Does anyone actually like start-stop

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
I have not read through this entire post, so perhaps someone has already noted this, but turning the engine off at stops is very helpful to people with respiratory problems that are in the proximity of the vehicle (think kids with asthma). I have asthma myself, and exhaust fumes trigger it every time.

I'd like to think that the minor inconvenience (if any) that ESS poses to drivers seems a small price to pay to reduce air contaminants that harm others. But I get that we live in a time when concern for others in the face of inconvenience to self is often not a priority, unfortunately.

Advertisement

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I have not read through this entire post, so perhaps someone has already noted this, but turning the engine off at stops is very helpful to people with respiratory problems that are in the proximity of the vehicle (think kids with asthma). I have asthma myself, and exhaust fumes trigger it every time.

I'd like to think that the minor inconvenience (if any) that ESS poses to drivers seems a small price to pay to reduce air contaminants that harm others. But I get that we live in a time when concern for others in the face of inconvenience to self is often not a priority, unfortunately.
Agreed. It can be pretty nice for us asthmatics.

MrMischief

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I’m fine with it, however I disable it when off roading
Doesn't it auto disable when you're in 4 low? I'm pretty sure that it does.

I actually get annoyed when my ESS doesn't shut the engine off The noise of the starter irritated me a bit when I first got it, but I've gotten used to it. Maybe it's because I primarily drive a Prius but sitting a light or in a drive thru with the noise and vibrations of an engine now feels wrong to me. When I'm at a light and the engine is still running I find myself looking at the gauge to figure out why. I've been known to turn off the HVAC system at lights just to get the engine to turn off. I almost never disable ESS, but I'm glad there is a physical button to do so. My issue with the start stop all revolves around the little battery and what kind of problems it might give me in the future. But otherwise, yeah I'm fine with ESS. I do wish it was smoother like a BSG, but for a Jeep I'm not a fan of the large battery underneath (not to mention reliability concerns, this is FCA we're talking about).

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't it auto disable when you're in 4 low? I'm pretty sure that it does.

I actually get annoyed when my ESS doesn't shut the engine off The noise of the starter irritated me a bit when I first got it, but I've gotten used to it. Maybe it's because I primarily drive a Prius but sitting a light or in a drive thru with the noise and vibrations of an engine now feels wrong to me. When I'm at a light and the engine is still running I find myself looking at the gauge to figure out why. I've been known to turn off the HVAC system at lights just to get the engine to turn off. I almost never disable ESS, but I'm glad there is a physical button to do so. My issue with the start stop all revolves around the little battery and what kind of problems it might give me in the future. But otherwise, yeah I'm fine with ESS. I do wish it was smoother like a BSG, but for a Jeep I'm not a fan of the large battery underneath (not to mention reliability concerns, this is FCA we're talking about).
The ESS is still active in 4HI so it can be annoying on a trail ride. But its just easy to hit the button.

MrMischief

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The ESS is still active in 4HI so it can be annoying on a trail ride. But its just easy to hit the button.
ahh... yeah I rarely use 4HI on trails. If I go fast enough I need hi range I use 2wd, if I need 4 wheel drive I prefer the control of 4 low. Also; it seemed to me that a lot of JKs burned down due to overheated transmissions. This is my first automatic Jeep and those fires are always in the back of my mind.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2000 TJ, 2019 Kl, 2020 JT, 2018 BU
IF the battery was easily accessible, and IF it had a *!#%@*&%^&%&*ing persistent "OFF" setting, I'd only hate it for the worthless, troublesome, expensive imposition that it is.
Even if those conditions existed, the issues related to electrically dissimilar batteries in parallel would still exit. Batteries in parallel are like siblings, identical twins will get along, not so much for anything else.

