ESS Start Stop technology, thoughts?

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
1. It sounds awful. A car at a stoplight using this system sounds like nails on a chalk board.
2. Since I will be driving a manual and rarely release the clutch at stop lights, not much to worry about.

From what I understand leaving your foot on the clutch at a stop wears the clutch out faster.
Sponsored

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
From what I understand leaving your foot on the clutch at a stop wears the clutch out faster.
Is this true? I typically leave my clutch in at stop lights as well and I'm at 165,000+ miles with no issues.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
This sucks just so you know and IMO a PITA. On our GC Trailhawk we have it. I have had it in several other cars and you can disable it, once it is disable it ā€œremembersā€ the last setting so every time you start the car it stays off until you turn it on.

Not so much in the Jeep. They made it so it defaults to on every time. The tech doesnā€™t save any fuel and is annoying as hell especially in SoCal with the traffic and amount of stop lights.

Good news there is a savior and he has created a dongle you plug into the port on your car and it will remember the last setting. I am confident he will do it for the Wrangler.

http://www.smartstopstart.com/

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
I think there will be a fix for this. It's on a lot of F150's and can be disabled with a simple jumper wire at the button you push to disable it. Some smart tech person here will figure it out and post it here.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU

Sponsored

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
I test drove a Sahara last weekend with the stop start and if I hadn't been looking for it, I'd never have even noticed it. Very seamless. But I don't think I'd want it when out on a trail...

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I test drove a Sahara last weekend with the stop start and if I hadn't been looking for it, I'd never have even noticed it. Very seamless. But I don't think I'd want it when out on a trail...
At first, you donā€™t mind it, but it gets annoying very quickly, especially in start/stop traffic. There are a few threads on this topic, and one explains that there is a sensor under the hood you can disconnect to make it stop. It does cause a light on your dash, but it is supposedly minimal.

Another way to prevent it, once you come to a complete stop, is to only lightly hold the brake pedal. It wonā€™t turn off if you are lightly pressing, but as soon as you apply pressure itā€™ll shut off.

Fib3r0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara
my ESS works great, I have to tell my wife when it kicks in, otherwise we wouldn't even know. I like new tech, my 08 was as tech as a model T.

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
Definitely riding the clutch is a sure way to limit it's lifespan. Hover over it, put your foot on the floor or keep it pressed in.

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Correct me if Iā€™m wrong but, I found a setting in the menu while test driving where you can set the amount of delay it has before it kicks in. So you can essentially set it to only turn off at long lights instead of at every stop sign.

67392B00-0D45-4724-B97F-858F365B63BD.jpeg

Sponsored

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Iā€™ll be honest I was in the same boat never owned a start stop but Iā€™ve driven in them the JL is very quick to turn on Iā€™ve noticed that if I engage start stop at a red light and even slightly adjust my foot positioning on the break it turns the engine on which I like but the button on the dash is very accessible to disable start stop

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Correct me if Iā€™m wrong but, I found a setting in the menu while test driving where you can set the amount of delay it has before it kicks in. So you can essentially set it to only turn off at long lights instead of at every stop sign.

67392B00-0D45-4724-B97F-858F365B63BD.jpeg
I believe this setting is for when you turn the car off how long the engine remains active my 2015 Chrysler 200 had the same settings in the uConnect

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I believe this setting is for when you turn the car off how long the engine remains active my 2015 Chrysler 200 had the same settings in the uConnect
Oh or is it how long the electricity remains flowing after the engine is turned off in park.