cosine

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i dont mind it at all and i've gotten used to it.

Advertisement

offset_98

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
If I know I'll be sitting at a light for 1-2+ minutes, I don't mind it. In stop-start traffic I shut it off.

Dmk679

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 4Dr
Wife hates start-stop but I could care less.

Covet

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I swear the children of Israel probably did less wailing and gnashing of teeth while wandering around that desert for 40 yrs than you ninnies.

Just hit the button.
Your post made me laugh out loud. Thank you.

Covet

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My new JLU is the first car I have had with the start-stop. It seems to be pretty transparent in that it doesn't impact my starting from a red light etc. To hear the engine do a full start, every time i come to a full stop makes me wince.

I know the claim is it saves a little bit of gas mileage. I have read differing opinions on this. My main concern is the engine. Is constantly restarting the engine going to result in a shorter life span?
Have had vehicles where you push the start/stop button (off) one time and it never auto-turns on again - ever (BMW).
The one on the Wrangler annoyed me (annoy-ed) me early on. Now i am in a routine push the Push to start button, push the start/stop button then do whatever i was going to drive to do.
Yes, i wish you could permanently one button turn it off. But the push push is not that big a deal IMO.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I’m probably a real outlier here. I usually have ESS off. But sometimes I turn it back on.

I have a manual so there is already more control on when it engages (only in N with the clutch out). On short or regular stops when idling in N I usually have ESS off. If it’s a long light, or I’m at a drive-through, or waiting for gas at Costco I turn ESS back on and let the engine shut down.

Just another option for me and thankfully it is fully controllable.

JMurph

First Name
Jerry
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Why does it bother you?
It’s been in the shop twice, before 10,000 miles for the ESS. First time it didn’t restart in the middle of a 6 lane intersection in LA. Not Many Very patient drivers in LA.

Cthehentz

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Jl Rubicon Unlimited, 2011 LR4, 07'LR3, 08 RR.
Occupation
Retired
I hate it, I do have a tazer and I used it to recalibrate tire size I am just a little scared using it to disable the start/stop may cause issues.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is shut off with the Tazer, but I have tried to turn it on a few times here and there and it never works, it's always "Charging", even after a 45 minute drive. It did work, even after the tazer so I know it isn't that. Probably just the cheap little tonka battery.

But ultimately, it's just too damn hot in South Florida the majority of the time to sit at a light with hot air blowing on you.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I swear the children of Israel probably did less wailing and gnashing of teeth while wandering around that desert for 40 yrs than you ninnies.

Just hit the button.
I absolutely love this post!

As far as ESS goes for me, it's a non-issue. Sometimes I let it operate as designed and other times I disable it with the button depending on my driving situation.

Burt

First Name
Burt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2014 FJ Cruiser (TTUE), 2016 Camry XLE (wife’s)
Occupation
Retired
I’m fine with it, however I disable it when off roading, and living in Phoenix with the air conditioning on, it certainly doesn’t provide the full benefit as the engine starts up often before the light turns green.

TEXGOAT

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I loathe it. It's useless, beyond causing no end of problems.

TEXGOAT

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
IF the battery was easily accessible, and IF it had a *!#%@*&%^&%&*ing persistent "OFF" setting, I'd only hate it for the worthless, troublesome, expensive imposition that it is.