Does anyone actually like start-stop

ssiegler

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
My new JLU is the first car I have had with the start-stop. It seems to be pretty transparent in that it doesn't impact my starting from a red light etc. To hear the engine do a full start, every time i come to a full stop makes me wince.

I know the claim is it saves a little bit of gas mileage. I have read differing opinions on this. My main concern is the engine. Is constantly restarting the engine going to result in a shorter life span?
Sponsored

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
I have it on my Highlander and really don't notice it now that I'm used to it. I don't think it'll be much more wear and tear since it doesn't turn the engine off if I'm stopping and going a lot. Only if I drive a bit then stop.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I experienced my first ESS when I test drove a JLUR. I had a little micro panic when the engine died. Then something like fingernails on a chalk board when I took my foot off the brake and it restarted. I'm the guy who bump starts my Jeep at every opportunity, so this tech bugs me. The other thing is, when the JL gets over 100k miles, how reliable will a split second restart be in traffic?

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
My new JLU is the first car I have had with the start-stop. It seems to be pretty transparent in that it doesn't impact my starting from a red light etc. To hear the engine do a full start, every time i come to a full stop makes me wince.

I know the claim is it saves a little bit of gas mileage. I have read differing opinions on this. My main concern is the engine. Is constantly restarting the engine going to result in a shorter life span?
I have read that it is NOT bad for the engine to be cycled on and off, and that in contrast, letting it idle is actually detrimental to modern engines. I don't have a problem with it as I often find myself in situations that could utilize it, such as waiting for trains.

TimP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler sport
I have read that it is NOT bad for the engine to be cycled on and off, and that in contrast, letting it idle is actually detrimental to modern engines. I don't have a problem with it as I often find myself in situations that could utilize it, such as waiting for trains.
I have read the opposite, so I have no idea what to believe.

Overall I don't like it, but if i was assured that its not causing any additional wear to my vehicle I may dislike it a little less. Until then, I will remain in the habit of hitting that little disable button every time I get in.

Sponsored

LydiaSP613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Especially if those trains are carrying JLs! I’ll happily sit & wait for those to be on their merry way to their new homes!! :like:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
If you think of the environmental impact of idling cars i think ESS is a good idea even if the impact on gas mileage is minimal.

But it has to be seamless. It didn't bother me on the automatic Sahara i test drove.

I'll have to see how i feel on a manual.

I think it would be better with BSG but i don't want to wait until next year.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Especially if those trains are carrying JLs! I’ll happily sit & wait for those to be on their merry way to their new homes!! :like:
I like this crazy Jeep girl!

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
This topic is already beaten to death, here: Verified: Engine Start-Stop (ESS) Standard on 3.6L Pentastar 2018 Wrangler Engine

There is wear and tear, but it is accounted for in the design. They improve the oiling process, and have changed the rockers and other parts with lower friction material; they also strengthen the battery, starter, and sometimes alternator. These are all beneficial upgrades for the additional stress of ESS now designed to handle say.. 500,000 re-starts vs 50,000.

However, taking that thinking, it’s now just plainly a stronger system, and will last longer still without the added stress of ESS if you disable it... but will that even be a noticeable difference to anyone other than the people who keep their vehicle for a decade, etc. Good thing no one keeps Wranglers for that long. ;)

Again it is a strain, but it is accounted for, which does add weight & cost, but it’s all relative.
Further reading, if interested (BSG thread is especially interesting, I think).
ESS Start Stop technology, thoughts?
BSG vs ESS A simple explanation please.
Auto stop/start temp. defeat

ATX_Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I personally DO NOT like it. I am slowly getting into the habit of just turning it off. I really wish it was opposite, whereas the default was OFF and you could turn it on if you'd like. And there might be a few times I do turn it on.

But otherwise, I'm forming the habit of hitting OFF overtime I enter the car.

Sponsored

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
I personally DO NOT like it. I am slowly getting into the habit of just turning it off. I really wish it was opposite, whereas the default was OFF and you could turn it on if you'd like. And there might be a few times I do turn it on.

But otherwise, I'm forming the habit of hitting OFF overtime I enter the car.
Why does it bother you?

ATX_Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Why does it bother you?
Because exiting my street there are limited sight lines. When I hit the gas, I don't want there to be any lag. None. Zero.

And when I drive to work, which is 10 miles away, there is a tough merge onto a busy HWY with a speed limit of 65 from a standing stop. Again, I want zero lag. None. Zero.

I want my new JLUR to be the same as all my other cars I've driven for the last 30 years. I don't need assisted start-stop. I also wish my quarter ponders with cheese were still served in styrofoam containers.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Because exiting my street there are limited sight lines. When I hit the gas, I don't want there to be any lag. None. Zero.

And when I drive to work, which is 10 miles away, there is a tough merge onto a busy HWY with a speed limit of 65 from a standing stop. Again, I want zero lag. None. Zero.

I want my new JLUR to be the same as all my other cars I've driven for the last 30 years. I don't need assisted start-stop. I also wish my quarter ponders with cheese were still served in styrofoam containers.
Make McDonald's Great Again! :flag:

Mcdlt-w-ad.jpg

It kept the hot side hot, and the cold side cold!

Last edited:

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
If it's implemented like in other vehicles, 6MT+ESS is actually a very nice combo. If you don't want it to turn off (like you know the light is about to turn green or similar), just leave the clutch engaged (it only shuts off in neutral with the clutch disengaged). Otherwise, you can observe on the real-time MPG readout that letting it shut off at lights actually saves a meaningful amount of fuel.
Sponsored