FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So I have never personally owned a start-stop vehicle (start-stop may not be the right term...basically when you stop at a light the thing just cuts off the engine and starts again when you let off the brake). I travel for work a lot and this is huge in Europe, and has caught on here in the states over the last what...year or two maybe?

Does it really improve fuel economy that much to warrant the wear and tear on the motor? I am no gear head, will never claim to be, regardless of it being designed that way....but starting and stopping an engine all the time cant necessarily be good for the components involved right? Starter, flywheel, battery especially....I will chock it up to me being uneducated on the tech but I plan on keeping that junk turned off (I got a manual though so I think its not applicable anyways)
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
According to owner's manual, Stop/Start System is included on manual transmission also.

I have not read all the recent press reviews.

Did the manual test vehicles have Stop/Start?

Fortunately there is a button on the dash so it can be turned off, but you have to press it every time you start the engine with the ignition switch until there is a workaround released by aftermarket.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, it's applicable, ESS is slated for the manual too. I agree that given standard systems it's likely to add wear and tear. Things like flywheel teeth and starter solenoid, heating and cooling of turbos, etc.

Once again, if I had the keys to the kingdom, the start/stop system would be like a golf cart, where the engine shuts down at stops while in gear. Simply hit the gas to propel the vehicle forward electrically, while simultaneously restarting the combustion engine after it hits a certain speed, say 5 mph. On a manual it'd be great for traffic and hill starts, because you wouldn't use the clutch. For rock crawling, if the electric motor was good, it'd be the same way, no clutch and instant torque from zero RPM.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FCrackerJLRubi

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, it's applicable, ESS is slated for the manual too. I agree that given standard systems it's likely to add wear and tear. Things like flywheel teeth and starter solenoid, heating and cooling of turbos.

Once again, if I had the keys to the kingdom, the start/stop system would be like a golf cart, where the engine shuts down at stops, but hitting the gas propels the vehicle forward electrically, while simultaneously restarting the combustion engine. On a manual it'd be great for traffic and hill starts, because you wouldn't use the clutch. For rock crawling, if the electric motor was good, it'd be the same way, no clutch and instant torque from zero RPM.
Thats why I figured it wouldnt be in the manual, how does it start itself in gear without the clutch and not just surge forward like a kid learning how to drive a stick for the first time lol.

So it dies when you stop....(hold in the clutch i assume or shift to neutral)....let off the brake and it starts again....let the clutch out and drive the manual like normal? Any start stop vehicle I have driven has a delay in power from start to power on demand....in a manual...no thanks!

oh wait i bet the start stop is based on the clutch and not the brake

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it's based on the clutch. The motor auto restarts when you push in the clutch. When in neutral. On odd numbered days. In warm weather. And only good hair days.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Engine will not autostop when system fault is present? Why are we even worrying about this? It's a Jeep, the check engine light will always be on.

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Here you go from the owner's manual.

tt.jpg

ttt.jpg

tttt.jpg

ttttt.jpg
“Actual cabin temperatures is significantly different than temperature set on Auto HVAC”
So basically in Texas the engine isn’t stopping until the Jeep has been warmed up and on for a while :cwl:

Zulu Alpha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, Porsche Macan, Toyota FJ40
We have this feature in my Wife’s Macan, during one of the routine services I asked the tech if it could be disabled and he managed to program it to last setting; Meaning, if I leave it in the off position it will stay that way even when I turn the car on. I’m inclined to think your Jeep dealer can do the same.

whatroads

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500 QC 4x4, 2012 Wangler
When traveling, for work, a couple months ago I rented a brand new Grand Cherokee with the ESS. Unless you were paying attention, you largely did not notice the ESS functions. The situation where I did notice it was when I was traveling fairly fast, (45mph), and came to a quick stop. It almost felt like the drive line was "loading up". There was a noticeable rear drive line "thunk". This was an AWD GC.

I will likely make it a habit to turn off ESS every time I start the engine. Hopefully, when they are developed, an aftermarket programmer will allow us to disable ESS once and for all

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Grand Cherokees are famous for the driveline clunk. Have been for years.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
We have ESS in our '17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and my wife and I both absolutely hate it. No other way of saying it other than it is intrusive, no matter how good it's gotten. The 2.0T start/stop with the 48V system is MUCH MUCH less intrusive by way of some of the mild hybrid tech that goes into it.

Easy enough just to get in the routine of pushing the button when we get in to disable it. In our BMW with it, at least when you disable it with the button it stays disabled until you push it again. Jeep's implementation turns ESS on after every power cycle. I *believe* there's a programmer that disables it but it has to be left plugged in or something equally silly. You can look at the WK2 forums and see what folks are doing on that front.

Three Jeep dealers in town we talked to said they have no ability to disable it through programming. Probably not that they can't, but just that they won't. It's technically messing with the emissions control which is a big no no.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
ESS tech has matured enough that it is reliable and has been in the States for several years now. I have little concern over it but since nothing is perfect there will be the occasional issue. Also I like the easy manual ESS turn off so can do that in stop-n-go traffic and off-roading.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be turning it off, unless it is smoother than I expect with the V6. The one video I saw, though, made me expect it to suck, unless I'm stuck in a long drive-through line at Hardees, or something like that.

Some of the reviews I've read on the 4, however, said it was pretty smooth. I'd be more inclined to use it if that were the case.

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
1. It sounds awful. A car at a stoplight using this system sounds like nails on a chalk board.
2. Since I will be driving a manual and rarely release the clutch at stop lights, not much to worry about.
Sponsored