Sponsored

Disabling ESS Auto Start/Stop .... Yes, I know....

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
I disabled mine. No more button to push. Took me longer to locate the hood latch than it did to disconnect the right hood sensor thingy. Easy peasy. Didn't even break a nail.
Sponsored

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2014 Roadster 981S, 2009 CLK350 AMG/coupe
mwilk02, i do not think that is correct...... my panamera has a button that turns ESS off.. and leaves it off until you change the setting.
it does not reset every time you start the car with the ignition like the jeep does
Porsche’s are different our Porsche stays off as well. Our MB you have to trigger off. Porsche doesn’t have a speed limiter our MB has a speed limiter.
Porsche rocks! :) but we love our jeep and MB too!

Medictrode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2017 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Sir,

I really appreciate your work on this and thank you for doing it.. I was thinking about doing the same thing then came across this thread. My initial thought was a simple Arduino CAN bus circuit, then find the strings needed to disable the ESS. It seems you have already done this and I would certainly like more details on your work. Also curious as to which microcontroller you are using and the code you used. If you wouldn't mind PM'ing me with the details it would be most appreciated. Thank you..

MarkL

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4 door rubicon Fire cracker Red Ford F-350 4x4
Nice work! I look forward to seeing the parts list and instructions!!

Lion44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport S
All vehicles that have this feature just need to include a “remember last used” function. Set it and forget it! Not too hard for these genius engineers in the automotive world. They just don’t want to. It is an obamanation! So sad.

Sponsored

Phredog

First Name
Phred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I appreciate your efforts. Also I like the smug feeling that I get when I make a problem go away. I get that "warm fuzzy" feeling.

darkhorse

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Yes Please!! The auto start stop is the worst thing ever!! At least for me I hate it. I know it’s not a Jeep thing and all new cars have it I wish they would allow you to have the option setting it in off with out having to press it every time you start the car.
ive seen a device advertised for around $100 that goes under your dash and keeps the auto start in whichever mode you put it.. i.e. if you shut it off.. it keeps that all the time until you turn it on.. then keeps that.. regardless of how many starts.. haven't tried it.. but I don't want my jeep to be a garage ornament for 6 months trying to fix it.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Just pull the second hood sensor. The as/s feature is disabled and remote start is still functional.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
We can all thank Obama and the insidious EPA for this nonsense. This auto start/stop shit that cannot be disabled permanently or programmed off as a default is an obamanation!!!
The Globalists wanted this and the Limp Wristed Queen delivered

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Get used to it. More and more of this is becoming standard across the board on all makes and models - keyless ignition, ESS, cameras, small displacement turbocharged engines, hybrid and electric, etc.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Like most of you, I loathe the auto start/stop "feature". I don't care what the research says, I don't care about "high-performance starters", there's no way I'm going to be convinced that stopping and starting all day long in traffic isn't harder on the powertrain than if it wasn't happening. I'm also not a fan of pulling hood-pins, or riding around with my seatbelt off just to "fool" the Jeep into thinking everything's A-OK.

I'm an electronics engineer, and while CANBUS architecture is by no means my strong point, I was able to design a little MCU that I interfaced with the bus behind the radio in my JLUR. Basically, it just sits idle, constantly monitoring the bus for the HEX string that indicates the transmission has been shifted into any forward gear (haven't checked this on a manual, but the theory should apply). Once that string is detected, the controller issues the HEX string to disable auto start/stop just as if the button had been physically pressed. This condition is saved until the ignition power cycles, at which time the sequence simply begins again, or if the "feature" is manually reactivated by pressing the button on the dash.

This is all currently in a tidy little jumble in my passenger seat, but since I got it working this last Friday, it's been flawless. Total power draw is less than 10ma, so standby battery draw is pretty nominal.

Once I get everything mounted up in an enclosure (having one fabricated as we speak) I will take some pictures and document everything here. Anyone with very basic electronics skill should be able to solder this inline with the bus/12VDC. Once some decent aftermarket radio harnesses become available, this could be installed without splicing anything on the vehicle.

If there's enough demand, and I have the time, I might be willing to spend some time building a few others.

Stay tuned!
While I was waiting on my JL to be built, I was reading about the irritations that many were having with the ESS system and fully expected to be similarly irritated. As it turned out though, with the manual transmission, the only time I find that it activates on me is if I'm at a stop light, put the stick in neutral, and release the clutch. Since I normally only do this on lights that I know will be pretty long, having the engine shut off is not that big of a deal. The a-c is already cooled down by this point and there seems to still be enough cooling thermal mass left in the system for it to keep blowing cold air for the duration of the stop.

