Emergency question

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I had to replace mine on the front left. The tire rubbed a hole in the liner. When I installed the new liner, I used a wire tie to keep it next to the frame. It has been good now for 2 years.

Jeep knows about this issue. What I don't know is why they don't take corrective action. It is a very simple fix.
Management must think Jeeperā€™s are just a bunch of redneck mechanics that use zip ties and wire parts together. :facepalm: Uh, for an ~ $50 - 100K Jeep
Any genuine redneck mechanic knows zip ties are temporary, wire is permanent temporary.
You made the right choice šŸ˜

Last edited:

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I appreciate the advice and may cut them out. The big question though is if I donā€™t will it damage my tire at all?
No, it shouldn't. My front drivers side was loose and rubbed for many, many miles because I was lazy. No tire damage and it wore down he plastic on the fender liner

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

Iā€™m on my way to camp in Death Valley for five days. The winds are whipping here up to 70mph. While driving from LA the wind was getting under my jeep and pushing the plastic wheel well piece, between the engine and the wheel, into my tire. I could hear it happening. Can this do any real damage??? I donā€™t want to get stuck in Death Valley with a flat because I ignored the issue. Or is it just noise? (After today Iā€™ll lose cell service so Iā€™m sorry if I donā€™t respond.)
Glad you stayed on the road... had to slow down more than once on 14 when it felt like I'd be blown over.
Not quite on subject: I keep a Garmin inReach with me for remote locations (maybe you have one already).

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Iā€™m on my way to camp in Death Valley for five days. The winds are whipping here up to 70mph. While driving from LA the wind was getting under my jeep and pushing the plastic wheel well piece, between the engine and the wheel, into my tire. I could hear it happening. Can this do any real damage??? I donā€™t want to get stuck in Death Valley with a flat because I ignored the issue. Or is it just noise? (After today Iā€™ll lose cell service so Iā€™m sorry if I donā€™t respond.)
I like going to Death Valley, lots of fun, I am usually there 1-3 weeks. You will enjoy it.

All three times I have been to DV, its RAINED!

This was a 2 or 3 week run...

Jeep Wrangler JL Emergency question 01042008349

Sponsored

Trav73

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLUR
Same thing happened to me going through Nevada from Utah. Pulled off at the Bonneville Salt Flats and used a box knife to cut the damaged section off. Later replaced both sides with these from Amazon, can't find any aluminum inner fender liners I really like just yet. Amazon.com: Front Inner Fender Liner Set Compatible with 2018-2022 Jeep Wrangler : Automotive

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

My diesel did that twice to my two front liners. What I learned was that they had two different thickness of wheel liners. I'm not sure what determines which ones you get but my 21 diesel had very thin ones. I noticed that the 392 ones where much thicker. Finally on the third warranty replacement I got the thicker ones and haven't had an issue since.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My diesel did that twice to my two front liners. What I learned was that they had two different thickness of wheel liners. I'm not sure what determines which ones you get but my 21 diesel had very thin ones. I noticed that the 392 ones where much thicker. Finally on the third warranty replacement I got the thicker ones and haven't had an issue since.
It would be interesting to know what models get which ones and why if anyone knowsā€¦. So we would know.

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

It would be interesting to know what models get which ones and why if anyone knows.
I know right! My buddy who also has a diesel had the same issue. Obviously everyone knows how helpful the dealership is but I brought it to their attention the first time around and asked for the thicker ones and obviously they were either clueless or just didn't care because I got the same thing ones again until the second time around. Who knows maybe now they realized the prob and all new jeeps get the thicker ones.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know right! My buddy who also has a diesel had the same issue. Obviously everyone knows how helpful the dealership is but I brought it to their attention the first time around and asked for the thicker ones and obviously they were either clueless or just didn't care because I got the same thing ones again until the second time around. Who knows maybe now they realized the prob and all new jeeps get the thicker ones.
Exactly- I have a 21 392, when I read your report it sounded good, but, are they model specific, or an upgrade at a certain point ? If they were an upgrade you would think the part # would be superseded by the thicker ones, but they are good at not doing it until existing stock is used, so still ?

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I appreciate the advice and may cut them out. The big question though is if I donā€™t will it damage my tire at all?
if your tires are weak enough to be damaged by flimsy plastic you definitely shouldnt go to Death Valley and should head right to the tire shop!

the plastic inners will just rub away into a dust oblivion over time.