Lance
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Team Lead, Information Technology
The funny thing is when I drive my wife's 2016 200 I keep wondering why it hasn't shut down. ESS wasn't available with the 2.4L.

Advertisement

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I'm in the group that's not bothered by it. But, I've also been driving an F-150 with ESS for several years so it wasn't a new thing for me. I will admit that, when I bought the Ford, one of the first things that I did was to search the internet for a method to permanently disable the ESS. I wasn't successful and, over time, it became a non issue to me.

Later,
Johnny

Billy goat

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl sport. Ford Focus st
Vehicle Showcase
I have a manual transmission and it works really well but, no I just don’t like the ess. I have it disabled with the tazer.
my main issue is the AZ heat. It’s hot here. Oppressively hot, and when the ess kicks in the A/C kicks off. Not good for hot climates.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
honestly there isn't any time delay, it starts the engine back up just as fast as you move your foot from the brake pedal to gas pedal so that's just a cowpie excuse, and if you think theres a delay just ease up on the brake pedal, mine fires right back up as soon as I ease up and is started before I push the gas.
I've wondered if the people that complain about the delay are two feet drivers with their left foot on the brake and right foot on the accelerator.

Later,
Johnny

1quick1

Staff member
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I almost always turn it off but will enable it if I know I'll be at a light for a bit. So I guess I'm a bit neutral on whether I like it or not.

Billy goat

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl sport. Ford Focus st
Vehicle Showcase
I've wondered if the people that complain about the delay are two feet drivers with their left foot on the brake and right foot on the accelerator.

Later,
Johnny
I’m a 3 foot driver ( manual ) and the system is super instantaneous. As soon as you touch the clutch the engine starts Obviously I don’t have an auto but I can’t imagine there is much of a delay going on.

MeanMrWolf

First Name
Lance
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Team Lead, Information Technology
I’m a 3 foot driver ( manual ) and the system is super instantaneous. As soon as you touch the clutch the engine starts Obviously I don’t have an auto but I can’t imagine there is much of a delay going on.
Basically, Zero delay, lift your foot from the brake and the engine reengages. Way soother than the KL, where the Auto had to reengage the dog clutch on 1/2. If you flat-footed the accelerator right away, it could lurch significantly.

Billy goat

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl sport. Ford Focus st
Vehicle Showcase
Basically, Zero delay, lift your foot from the brake and the engine reengages. Way soother than the KL, where the Auto had to reengage the dog clutch on 1/2. If you flat-footed the accelerator right away, it could lurch significantly.
That’s what I figured. The system seems to be on par with every other platform out there. Personally I just don’t like it because the A/C obviously doesn’t work when it’s shut down. In the winter I use it. It saves a smidge of fuel.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I always thought I would like the ESS on the manual better, but the one time I got to drive a manual JT, the battery was low so ESS didn't kick in before I made it back to the dealer. would have been nice to get a feel for it.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T, 2013 Ram Longhorn 2500, 2008 JK Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Doesn’t seem that important with all of the shit going on right now!

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
I would prefer, that if the vehicle comes to an autostop, and shifted into park that the engine should remain off. If the door is opened and the key departs the vehicle, it should treat that as a total ignition shutdown since its a pushbutton system.
I’m with you and learned to “fool it” from these forums. My driveway is an incline, so if I’m not fast enough shifting to park once I pull in the garage, the ESS shuts the engine off and then right back on again which was soooooooo frustrating. And I know I can turn it off with the button...

So what you do is let the ESS shut off, then you take off your seatbelt and open the door, with your foot in the brake. The dash starts blinking and singing, but the engine doesn’t restart. And then you shift to park (With your foot still on the brake) and finally hit the stop/start button (after taking your foot off the brake or it will restart) and get out!

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 Kawasaki Z900, 2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Gonna throw my .02 $ in here.

From an engineering stand point, it is a good thing by stopping the moving parts of the engine while idle. But this is only significant if you idle at longer periods say over 30-45 seconds. (suck squeeze bang blow) O2 is the primary fuel and the little mist of gasoline is to make the bang react in the controlled environment. anecdote - use 92/93 or higher octane (per the service manual) which makes the combustion process slower reducing the chance of engine knock.

Then that leads to the (ees) restart and it splits from Manual vs Auto on re-engaging the drive-train which will increase the Karen's behind you that cant wait the 1.2489-1.73418 seconds to engage and go 'safely' ++ without dropping the clutch :LOL:.

For my personal location the lights are quite short and a shat ton of round-a-bouts (average 20 PMG city and 23 highway (I think there is another thread dedicated to this) , additionally I have the V6 and my work around was to disable the dinging from the seat belt not being plugged in and yes i drive with out it cuz fuck the gov revenue generating road pirates, ill be the master of my own destiny so go get some good window tint and roll on cuz you shore aint buyin' no jeep for the fuel economy:rock:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I hate it I hate it I hate it I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT!!!!

1.gif

2.gif

3.gif

4.gif

Nuff' said
Don't be afraid to tell us how you really feel, just let it out. :CWL:

Advertisement

Advertisement