icy/snowy patches.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
With the. Rubicon if you go with full time 4 whl drive you still
Get the. Solid front axel. But it has cv joints to handle the full time part so how does that work. Also I have found one that ALS has the extreme recon package that comes wit 35s that and the fact the .392. Come with it makes me think itā€™s pretty strong. But back to the. Rubicon with full time and the extreme recon package with 35sit also comes with a 4.56 diffs but the t case is I think the 2.72 so the crawl ratio wonā€™t be as low if I get that right? What are your thoughts on this?

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Had it been available when I bought mine I would have got it. Great for those in snowy climes. IF I was into extreme off roading though Iā€™d skip it just because of the cv joint boots and their vulnerability. I like exploring off the beaten path, but do not do the extreme thing.

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Yes, I opted for the 4WD auto on my JLR. It is very handy to go in and out of while driving on snowy, patchy, slippery conditions. Used it a few times this week on my long driveway. I like it.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If the cv boot is flawed. Why put it on a 392? Not being a bronco fan. What does a bronco use on their. Ifs
Because just like the Sahara with full-time 4WD, the 392 is also full-time 4WD with the removal of the 2nd option. That is why.

OP
OP
Mike M

Mike M

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FX35, Smart Car, 23 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Retired
Thanks everyone for your opinions and reasoning. You did help me feel comfortable with my decision. I did get an the full-time 4WD. How I have to learn how to use it.

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

The 392's come with it because I think jeep wanted to be able to regulate the power to all 4 wheels for safety reasons. I have seen several transfer cases on 392's fail when doing hard wheeling. At winter 4x4 jamboree this year in Sand Hollow I saw a 392 locked in 4lo with lockers on and it appeared that the transfer case was slipping because it wasn't turning the front wheels consistently on some of the harder obstacles. So I think the important thing is you have to be honest with yourself on your uses and pick the transfer cases appropriately.

Rodinator1234

First Name
Rod Forester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 3.0 Ecodiesel
How many 4Runners/Tacomas insert IFS CV front half shaft. Hummerā€¦ CVā€™s are there out there. To hear all this you would think it would be terrible. Like the trails would be littered with them.

Sponsored

JINO

First Name
Jino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
I think it's a neat feature, though I don't have it.
My mother has it on her Sahara but she practically never drives it. She does not offroad either. Her 2018 has 4k miles on it, I put 4k miles my first month haha!
We live in Southern ca and it barely rains here, she lives in a desert and I live on a snowy mountain. But I do fine in 2hi on ice, very few times I use 4hi on ice, I did last month when we got 6' of snow and the roads were iced over (rare for socal).

Rodinator1234

First Name
Rod Forester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 3.0 Ecodiesel
I did order the option on our 23 XR Rubicon. I see little to no downside.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Quoting another thread. While the 392 obviously isn't an issue with the 2-door, I believe the transfer case operates the same.

Biggest reason is to get the Jeep computer out of my transfer case. The 392 is awd and engages 4wd with clutches. Clutches easily fail. And it was deciding when it did or didnā€™t want to be in 4wd, no matter where the shifter was. I was losing power to front under heavy throttle. And recently it hasnā€™t wanted to come out of part time 4wd šŸ™„

SkDmRkLcY

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I have it on my Gladiator but not my 2 Door. It is nice when questionable out but I donā€™t really use it much as I tend to just want to do 2WD or 4 HI if needed. Wheeled one with it no issues with the CVs. I would prefer to not have it just as it makes some aftermarket a little harder to verify but that isnā€™t most people. If you want it I wouldnā€™t be scared of it.

TheGrendel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU Recon
I have it on my Gladiator but not my 2 Door. It is nice when questionable out but I donā€™t really use it much as I tend to just want to do 2WD or 4 HI if needed. Wheeled one with it no issues with the CVs. I would prefer to not have it just as it makes some aftermarket a little harder to verify but that isnā€™t most people. If you want it I wouldnā€™t be scared of it.
I have it on my Gladiator as well. I really like it. It wasnā€™t an option I was looking for. It just happened to be on the truck I bought. My next Wrangler will probably have it.
Sponsored