Emergency, resolved

OP
OP

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Time for a Winch and Tazer so you can use the lockers in 2wd/4Hi as well! And the Winch to get you out of a sticky situation! I would also consider a good 30' pull strap as well!
I had a 20ft pull strap. I figured with that and the come along I could get out of anything with enough effort.

There was a couple problems with doing that though that I didn’t realize.

the length is not adjustable, so I either had to double it up or go single length. Combine that with the fact that my come along only had 5 ft of movement.

I couldn’t wrap the come-along cable around the tree and then wrap the recovery strap on the jeep because it was just going through the tree. Also the ends of the recovery strap were thick as hell, so I couldn’t even run it through the wheels. I couldn’t even put both ends of the recovery strap into the come along hook. Barely would fit one. It sucked a lot.

After trying all these different options, the only tree that I could hook do was right in front of the jeep, which would mean it would have to drag the jeep up and over the hi center, and the come along wasn’t powerful enough. I had even hoped the stretch in the covery strap would give me like 3k lbs of forward pull letting me drive the jeep, but that doesn’t do squat when high centered.

Wish I had d-rings and a tree saver strap, or another vehicle.
Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
OP, glad you are out and had fun.

I'm still confused as to what the issue was.

Was the issue that you could not get the Jeep into 4LO (and thus couldn't use the lockers)? Or you got it into 4LO but lockers still didn't engage? Or locker engaged but still couldn't get you out?

OP
OP

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
OP, glad you are out and had fun.

I'm still confused as to what the issue was.

Was the issue that you could not get the Jeep into 4LO (and thus couldn't use the lockers)? Or you got it into 4LO but lockers still didn't engage? Or locker engaged but still couldn't get you out?
4 lo was no problem, lockers would not engage, kept saying “lockers only engage in 4low” I was 100% in 4 lo and engaged lockere multiple times right before hand.

I tried moving the wheels a little thinking that would help, but it didn’t. I shut the jeep off for a couple minutes. Turned jeep back on, they engaged immediately. But they didn’t get me out unfortunately.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
where's the dog? :) BTW, do people really complain about dogs and kids in pictures?
Dog's on a beer run, not even 21 in dog years. Local news horrified.

Duck Dodgers

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door
I’m a little dissapointed that the jeep community didn’t warn me that drinking and off-roading would be such hilarious fun. Never drinking and off-roading again.
I don’t call people whom I’ve never met or talked to in person a “liar” it’s outright rude.

I’m thinking this may be the exception.

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
4 lo was no problem, lockers would not engage, kept saying “lockers only engage in 4low” I was 100% in 4 lo and engaged lockere multiple times right before hand.

I tried moving the wheels a little thinking that would help, but it didn’t. I shut the jeep off for a couple minutes. Turned jeep back on, they engaged immediately. But they didn’t get me out unfortunately.
Thanks for explaining. On new JL's first few times engaging 4LO can be a bit on the hard side. Same for the lockers. I found out that after you engage/disengage a few times, the actuation is actually much faster than on the JKs. But sometimes with one wheel already spinning freely it can be tricky. Light pressure on the brakes while you give it gas often does the trick.

OP
OP

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Thanks for explaining. On new JL's first few times engaging 4LO can be a bit on the hard side. Same for the lockers. I found out that after you engage/disengage a few times, the actuation is actually much faster than on the JKs. But sometimes with one wheel already spinning freely it can be tricky. Light pressure on the brakes while you give it gas often does the trick.
I had activating the lockers several times before that. I had no problems engaging 4 lo. The jeep just refused to activate the lockers. It was a canbus/computer glitch, not a mechanical or user error problem. Because it worked right away after I restarted the car.

Unless you’re saying the “glitch” can be fixed by applying a little brake pressure to get the other side of the diffs moving a little.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I had activating the lockers several times before that. I had no problems engaging 4 lo. The jeep just refused to activate the lockers. It was a canbus/computer glitch, not a mechanical or user error problem. Because it worked right away after I restarted the car.

Unless you’re saying the “glitch” can be fixed by applying a little brake pressure to get the other side of the diffs moving a little.
Gotcha you. Wasn't at all implying that would have helped in your case. I was just posting in case future owners search for and find this thread.

On a side note. I too had CAN bus issues on my JL.. It got worse over time. There are a few threads and posts on what to check (several connectors and harnesses) to identify the cause. Most of these problems are intermittent and dealers don't always spend the detective time required to find the true cause.

Enjoy the Jeep after the opening festivities you just had.
Sponsored