Sponsored

Disabling ESS Auto Start/Stop .... Yes, I know....

dmoney

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18JLUR
Like most of you, I loathe the auto start/stop "feature". I don't care what the research says, I don't care about "high-performance starters", there's no way I'm going to be convinced that stopping and starting all day long in traffic isn't harder on the powertrain than if it wasn't happening. I'm also not a fan of pulling hood-pins, or riding around with my seatbelt off just to "fool" the Jeep into thinking everything's A-OK.

I'm an electronics engineer, and while CANBUS architecture is by no means my strong point, I was able to design a little MCU that I interfaced with the bus behind the radio in my JLUR. Basically, it just sits idle, constantly monitoring the bus for the HEX string that indicates the transmission has been shifted into any forward gear (haven't checked this on a manual, but the theory should apply). Once that string is detected, the controller issues the HEX string to disable auto start/stop just as if the button had been physically pressed. This condition is saved until the ignition power cycles, at which time the sequence simply begins again, or if the "feature" is manually reactivated by pressing the button on the dash.

This is all currently in a tidy little jumble in my passenger seat, but since I got it working this last Friday, it's been flawless. Total power draw is less than 10ma, so standby battery draw is pretty nominal.

Once I get everything mounted up in an enclosure (having one fabricated as we speak) I will take some pictures and document everything here. Anyone with very basic electronics skill should be able to solder this inline with the bus/12VDC. Once some decent aftermarket radio harnesses become available, this could be installed without splicing anything on the vehicle.

If there's enough demand, and I have the time, I might be willing to spend some time building a few others.

Stay tuned!
Sponsored

MACCTM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Honda Fury motorcycle, Infiniti QX30
Like most of you, I loathe the auto start/stop "feature". I don't care what the research says, I don't care about "high-performance starters", there's no way I'm going to be convinced that stopping and starting all day long in traffic isn't harder on the powertrain than if it wasn't happening. I'm also not a fan of pulling hood-pins, or riding around with my seatbelt off just to "fool" the Jeep into thinking everything's A-OK.

I'm an electronics engineer, and while CANBUS architecture is by no means my strong point, I was able to design a little MCU that I interfaced with the bus behind the radio in my JLUR. Basically, it just sits idle, constantly monitoring the bus for the HEX string that indicates the transmission has been shifted into any forward gear (haven't checked this on a manual, but the theory should apply). Once that string is detected, the controller issues the HEX string to disable auto start/stop just as if the button had been physically pressed. This condition is saved until the ignition power cycles, at which time the sequence simply begins again, or if the "feature" is manually reactivated by pressing the button on the dash.

This is all currently in a tidy little jumble in my passenger seat, but since I got it working this last Friday, it's been flawless. Total power draw is less than 10ma, so standby battery draw is pretty nominal.

Once I get everything mounted up in an enclosure (having one fabricated as we speak) I will take some pictures and document everything here. Anyone with very basic electronics skill should be able to solder this inline with the bus/12VDC. Once some decent aftermarket radio harnesses become available, this could be installed without splicing anything on the vehicle.

If there's enough demand, and I have the time, I might be willing to spend some time building a few others.

Stay tuned!
Look at the big brain on Brad!

Xingpao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I was hoping to purchase a titanium robot hand that will press the button for me Cousin It style when I crank her up.

Tbackus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I'd be down for one... Hell even instructions and a parts list I'd be ok with. Glad someone figured out something along these lines!!

VRdiddy

First Name
Vlad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Yes Please!! The auto start stop is the worst thing ever!! At least for me I hate it. I know it’s not a Jeep thing and all new cars have it I wish they would allow you to have the option setting it in off with out having to press it every time you start the car.

Sponsored

nova99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5 50i Black Sapphire, 2019 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 Duramax Ebony Twilight, 2018 JLUR Bright White
We can all thank Obama and the insidious EPA for this nonsense. This auto start/stop shit that cannot be disabled permanently or programmed off as a default is an obamanation!!!

Bmore300

First Name
kahl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep JKUR
Lol. Definition of first world problems/ obamanation etc but i definitely appreciate the ingenuity it took to build this.

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
It shouldn’t be there in the first place. It should be on taxis and leased cars. Not a car I’m gonna buy and have for ten years.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I clicked "ESS off" on my Tazer JL dash menu and it does exactly what the OP is describing here. So that's an option.

But, kudos for coming up with a home brew device on your own.

I still enjoy knowing that when I'm sitting in traffic there aren't dollar bills flying into the wind for no reason, but to each their own. ESS rocks if you ask me.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White

Stay tuned!
I'm impressed with your fix but as mentioned there is a device that can already turn it off and do lots of other things too.

What would impress me more is if you came up with a way to remove the second battery that the starter works off of and have it work off the normal battery instead. I dont mind ESS that much except for the fact that my 5 day old JL has a warning light telling me to have it serviced already.. nice

My biggest gripe is batteries dont last long here in the dez and I dont relish buying two of them every two years, On a related note, has anyone noticed how freaking big the battery is (the one you can see). That is going to cost of fortune to replace. lol

crazychile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK, 2018 Wrangler JLU
You people are insane, just push the button.
Ha Ha. We're stubborn.

My wife drives the JLU, but neither of us like the "ASS" feature. Old habits. If they just would have added a switch where you can set it to off once and not have to disengage it every trip....

Yeah, if truth in advertising were real, they would have had to call it ASS.

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
With the 8 speed auto you have 100% control the auto start/stop by how much pressure you hold on the brake peddle after you come to a complete stop, easy solution.
Sponsored