Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
I was hesitant to post this but thought the potential thread might outweigh my embarrassment.

Although we spend a lot of time discussing offroad capability and focus our builds as such, truth is the majority of us spend 99% of our time on road. Would be interesting to hear about evasive driving, emergency maneuvers, or other panic situations that your Jeep has (or has not) handled well when in normal commuter mode.

I was driving back home a couple of days ago and was looking off to my left at a local marina (I like boats), the definition of distracted driving. I was probably going about 50 on a four-lane road. When I looked around, there was a work truck stopped at a red light RIGHT in front of me. It was one of those "oh shit, there's no way I'm not about to plow right into him" moments. I absolutely stood on the brakes. ABS was doing it's thing, but I was still closing too fast. At the last second steered to the left and couldn't have missed his back bumper by more than a few inches. Ended up in the turn lane right next to him. He turned to me and just nodded, so I don't think he had any idea of what just happened.

Anyway, the point is that although I had to go home and change my shorts, I was also impressed at how the Jeep with a minimal lift and 37"s just handled an emergency stop and steering while maintaining control.

Interested to hear of other similar situations and the outcome.
Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Good to hear the ABS was engaging with 37ā€™s. I donā€™t think my previous JK would lock up the front with 37ā€™s. Your brakes still stock?

OP
OP
Buckster

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Y
Good to hear the ABS was engaging with 37ā€™s. I donā€™t think my previous JK would lock up the front with 37ā€™s. Your brakes still stock?
Yup, still stock.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Many moons ago I was headed across Alabama on I-20 in the fast lane at about 75 mph when a tractor trailer decided to come into the lane and join mešŸ˜³. Given the option of having him hit me or taking the median, I took the median. My ā€™98 TJ took some serious bounces, BUT remained under control until I got it slowed enough to re enter the road. My buddy and I were pretty shaken up but Ok thanks to me JeepšŸ‘

Last edited:

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
This was back in a YJ but one time I was driving down an interstate and this ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL, big, muscular 8-point buck leapt right in front of me out of nowhere. I remember it well because everything went slow motion as he was bounding straight into my grille. I avoided him by swerving into the median, which the Jeep handled fairly well. Dove down into the ditch, turned as I was going up the other side and popped back onto the highway.

The kicker, I was pulled over within a half mile. Cop saw my headlights bouncing all over the place in the distance and thought I was joy riding. Instead he found someone still in shock barely able to explain what happened.

Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
OP, you wouldnā€™t believe the advert that was served up with your post so I am providing concrete evidence.

You may have been distracted while driving but JL Wranglerforums is providing distraction while posting.

BTW I like big boats and I cannot lie. Apologies to Sir Mix-a-Lot.

AEDABDCC-49C8-4841-A8F2-A92E72D676B8.png

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If you have a 4-door, good shocks and a slightly wider track (from wheels with less back space), and you are sensible, the JL actually handles evasive maneuvers, rather well for what it is - a high C.G. vehicle with solid axles.

But you have to be realistic. Swerving aggressively at higher speeds will not usually end well in these vehicles. In some situations it may be preferable to hit something head on and let the crash structure, airbags and seatbelts do their thing, than trying to swerve and ending up in a roll-over.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Swerving aggressively at higher speeds will not usually end well in these vehicles.

In some situations it may be preferable to hit something head on and let the crash structure, airbags and seatbelts do their thing, than trying to swerve and ending up in a roll-over.
If those situations are limited to potential collisions with static fixtures, like a tree or a jersey barrier, I agree.

If a roll-over, etc. is the possible outcome of one's effort to avoid hitting an innocent party, as a consequence of one's own distracted driving, then execute the swerve and risk the roll-over.

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
The best offensive maneuver is understanding physics. Speed limit or less equates to lower energy thereby increasing your odds of making it home. Look at people's head, if it is pointed down that means they want to kill you and don't care if you make it home alive. Driving is not a solo sport.

And that is just it, I avoided lots of collisions in my area just by looking at the opposing driver's head. If down, I slow down and veer to the shoulder. Never speed, too many people that want to kill you.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
The best offensive maneuver is understanding physics. Speed limit or less equates to lower energy thereby increasing your odds of making it home. Look at people's head, if it is pointed down that means they want to kill you and don't care if you make it home alive. Driving is not a solo sport.

And that is just it, I avoided lots of collisions in my area just by looking at the opposing driver's head. If down, I slow down and veer to the shoulder. Never speed, too many people that want to kill you.
The OP admitted his driving sin, I believe that he was commenting on the incredible performance of the vehicle. Who hasn't been a little distracted and surprised before. Nobody is a perfect driver, but how the vehicle responds to emergency maneuvers is important. Often people overlook proper maintenance which is important to how the vehicle responds to situations like this.

Sponsored

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
The OP admitted his driving sin, I believe that he was commenting on the incredible performance of the vehicle. Who hasn't been a little distracted and surprised before. Nobody is a perfect driver, but how the vehicle responds to emergency maneuvers is important. Often people overlook proper maintenance which is important to how the vehicle responds to situations like this.
My statement is from a position of a lifted jeep with 37's. If anyone suggests it drives great and not like a mule is smoking.

I understand the OP's post. I am just saying I dislike these type of drivers and always am on guard.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Iā€™ve been a motorcyclist for many,many years. One of the best pieces of advice Iā€™ve ever received was ā€œRemember that every driver in every car is a homicidal maniac out to kill you. The only reason they havenā€™t is because they dont see you. Ride accordinglyā€. Pretty much applies to riding/driving ANYTHING today. Way too many folks playing with electronics instead of actually driving their vehicleā€¦

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Two weeks ago, a car swerved to avoid another car in the oncoming lanes and plowed right into the car in front of me. We were on a road with a 45mph speed limit and I was going 40. I was able to maneuver and not hit anything. It was close but the Jeep did fine. On the other hand when I finished up the 1983 Jeep that got a complete brand new OEM suspension (the guy wants it period correct), there's no way that thing would have done what mine did. First and foremost, the brakes are not good at all and it takes way too much steering input. Even driving it around a parking lot, you seem to be turning the wheel way to many times just do do the same maneuver as a new Jeep.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If those situations are limited to potential collisions with static fixtures, like a tree or a jersey barrier, I agree.

If a roll-over, etc. is the possible outcome of one's effort to avoid hitting an innocent party, as a consequence of one's own distracted driving, then execute the swerve and risk the roll-over.
Sadly, these things are not subject to that much "analysis and evaluation" prior to acting. We are talking about split second reflexive reaction time here.

You either have the muscle reflex to stop mostly straight ahead at maximum braking, or you have the reflex to swerve.

When you swerve at high speeds on these vehicles you typically lose complete control of the outcome. To use your example, you may avoid that innocent party in your path, but swerve onto oncoming traffic (upright or rolling over) and cause a much more serious multi-vehicle accident, with potentially multiple victims.

If you pre-program yourself to swerve, you will do so even when something (e.g. bad driver) gets into your path. Now, you avoid the guilty party, and send your vehicle out of control into innocent people. Guess who will now have all the moral and legal liability for the resulting injuries.

Don't swerve your Jeeps are high speed people. Nothing good comes out of it in most situation.

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door, 2011 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
System Administrator
I was driving down Biscayne Blvd in my YJ and rather well built latina woman began to run across the street bouncing in all her glory. Needless to say, I landed on the back of the taxi in front of me.
Sponsored