Sponsored

Disabling ESS Auto Start/Stop .... Yes, I know....

EricSting

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Like most of you, I loathe the auto start/stop "feature". I don't care what the research says, I don't care about "high-performance starters", there's no way I'm going to be convinced that stopping and starting all day long in traffic isn't harder on the powertrain than if it wasn't happening. I'm also not a fan of pulling hood-pins, or riding around with my seatbelt off just to "fool" the Jeep into thinking everything's A-OK.

I'm an electronics engineer, and while CANBUS architecture is by no means my strong point, I was able to design a little MCU that I interfaced with the bus behind the radio in my JLUR. Basically, it just sits idle, constantly monitoring the bus for the HEX string that indicates the transmission has been shifted into any forward gear (haven't checked this on a manual, but the theory should apply). Once that string is detected, the controller issues the HEX string to disable auto start/stop just as if the button had been physically pressed. This condition is saved until the ignition power cycles, at which time the sequence simply begins again, or if the "feature" is manually reactivated by pressing the button on the dash.

This is all currently in a tidy little jumble in my passenger seat, but since I got it working this last Friday, it's been flawless. Total power draw is less than 10ma, so standby battery draw is pretty nominal.

Once I get everything mounted up in an enclosure (having one fabricated as we speak) I will take some pictures and document everything here. Anyone with very basic electronics skill should be able to solder this inline with the bus/12VDC. Once some decent aftermarket radio harnesses become available, this could be installed without splicing anything on the vehicle.

If there's enough demand, and I have the time, I might be willing to spend some time building a few others.

Stay tuned!
Do you have a pinout of the wiring on the switch? Did you meter everything? (with vehicle on/switch on, veh on/sw off) Just saves me time...I have an idea for something that i'll probably work on next week.

Thanks!
Sponsored

slavka001

First Name
Slavka
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 2019
Dmoney,
Just got my 2019 Wrangler! And ordered some canbus arduino boards. Can you share what hex needs to be sent to disable ASS? Did you figure out transmission code?

allieboy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Like most of you, I loathe the auto start/stop "feature". I don't care what the research says, I don't care about "high-performance starters", there's no way I'm going to be convinced that stopping and starting all day long in traffic isn't harder on the powertrain than if it wasn't happening. I'm also not a fan of pulling hood-pins, or riding around with my seatbelt off just to "fool" the Jeep into thinking everything's A-OK.

I'm an electronics engineer, and while CANBUS architecture is by no means my strong point, I was able to design a little MCU that I interfaced with the bus behind the radio in my JLUR. Basically, it just sits idle, constantly monitoring the bus for the HEX string that indicates the transmission has been shifted into any forward gear (haven't checked this on a manual, but the theory should apply). Once that string is detected, the controller issues the HEX string to disable auto start/stop just as if the button had been physically pressed. This condition is saved until the ignition power cycles, at which time the sequence simply begins again, or if the "feature" is manually reactivated by pressing the button on the dash.

This is all currently in a tidy little jumble in my passenger seat, but since I got it working this last Friday, it's been flawless. Total power draw is less than 10ma, so standby battery draw is pretty nominal.

Once I get everything mounted up in an enclosure (having one fabricated as we speak) I will take some pictures and document everything here. Anyone with very basic electronics skill should be able to solder this inline with the bus/12VDC. Once some decent aftermarket radio harnesses become available, this could be installed without splicing anything on the vehicle.

If there's enough demand, and I have the time, I might be willing to spend some time building a few others.

Stay tuned!
Or you could hit that button thingy

modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
Subscribe this thread.
Can we simply short the switch button for one second mimicking button pressed every time when the car is turn hot
Sponsored