litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I've had ESS since my '16 KL and have no issues with it. Collectively, it helps reduce the fleet's carbon impact, saves me a little bit on gas, and as pointed out, reduces local particulate emissions. The ESS in the JL feels much smoother than that in my old KL and seems more consistent. I wish all of the models had the BSG, though.

People complain about it cutting back in when parking, but frankly, I'd love to hear how you'd create the logic to allow the vehicle to decide when you're parking, or when you've just stopped at a light. Damn near impossible without some crazy expensive sensors and lots of training.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I've had ESS since my '16 KL and have no issues with it. Collectively, it helps reduce the fleet's carbon impact, saves me a little bit on gas, and as pointed out, reduces local particulate emissions. The ESS in the JL feels much smoother than that in my old KL and seems more consistent. I wish all of the models had the BSG, though.

People complain about it cutting back in when parking, but frankly, I'd love to hear how you'd create the logic to allow the vehicle to decide when you're parking, or when you've just stopped at a light. Damn near impossible without some crazy expensive sensors and lots of training.
I would prefer, that if the vehicle comes to an autostop, and shifted into park that the engine should remain off. If the door is opened and the key departs the vehicle, it should treat that as a total ignition shutdown since its a pushbutton system.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I'd like to think that the minor inconvenience (if any) that ESS poses to drivers seems a small price to pay to reduce air contaminants that harm others. But I get that we live in a time when concern for others in the face of inconvenience to self is often not a priority, unfortunately.
I don't view it as an inconvenience but I wonder how much hardware is involved and if there is future maintenance liability. I stayed away from the 2.0Turbo for that reason. My start/stop hasn't worked since I bought the car so I don't get to even worry about it but I did experience it with a Wrangler that I test drove.

I think we should do what we reasonably can to reduce fuel usage and pollution. I cringe when I see people killing their gas mileage with 35s or 37s on their car and they never even go offroad. For that matter a Sport without ESS probably still uses less fuel than a Rubicon with ESS.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

I would prefer, that if the vehicle comes to an autostop, and shifted into park that the engine should remain off. If the door is opened and the key departs the vehicle, it should treat that as a total ignition shutdown since its a pushbutton system.
The problem with that is the system has no clue if you're moving the transmission out of Drive to Neutral or Reverse to maneuver. I guess it could pause a second or more to determine if the transmission is being moved to Park, and not engage the start up. Then we'd have multitudes complaining that they have to "wait forever" to have the system engage Reverse or Neutral.

Last edited:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
The problem with that is the system has no clue if you're moving the transmission out of Drive to Neutral or Reverse to maneuver. I guess it could pause a second or more to determine if the transmission is being moved to Park, and not. Then we'd have multitudes complaining that they have to "wait forever" to have the system engage Reverse or Neutral.
It works pretty well that way on the F-150's ESS. My only complaint with that system is how it cycles on and off multiple times on the same stop for the air conditioner.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I like it, it saves me some gas $. I wish my new Camry had it. I don't know what the big deal is, or why people hate it so much. I haven't had any issues with it (knock on wood).

It bothers me as much as it bothers me to wear a cloth mask while at the grocery store or going out for coffee.

The only thing that worries me about this system is long term reliability and reliability on the trail. I already had a crappy experience when my driver seat wouldn't go back to normal position after using the release system to get a passenger in the back (2-DOOR). If this would have happened in the middle of the desert or somewhere else very remote, not good.

So far however, the Wrangler JL has been good in terms of reliability, there's some people who have already passed the 100k mile on their 2018 JL's and no major issues.

MalteeseJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I don't mind it at all, I am the furthest thing from a environmentalist this planet will be here far longer that the human race, but if it helps reduce my carbon foot print helping those with respiratory problems and keeps our air just a tad cleaner I'm cool with it.

And honestly there isn't any time delay, it starts the engine back up just as fast as you move your foot from the brake pedal to gas pedal so that's just a cowpie excuse, and if you think theres a delay just ease up on the brake pedal, mine fires right back up as soon as I ease up and is started before I push the gas.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

The funny thing is when I drive my wife's 2016 200 I keep wondering why it hasn't shut down. ESS wasn't available with the 2.4L.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I'm in the group that's not bothered by it. But, I've also been driving an F-150 with ESS for several years so it wasn't a new thing for me. I will admit that, when I bought the Ford, one of the first things that I did was to search the internet for a method to permanently disable the ESS. I wasn't successful and, over time, it became a non issue to me.

Later,
Johnny

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have a manual transmission and it works really well but, no I just don’t like the ess. I have it disabled with the tazer.
my main issue is the AZ heat. It’s hot here. Oppressively hot, and when the ess kicks in the A/C kicks off. Not good for hot climates.

Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
honestly there isn't any time delay, it starts the engine back up just as fast as you move your foot from the brake pedal to gas pedal so that's just a cowpie excuse, and if you think theres a delay just ease up on the brake pedal, mine fires right back up as soon as I ease up and is started before I push the gas.
I've wondered if the people that complain about the delay are two feet drivers with their left foot on the brake and right foot on the accelerator.

Later,
Johnny

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I almost always turn it off but will enable it if I know I'll be at a light for a bit. So I guess I'm a bit neutral on whether I like it or not.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've wondered if the people that complain about the delay are two feet drivers with their left foot on the brake and right foot on the accelerator.

Later,
Johnny
I’m a 3 foot driver ( manual ) and the system is super instantaneous. As soon as you touch the clutch the engine starts Obviously I don’t have an auto but I can’t imagine there is much of a delay going on.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

I’m a 3 foot driver ( manual ) and the system is super instantaneous. As soon as you touch the clutch the engine starts Obviously I don’t have an auto but I can’t imagine there is much of a delay going on.
Basically, Zero delay, lift your foot from the brake and the engine reengages. Way soother than the KL, where the Auto had to reengage the dog clutch on 1/2. If you flat-footed the accelerator right away, it could lurch significantly.
Sponsored