Last edited:

MeanMrWolf

First Name
Lance
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Team Lead, Information Technology
I've had ESS since my '16 KL and have no issues with it. Collectively, it helps reduce the fleet's carbon impact, saves me a little bit on gas, and as pointed out, reduces local particulate emissions. The ESS in the JL feels much smoother than that in my old KL and seems more consistent. I wish all of the models had the BSG, though.

People complain about it cutting back in when parking, but frankly, I'd love to hear how you'd create the logic to allow the vehicle to decide when you're parking, or when you've just stopped at a light. Damn near impossible without some crazy expensive sensors and lots of training.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've had ESS since my '16 KL and have no issues with it. Collectively, it helps reduce the fleet's carbon impact, saves me a little bit on gas, and as pointed out, reduces local particulate emissions. The ESS in the JL feels much smoother than that in my old KL and seems more consistent. I wish all of the models had the BSG, though.

People complain about it cutting back in when parking, but frankly, I'd love to hear how you'd create the logic to allow the vehicle to decide when you're parking, or when you've just stopped at a light. Damn near impossible without some crazy expensive sensors and lots of training.
I would prefer, that if the vehicle comes to an autostop, and shifted into park that the engine should remain off. If the door is opened and the key departs the vehicle, it should treat that as a total ignition shutdown since its a pushbutton system.

txj2go

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V
I don't view it as an inconvenience but I wonder how much hardware is involved and if there is future maintenance liability. I stayed away from the 2.0Turbo for that reason. My start/stop hasn't worked since I bought the car so I don't get to even worry about it but I did experience it with a Wrangler that I test drove.

I think we should do what we reasonably can to reduce fuel usage and pollution. I cringe when I see people killing their gas mileage with 35s or 37s on their car and they never even go offroad. For that matter a Sport without ESS probably still uses less fuel than a Rubicon with ESS.

MeanMrWolf

First Name
Lance
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Team Lead, Information Technology
I would prefer, that if the vehicle comes to an autostop, and shifted into park that the engine should remain off. If the door is opened and the key departs the vehicle, it should treat that as a total ignition shutdown since its a pushbutton system.
The problem with that is the system has no clue if you're moving the transmission out of Drive to Neutral or Reverse to maneuver. I guess it could pause a second or more to determine if the transmission is being moved to Park, and not engage the start up. Then we'd have multitudes complaining that they have to "wait forever" to have the system engage Reverse or Neutral.

Last edited:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The problem with that is the system has no clue if you're moving the transmission out of Drive to Neutral or Reverse to maneuver. I guess it could pause a second or more to determine if the transmission is being moved to Park, and not. Then we'd have multitudes complaining that they have to "wait forever" to have the system engage Reverse or Neutral.
It works pretty well that way on the F-150's ESS. My only complaint with that system is how it cycles on and off multiple times on the same stop for the air conditioner.

entropy

First Name
Enrique
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport JL 2-D
I like it, it saves me some gas $. I wish my new Camry had it. I don't know what the big deal is, or why people hate it so much. I haven't had any issues with it (knock on wood).

It bothers me as much as it bothers me to wear a cloth mask while at the grocery store or going out for coffee.

The only thing that worries me about this system is long term reliability and reliability on the trail. I already had a crappy experience when my driver seat wouldn't go back to normal position after using the release system to get a passenger in the back (2-DOOR). If this would have happened in the middle of the desert or somewhere else very remote, not good.

So far however, the Wrangler JL has been good in terms of reliability, there's some people who have already passed the 100k mile on their 2018 JL's and no major issues.

MalteeseJLU

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I don't mind it at all, I am the furthest thing from a environmentalist this planet will be here far longer that the human race, but if it helps reduce my carbon foot print helping those with respiratory problems and keeps our air just a tad cleaner I'm cool with it.

And honestly there isn't any time delay, it starts the engine back up just as fast as you move your foot from the brake pedal to gas pedal so that's just a cowpie excuse, and if you think theres a delay just ease up on the brake pedal, mine fires right back up as soon as I ease up and is started before I push the gas.