Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Picked up new rig last night at the dealer, it ordered by me, its well optioned just about everything except the Cold Weather option and leather seats...I live in S Florida.

This is my(personal) 5th Rubicon and have racked up over 175k on them with my 2003 just short of hitting the 100k mark.. I have owned a TJ, LJ, JK x2 and now the JL.

Put 25 miles on it: WOW, what a Jeep, almost overwhelmed with it, its an incredible vehicle. I go the 4:88 gears and (sadly) and auto trans, finally left the world of Sticks on Jeeps after 57 years of driving them. I went auto due to the 8 gear lineup and my choice of 4:88. All total I have at least 175k miles with 4:88s, love the performance gain and now with the 8 spd auto you still got your top-end performance. Maybe lose a bit on mpg...but it's a Jeep!

Very impressed with all the options available on a vehicle that will do the Rubicon Trail in OEM form (which was the test bed and the metric for the Rubicon). Great driver, fun, a ton of safety options on it that makes sense in driving thje streets today

Does it wheel: Yes and No. It has all the capabilities. What it lacks is the ability and this comes from the option packages that are electrical-based. That said I would not hesitate to hit the Rubicon again or play in Moab, it will do anything out there. However, you run the risk of option interference and electrical issues. Were I Jeep I would have a switch on there that is labeled 'Hard Core Off Road' and this would turn off all of the electrical and radar and other bells and whistles that mine has.

If you want to go play at the 10 trail-rated levels either get a base Rubicon with zero options or just go with a base JL and strip out the axles and transfer case and build from there...I would pull the engine also, the last engine Jeep had for OR was the straight 6.

Value: This is a hard shot to call. My 2003 max options (except the auto trans) was $23k, the JL with max options (except the cold weather and the optional engines) was $63k. Worth it? To me, YES. I got all the options because I am old and soft and paid my dues on the rocks and the outback from Alaska to Latin America, Europe, Asia and more trips to Moab than I can count. My wife says I have finally graduated out of the dirt! Albeit I have a wheeling buddy in California and when wants to go do the Rubicon again and Moab would be on the way...

And the winner is: Best all around Jeep ever: JL Rubicon...hands down

FILE_3131.jpg

IMG_5748.JPG
Sponsored

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
Imo, jeeps are insanely wayyy over priced. I paid 45k for my bare bones 21 rubicon 2 door 6 speed ragtop, and that was overpriced. I couldn't stomach a 60k+ jeep with all the bells and whistles. If I could do it all over again I would get a Willys sport and call it good!....congrats on your new jeep!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Just the 8 speed auto is $4,250, and look at the price jumps on the other options. An extra $1,245 for those wheels that used to be standard. Crazy. The 4.88s look like a relative bargain though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Old Jeeper

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Imo, jeeps are insanely wayyy over priced. I paid 45k for my bare bones 21 rubicon 2 door 6 speed ragtop, and that was overpriced. I couldn't stomach a 60k+ jeep with all the bells and whistles. If I could do it all over again I would get a Willys sport and call it good!....congrats on your new jeep!
I agree, its is almost 3x the cost of my 2003 with every option. When I picked mine last night the dealer had just gotten a delivery and they had a JLU that was almost $70k MSRP!!!!

What has happened to Jeep as we know them is they have gone mainstream. BUT Jeep (Wrangler) Sales are WAY WAY down, from a high of 240k in 2018 to a bit over 140k in 2022.

I cannot address profit on Jeep today. But I do know that historically Jeep has been the most PROFITABLE vehicle sold in the US. In the early days, Jeep was lucky to sell 20k units a year, but the profit was about 80%.

When MB bought Chrysler they were going to kill the Jeep Wrangler due to low sales numbers. Then Jeep told MB you don't understand, yea we sell many but the ones we do sell many but we have the highest margins of anything sold in the US. Look at how often they change body style. Look at the body, a box on 4 wheels, not zackly difficult to press out, no complex swooping fenders etc. They are still simple, not as simple as the TJ or early Jeeps doors were an option. Organic AC did not show up until the TJ.

If I was Jeep I would build a BASE model and when I say base I mean stripped bare. It would come in 2 versions: 2/4 door. 1 would be a Rubicon grade with the transfer case and axles, the other a non-Rubicon version with a regular transfer case and axles. These 2 would called "B" models, B as in Builder grade, aimed at folks who want to build a OR rig. FEW options: AC, trans and not much else from there.

Jeep contacted me and wanted to meet and I agreed. This was back in 2003. I brought the "Builder" concept up and the Engineers thought it was a great idea, Marketing thought it take sales away from the higher-end Jeep that has more profit. THe meeting was with the Jeep Rubicon Engineers and the Head of Jeep Wrangler Marketing and Jeep Wrangler Manufacturing. I did mention that other Mfg had done since the late 60s in special bare-bones models. Chev did with the COPO Camaro and I think Dodge did it with one of the models and it came with the 426 Hemi and was meant to be racers and barely legal for the street. I think shops and individuals that were serious hard-core OR folks would buy and build. It would a limited run like the Camaro COPO which is about 160 units annually. I would have been a buyer when I had my Jeep off-road shop.

