Emergency, resolved

OP
OP

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Without seeing a wider angle of the whole situation it's kind of hard to tell what's going on besides being high centered. Give us pics from all angles if it's possible. I'm with the people saying wedge the spare tire somewhere. If you can get it under a tire and your lockers are engaged (assuming you got them engaged? I didn't see an update on that), it doesn't look so high centered that climbing the spare tire wouldn't be able to walk you out of it.
I had nothing to jack it from except old rotted wood. Searched for 30 minutes for anything. Spare wasn’t even close to fitting.
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Spare tire scissor jack under one side of the rear axle. It might lift the rear up enough to give it some clearance. Use the emergency brake to try to trick the brake lock differential into sending power to the tire with traction.

Seriously can’t believe the lockers aren't working. Is it in 4 low?

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
The suggestion isn't necessarily to lift the vehicle up and put the tire underneath, it's to wedge the tire as far under another one as you can, and then using low range with lockers engaged, try to drive up on top of it. Use your come along to put as much forward pressure (or reverse, depending on which is the best option for getting out) as possible after the spare is wedged in. With a bit of luck, your knobbies will grip the rubber of the spare and pull you up and on top of it.

It's a moot point though if you're already heading out to get your truck, I just hope the experience doesn't turn you off of adventuring!

OP
OP

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Spare tire scissor jack under one side of the rear axle. It might lift the rear up enough to give it some clearance. Use the emergency brake to try to trick the brake lock differential into sending power to the tire with traction.

Seriously can’t believe the lockers aren't working. Is it in 4 low?
Yeah lockers wouldn’t engage, tried everything.

shutting vehicle off and waiting a couple minutes worked though

Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Just got home, 3am here.

Jeep Wrangler JL Emergency, resolved 4D0538B6-A3BB-4651-8F30-165D2916110B
Jeep Wrangler JL Emergency, resolved 4D0538B6-A3BB-4651-8F30-165D2916110B

of course I forgot to disable 4hi in my truck and my buddy just drove it 30 miles in 4hi

thanks for suggestions. I now know how to prepare.

finally sleep
300 miles on the odometer 🤣

I like you, you’re a keeper.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I suspect the next post from @Bzinsky will be suggestions for lift and tires. 😏

That was one hell of an ordeal. Glad you are safe and lessons were learned. The Jeep community and the forum members as a whole are fucking awesome! Willingness to help any way possible speaks volumes!

emilboya

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 (Sold) & Jeep JL
Occupation
Process Engineer
Sucks that happened OP, but glad things are okay now. We all live and learn :beer:

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Congrats on getting out. This very reason is why I purchased a Taser. Had a similar issue of the Jeep taking an electronic dump 20 miles from pavement when attempting 4-lo and lockers. In my case, powering down worked, but the experience was unsettling: depending on the electronics feeling "safe" before engaging life-saving components. There are other mechanical and electrical work-arounds worth searching for in this forum too. Coming from a mostly-mechanical TJ to the overly nanny-semsored JL takes some getting used to.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Definitely owe that buddy a beer. Night wheeling is fun, and I've done my share of it, but certainly impacts depth perception and ability to judge an obstacle. Although, this would likely be a tough hang up to spot regardless.

Always good to look at "lessons learned" after a stuck, and identify the cause, what modifications would have allowed you to get through, and what equipment/knowledge it would have taken to self recover.

From what I can gather from the pics, you were turtled to the frame and had low traction at front and rear ends due to sandy/silty soil.

Of course additional frame clearance from lift/tires is one solution, real cause in this configuration is likely severe lack of traction. If that was because you were droop limited (the springs were no longer pushing down on your axles because the shocks limited extension) a possible solution is simply adding shock extended length. With no "weight" on the tires, its likely different tread itself wouldn't be the answer.

In the environment you were wheeling in, looks like the young trees and loose soil would have made it difficult even if you had a winch or used the come-a-long, you have to have a point to anchor the other end to. Some options there are sand anchors or even burying a tire. With no natural ways to shore up a tire, this is one instance where traction board could have come in handy. Another option would be to lift one end enough to get sufficient weight on the other axle to gain traction. Dangerous in my opinion, but something like a high lift could work there. Digging out the hang up would be an option, but obviously if your hung all the way across the frame and trans/tcase even a could hours of shoveling would probably not have been enough.

Sorry you had some damage, but you'll be glad you broke her in, that first dent or scratch is the worst, only gets better and the anxiety goes away after.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Kids, kids, kids-remember ANYTHING can get stuck if you try hard enough. Never go out on the trail without minimum self rescue equipment. As a Minimum, an entrenching tool, snatch strap, 8 k come along, Water and either energy bars/MRE’s or similar. Bury the spare with a “slot” dug toward the vehicle, snatch strap around the wheel, hook up come along and pull that puppy out. Not easy, not fun, but it WILL get your butt home👍. If the OP had been in the toolies with no cell service he’d still be there-with possibly disastrous results. The best trail tool you have is the one betwixt your ears-USE it! Never, ever, go off road unless you carry the gear you need for self rescue AND survival. Jeeps are a ton of fun, BUT the downside is they can get you into spots you can’t easily get out of without a Jeep. In a worst case scenario you may be 100% dependent upon yourself to extract you and/or your loved ones. Failure can be disastrous. Think and plan up front! Many decades ago I made the same mistake as the OP, my new “unstoppable” Scout got hung up WAAY out in the sticks-I was 4 miles from the closest road. Wound up having to hike out-temp in the low teens, stiff wind. NOT ANY fun. By the time I got a ride and got back home it was hours later, then I still had to locate a buddy with a 4x4 , gather gear, and go back to get my rig. Never again, I carry gear with me and realize that Anything can get stuck if you try hard enough-I avoid impossible situations, and have the means to take care of myself IF I do manage to screw up. Be safe out there, (remember, to be “old and wise” you must first be “young and stupid”, and stupid hurts,)

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

this is the reason i put my lockers on a switch pro instead of having it put in with the ECU like a rubicon. My Lockers engage without issue every time no matter 4H 4L or 2H

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
this is the reason i put my lockers on a switch pro instead of having it put in with the ECU like a rubicon. My Lockers engage without issue every time no matter 4H 4L or 2H
Yeah, my Rubicon experience made me switch to a Sport. Losing lockers in the middle of a run is not cool.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Yeah, my Rubicon experience made me switch to a Sport. Losing lockers in the middle of a run is not cool.
yup, made me happy when i installed my rubi axles into my sport. i love the ability to lock the rear in 2h if needed. best route is a sport and aftermarket axles of adding the rubicon axle. less problems in the long run. Plus the LSD was really good that came with my jeep
Sponsored