But, I fully expecting to be irritated with it, so I came up with what I thought might be a solution from the limited information that I cool glean from videos of people removing the panel at the time. It seemed to me that there were separate wires going to the switch and LED, so I could just monitor the LED and use a relay to simulate the switch being pressed if need be. Here's the solution I came up with:

https://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959/vehicles/wrangler-jl-electronic-start-stop

I later found out that this is not the case, so that solution would not have worked. I saw where someone posted a photo of the back of that panel unit and instead of it being a case of some wires going to the LED and the switch from the vehicle's computer, multiple wires were going to the entire panel, but not enough wires for all the switches and LEDs, so obviously they were just communication and power wires. Apparently there is a controller in the panel unit that handles all of the switches and LEDs on that panel unit and it in turn sends the results to the main computer as necessary. If all of those switches had been wired directly, then it would have required at least 30 wires in the wiring bundle that goes to that panel unit.

I've never done any CAN-BUS programming, but I would be very interested in the code that you use to do it. I had been thinking of ordering one of the MCP2515 modules for Arduino and giving it a try.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-T43-MC...h=item41ed82ca00:g:438AAOSwkKBbA5Ls:rk:3:pf:0

There just does not seem to be much documentation out there on what the various CAN-BUS messages look like and how to use them.

And for those of you who say to just use one of the commercial products, well, for some of us, the ability to create our own solution is well over half the fun.

Just think what all options it opens up if you have an Arduino processor inside the cabin of the vehicle and it is communicating on the vehicle's communication bus... You can have a bank of switches that the Arduino processor reads and then it can send the appropriate CAN-BUS message to cause some action to be performed. Instead of having to press the touchscreen to cause the rear view camera to come on, you could just set a toggle switch and the Arduino processor could cause it to be on instead. If the reverse lights are controlled by the CAN-BUS, you could possibly cause them to come on even though you are not in reverse.

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Like most of you, I loathe the auto start/stop "feature". I don't care what the research says, I don't care about "high-performance starters", there's no way I'm going to be convinced that stopping and starting all day long in traffic isn't harder on the powertrain than if it wasn't happening. I'm also not a fan of pulling hood-pins, or riding around with my seatbelt off just to "fool" the Jeep into thinking everything's A-OK.

I'm an electronics engineer, and while CANBUS architecture is by no means my strong point, I was able to design a little MCU that I interfaced with the bus behind the radio in my JLUR. Basically, it just sits idle, constantly monitoring the bus for the HEX string that indicates the transmission has been shifted into any forward gear (haven't checked this on a manual, but the theory should apply). Once that string is detected, the controller issues the HEX string to disable auto start/stop just as if the button had been physically pressed. This condition is saved until the ignition power cycles, at which time the sequence simply begins again, or if the "feature" is manually reactivated by pressing the button on the dash.

This is all currently in a tidy little jumble in my passenger seat, but since I got it working this last Friday, it's been flawless. Total power draw is less than 10ma, so standby battery draw is pretty nominal.

Once I get everything mounted up in an enclosure (having one fabricated as we speak) I will take some pictures and document everything here. Anyone with very basic electronics skill should be able to solder this inline with the bus/12VDC. Once some decent aftermarket radio harnesses become available, this could be installed without splicing anything on the vehicle.

If there's enough demand, and I have the time, I might be willing to spend some time building a few others.

Stay tuned!
Your brakes are pressure sensitive with the ESS..if you are at a stop and dont fully press the brake all the way down the engine will not shut off.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Your brakes are pressure sensitive with the ESS..if you are at a stop and dont fully press the brake all the way down the engine will not shut off.
Perhaps, but we should not discourage him. Having a published way of working with the Jeep CAN-BUS has the potential to help all of us in mods that we might think about in the future. We should not have to depend upon commercial entities to *hopefully* create a feature that we might want. Being able to do it ourselves is what we should strive for.

So @dmoney, GO FOR IT... If you're going the Arduino route, I'm *extremely* interested since I often do development in it now that I'm retired and away from the specialized systems that we had when I worked on DoD projects.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
All vehicles that have this feature just need to include a “remember last used” function. Set it and forget it! Not too hard for these genius engineers in the automotive world. They just don’t want to. It is an obamanation! So sad.
Yeah, well it would be nice, but they can't do that and get the MPG increase they want and need to help meet the Obamacare Cafe standards. That's what this is all about.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I was hoping to purchase a titanium robot hand that will press the button for me Cousin It style when I crank her up.

"Cousin It" style...…………………..or perhaps Howard Wolowitz style????

;)

Note: meant solely as humor, not in any way specific or derogatory to @Xingpao
Sponsored