Sorry for day dreams...

OP
OP
Old Jeeper

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nice Jeep, you will love it. I might be somewhat biased though, lol.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Rubicon First Drive Impressions 60E5E159-BAE6-4E1F-B6F0-89ABE824FF10
Did you do this too? Never thought about it till I saw it on the option list. I also tried to get the Snorkle, but was not available when I ordered...

Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Rubicon First Drive Impressions IMG_5745.JPG

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Did you do this too? Never thought about it till I saw it on the option list. I also tried to get the Snorkle, but was not available when I ordered...

Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Rubicon First Drive Impressions IMG_5745.JPG
No, mine was dealer inventory. I traded in a 2020 JLUR for it. Added a 2.5” TeraFlex lift and 35’s. Has the 4:10 gears and does just fine with the 2.0 Turbo and 8 speed auto. Mine is a 2022 and I picked it up in March.

Grayone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 TRX, 392 Rubicon (sold), 2 door Rubicon
I also just picked up my 2 door Rubicon, put 35's and a steering stabilizer. It handles and drives way better than my late, great 392. Go figure.
20221020_135015.jpg
in

Last edited:

Sponsored

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
I also just picked up my 2 door Rubicon, put 35's and a steering stabilizer. It handles and drives way better than my late, great 392. Go figure. View attachment 670176 View attachment 670176
How so just out of curiosity, just more nimble or what? I feel like the 392 with the weight would be pretty balanced - I'm debating a 2 door vs 4 door now.

Grayone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 TRX, 392 Rubicon (sold), 2 door Rubicon
The 392 steering, at least in mine, was sloppy. I know it is not a Corvette, but it was down right scary at times. Note I had 35's with no stabilizer since day one, so that might have been a factor. Traded it off on a TRX at 6xx miles. That said, I have a Reign 392 on order! Everyone needs at least 2 jeeps in the garage...especially if one is purple!

mrtm1970

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Picked up new rig last night at the dealer, it ordered by me, its well optioned just about everything except the Cold Weather option and leather seats...I live in S Florida.

This is my(personal) 5th Rubicon and have racked up over 175k on them with my 2003 just short of hitting the 100k mark.. I have owned a TJ, LJ, JK x2 and now the JL.

Put 25 miles on it: WOW, what a Jeep, almost overwhelmed with it, its an incredible vehicle. I go the 4:88 gears and (sadly) and auto trans, finally left the world of Sticks on Jeeps after 57 years of driving them. I went auto due to the 8 gear lineup and my choice of 4:88. All total I have at least 175k miles with 4:88s, love the performance gain and now with the 8 spd auto you still got your top-end performance. Maybe lose a bit on mpg...but it's a Jeep!

Very impressed with all the options available on a vehicle that will do the Rubicon Trail in OEM form (which was the test bed and the metric for the Rubicon). Great driver, fun, a ton of safety options on it that makes sense in driving thje streets today

Does it wheel: Yes and No. It has all the capabilities. What it lacks is the ability and this comes from the option packages that are electrical-based. That said I would not hesitate to hit the Rubicon again or play in Moab, it will do anything out there. However, you run the risk of option interference and electrical issues. Were I Jeep I would have a switch on there that is labeled 'Hard Core Off Road' and this would turn off all of the electrical and radar and other bells and whistles that mine has.

If you want to go play at the 10 trail-rated levels either get a base Rubicon with zero options or just go with a base JL and strip out the axles and transfer case and build from there...I would pull the engine also, the last engine Jeep had for OR was the straight 6.

Value: This is a hard shot to call. My 2003 max options (except the auto trans) was $23k, the JL with max options (except the cold weather and the optional engines) was $63k. Worth it? To me, YES. I got all the options because I am old and soft and paid my dues on the rocks and the outback from Alaska to Latin America, Europe, Asia and more trips to Moab than I can count. My wife says I have finally graduated out of the dirt! Albeit I have a wheeling buddy in California and when wants to go do the Rubicon again and Moab would be on the way...

And the winner is: Best all around Jeep ever: JL Rubicon...hands down

Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Rubicon First Drive Impressions 29A3010F-6EF7-4BF2-8D6E-6235241F2AB9

Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Rubicon First Drive Impressions 29A3010F-6EF7-4BF2-8D6E-6235241F2AB9
Congrats!!!

Will say this living in FL myself & temps were 49 deg at work this morning....you will regret not getting the cold weather package. EVEN in Naples ( I used to live there back in 2010), it has gotten down that low during the winter.

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, '22 JLUR 4xe
Beautiful 2 doors! I want another one too!

Does 4 half doors equal 2 full doors? :CWL:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Rubicon First Drive Impressions IMG_2193

Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Rubicon First Drive Impressions IMG_2192
Sponsored