Sponsored

Does anyone actually fold the windscreen down? I don't get it...

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

mine didnt come with any straps. did come with a soft top though
Sponsored

rodhotter

First Name
bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 chevy colorado 2001 audi TT 225Q
much like a motorcycle, enjoying the fresh air experience! waiting + hoping for a 2 door version of the pickup.

noreserve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1999 TJ Sport
I folded the windshield down for the first time last week. It did make it easier to install the 67 Designs rail with it down - good excuse I said. I don't like how it blocks the view of the hood. I really like being able to see the Jeep hood. I may give it another try sometime off-road, but I have my doubts that the open air experience for me will outweigh the blocked view. Give Jeep credit for having the option though. I will say that it is worlds better than the TJ since it lacked any structural member once it was folded and the bars from each side just dangled with no A-pillar to support them. The JL looks much better folded, but that's relative. Still looks like someone left the oven door open.

Sponsored

ArchAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I folded the windshield down for the first time last week. It did make it easier to install the 67 Designs rail with it down - good excuse I said. I don't like how it blocks the view of the hood. I really like being able to see the Jeep hood. I may give it another try sometime off-road, but I have my doubts that the open air experience for me will outweigh the blocked view. Give Jeep credit for having the option though. I will say that it is worlds better than the TJ since it lacked any structural member once it was folded and the bars from each side just dangled with no A-pillar to support them. The JL looks much better folded, but that's relative. Still looks like someone left the oven door open.
Yes. Two more bolts and it comes off completely. Problems solved.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

It’s nice when taking a lot of pictures. Esp b/c the windshield is going to be covered in bugs.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I've taken it off. It's just too more bolts to completely remove it for wheeling. Much better for photography, being a photographer....

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Windshield down on the JL looks extra 'tarded, and a total afterthought. I get the whole heritage thing but this is one feature that could go away and I wouldn't miss it.
Geez you must be fun at parties. How is a feature that's been on Jeeps since it's inception an "afterthought"?

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I will say that it is worlds better than the TJ since it lacked any structural member once it was folded and the bars from each side just dangled with no A-pillar to support them.
You were supposed to remove those bars, not let them dangle. 2 bolts on the b-pillar and they came off

View attachment 187848

21544083-9E57-4A50-8BF3-4B2C1DE698B0.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
There is a guy on the forum who put it down and drove around town. He said "trust me, don't go above 50mph unless you strap it down"... lol.

TheDirtyDangla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6 E-Torque

Exactly what I had to do for the 67 rail. I did take it down last weekend for the first time offroading. I got a lot of jealous looks and a lot of compliments but man does it really cut off your sight lines. I would probably only take it down again for a beach ride or some around town cruising under 30mph. Would not recommend for crawling or tight trails

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Please explain the point of the folding windscreen...is it just an off road thing?
New Coke versus Coke Classic.

What?!!!!

The folding windshield has to be one of the most infrequently used, relative to cost features of the Wrangler. While a small minority swear buy it, the rest of owners have never, nor will they ever take it down, and only a small segment of this larger group have tried it just to say "been there/done that." The fact that the windshield can come down affects how FCA had to design (i.e. $) flip over integrity through other means.

For full disclosure, that's me--the one time owner. And for many who try it, I'd strongly suggest you invest in a windshield wiper removal tool.

So why have the feature? As explained above, the folding windshield, even if done for reasons entirely different than today's, was a military crating issue. It's part of the DNA and history of the rig, and market testing showed that people are upset with FCA not offering it as homage to its past despite not using it. And sure, a small minority talk of intra rig surfboard storage--as much as gear like that belongs secured in rack above.

The Coke analogy: Coca Cola Inc, you can bet, spent untold sums of money testing New Coke versus Coke Classic before releasing it. Market segment after market segment, in blind taste tests preferred the taste of New Coke, or else they wouldn't have released it. But what such side by side taste tests didn't test was product loyalty and resistance to change. Any marketing major/MBA, in a decent program, reviews that case study.

FCA is smart not to make that mistake again.

Last edited:

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
New Coke versus Coke Classic.

For full disclosure, that's me--the one time owner. And for many who try it, I'd strongly suggest you invest in a windshield wiper removal tool.
I tried taking my wipers off the other day and couldn't get them to budge. Removing the plastic cover and nut were not a problem. Its like they are rusted on already after just one WI winter yet I didn't see any sign of corrosion after removing the nut?

In all the videos I've seen on the JL they just pop off after removing the nut, looks like I may have to pursue this "removal tool" if i ever intend to flip mine down again......................

TheDirtyDangla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6 E-Torque
I tried taking my wipers off the other day and couldn't get them to budge. Removing the plastic cover and nut were not a problem. Its like they are rusted on already after just one WI winter yet I didn't see any sign of corrosion after removing the nut?

In all the videos I've seen on the JL they just pop off after removing the nut, looks like I may have to pursue this "removal tool" if i ever intend to flip mine down again......................
PA winter no issues with rust here, just takes some finessing. After i fold it up I have to tug it back a little more for it to pop up
Sponsored