Disabling electronic start/stop

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
If you order an owner's manual, make sure that you request the newest version (V3 or higher). V3 includes much more information than the first two versions!
Sponsored

Phredog

First Name
Phred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I disconnected the hood sensor on my Grand Cherokee so that the ESS would not bother my wife. Yes, I get an error message, but for now that is OK for now. I rather have a long term fix.

The Grand Cherokee has only one sensor.

I thought of just rigging up a Microchip 12F508 to close a relay momentarily after a start. I was thinking of connecting the N.O. contact across the push button.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
(1) ESS is standard.
(2) RTFM.
Ease up on the OP Cowboy. RTFM is a saying that if you didn't get from me (and you probably did), was something I told you a few days ago when you intimated that I do same, only to then be schooled on how I had very much done so, and from your answer, you clearly hadn't.

Shall we take that memory lane stroll? I was accused by you of being stupid for questioning why the ESS fail light came on when the engine was cold. They have nothing to do with each other.

Today you accused people with ESS problems of being Snowflakes. So if you spent $50K on a rig with ESS problems 2000 miles out of the dealer you wouldn't pursue it? OK: that's you're right, but it doesn't make people who do, while still under warranty no less, complainers. Would you suggest only bringing in the rig when the problem not only gets worse, but its repair cost is out of pocket? Early (legitimate) complainers earned all of us free cruise control upgrades that made us all safer.

For everyone's sake, dial down the mean and up the nice. You may make a mistake now and then, (oh wait, you already did) or need answer to a question, even one others think obvious.

Quick, go erase these references I cite.

OP: a habitually RTFMer is one thing. Someone for which life got in the way between taking possession of the rig and reading the manual is normal. Most people aren't anal little poops like me who practically had the online version memorized before picking up the rig.

Last edited:

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I truly like the Essential system.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Ease up on the OP Cowboy. RTFM is a saying that if you didn't get from me (and you probably did), was something I told you a few days ago when you intimated that I do same, only to then be schooled on how I had very much done so, and from your answer, you clearly hadn't.

Shall we take that memory lane stroll? I was accused by you of being stupid for questioning why the ESS fail light came on when the engine was cold. They have nothing to do with each other.

Today you accused people with ESS problems of being Snowflakes. So if you spent $50K on a rig with ESS problems 2000 miles out of the dealer you wouldn't pursue it? OK: that's you're right, but it doesn't make people who do, while still under warranty no less, complainers. Would you suggest only bringing in the rig when the problem not only gets worse, but its repair cost is out of pocket? Early (legitimate) complainers earned all of us free cruise control upgrades that made us all safer.

For everyone's sake, dial down the mean and up the nice. You may make a mistake now and then, (oh wait, you already did) or need answer to a question, even one others think obvious.

Quick, go erase these references I cite.

OP: a habitually RTFMer is one thing. Someone for which life got in the way between taking possession of the rig and reading the manual is normal. Most people aren't anal little poops like me who practically had the online version memorized before picking up the rig.
Bless your heart! :captain:

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
SMARTSTOPSTART--has an ESS module that will permanently disable the ESS system in your JL NOW

CHECKITOUT

W.E.

JIMBO

Reactions: JJB

LouisianaLady

First Name
Kathleen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Wrangl Rubic man 3.6l V6 24V VVT Upg l ESS
YESSS!!! I'm In.
Thanks!
New issue with manual:

I had 2016 Rubicon manual with no power package. Perfect car. Other driver totaled it.
Now I have 2021 wrangler Rubicon manual that came with ESS. After a year, ESS quit working altogether. Dealer worked on it 5 times with only temporary success. Dealer is accomofating me.
1. Does anyone have a 2023 Wrangler Rubicon with manual? DOES ESS WORK?
2. If instead I bypass ESS (12 volt auxiliary battery) how good is the mileage then?