Sponsored

Does anyone adjust headlights after lift?

rawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my lift on for about a month now. 2.5" Metalcloak True Dual Rate (amazing), and I have noticed a lot of people flashing their bright's at me as if I have my high beams on. Thinking about it, it makes sense, I gained 4.5" with the lift and another 1.5" from my tires, so the headlights should be out of alignment to some degree.

I don't recall reading about that anywhere, has anyone experienced the same or actually re-aimed their lights post lift and tires?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
Yes, you would be wise to adjust them. The main thing with lifts, they take the rake out of the front, so the Jeep is sitting level. Therefore people do think you have your high beams on.

I haven't looked at the JL, but the JK had 1 screw to adjust the headlights. It was like a T-15, if I remember correctly. You line them up to a flat wall, set your Jeep back about 25 feet. measure the height of the headlight then tape that measurement on the wall. Turn screw so headlights go down, I like about 2" below level. This way your hi-beams are not into the sky. Then you should be good to go.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
I tweaked mine after swapping to LED bulbs. It is ridiculously easy to do (the adjusting part - swapping the bulbs was a bit more work).

Sponsored

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Yes, I checked my lights, as well. I think it’s accepted as standard practice by most.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing worth noting. My headlights are now about 7" higher than a stock Rubi. I have mine adjusted just high enough to light up enough road out ahead that's needed, while on a flat stretch. There's nothing I can do to prevent blinding others when I'm cresting any kind of a high spot on a roadway, but I make it a point to not pull right up behind a lower vehicle at a stop light. I flood side view mirrors within 20ish feet and can get in their rear view of i pull all the way up. It's the smell of burning hair coming out of the car in front of me that fully confirmed just how bright the Mopar led headlights really are. I'll also kill the headlights leaving the halos, fenders, and fogs on if I'm first in line at a red light at one of those bigger intersections that are humped up to cross. Why just sit there with my headlight cutoff well over the roof line of the cars waiting on the other side.

Tiger1

First Name
Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, 2016 BMW 435

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Very helpful Rhinebeck01, thanks. I'm in a stock Sahara but get flashed by oncoming drivers nearly every night I'm driving with the low beams on.
@Tiger

Hint.... with 2 small colored Sharpie marks/dots, mark on each adjuster. Mark your stock adjustment / factory adjustment. This way you have lets say a starting point to use if you ever need it..

Example, you go back to stock tires, you get the adjustments way out of wack, you adjust only when you are towing that frigging trailer.....
........with any of the aforementioned, you can then get back to the stock adjustment quickly thanks to your Sharpie marks.
Sponsored

Last edited: