Sponsored

Does anyone actually like start-stop

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
My new JLU is the first car I have had with the start-stop. It seems to be pretty transparent in that it doesn't impact my starting from a red light etc. To hear the engine do a full start, every time i come to a full stop makes me wince.

I know the claim is it saves a little bit of gas mileage. I have read differing opinions on this. My main concern is the engine. Is constantly restarting the engine going to result in a shorter life span?
You can date hippie chicks and talk about how you are trying to do your part to save the environment. Every time it restarts mention how great it is.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Don't mind it and as someone said above, a very light pressure on the brake and it usually doesn't even engage the stop.

Smudgynut

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon
I have the 6 speed and it freaks me out when it happens (which isn't often). I feel like I just killed the engine and remember that I am in neutral.

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
Don't have a JL...yet... but when I do it will be a 6 spd. and I believe that It will not engage most of the time due to the fact that at most stops I'll be in 1st with one foot on the clutch and one on the brake...

Sponsored

FloridaCowboy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Charger 2015 Dodge Challenger 2017 MX 5 RF
Occupation
Retired
When I test drove the JLU I didn’t even notice it.
I had a 2016 Jeep Cherokee and absolutely hated it, turned it off every time I started the vehicle.

pmcgeejr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon Unlimited Eco-Diesel (ready to order...)
Occupation
Network Engineer
My Auto Start/Stop Experience on 2018 Ford SUV

I was curious about this auto start/stop as well since I'm purchasing my Jeep Rubicon JL soon. I had a rental which was a 2018 Ford SUV with auto start/stop technology for 3 days. It actually showed me a lot of insight of it which should be similar regardless of the vehicle. I used it from anywhere to sitting in traffic for an hour to highway to regular driving on the street.

My first impression was it wasn't too noticeable first since the engine startup was quiet but when the engine cut off the headlights and everything on interior remained on as if nothing went off beside you don't hear anything anymore and when you lift your foot of the brake you hear a quick cut on of the engine. I do like to drive fast many times and even with the start/stop I seen no delay of speeding off on a green traffic light right after the car shut off to back on still took off as if it never cut off. I did notice it did help a lot with gas mileage least in that vehicle so I can only imagine in Jeep the good it can do. I found later I used the button to disable the auto start/stop and noticed the car felt....different. I had gotten use to it shutting off at lights and whenever the brake pedal was used.

Misconceptions/Questions:

When you hit the brake the engine would cut off so wouldn't it be bad for off roading?
Response
: When you are driving and touch the brake the engine WILL NOT just cut off by itself. If so many people who drive "riding the brake" (pushing down on the brake while letting the car still move long distances) would hate this. What I noticed of using the vehicle auto start/stop feature it will cut off once the odometer is down to 0mph. So I "ASSUME" when off-roading and you drive 5mph and braking the engine would not just cut off the vehicle has to be completely stopped even so, it will not hurt anything.

Is their a delay when the engine cut off and back on and driving?
Response:
No, actually I seen no delay at all from when I turned off auto start/stop to having it on. Seemed the same response time. So again at a stop light you pull to a red light and start braking and the odemeter goes down to 0mph then the engine turns off. X amount of time the light turns green you take your foot off the brake you take off immediately.

mchinchi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
I hate it. I had my heater on blowing hot because it was cold outside. When i stopped at a red light by the time it turned green it wasn't even blowing hot air anymore. The air blowing out was actually making my daughter and I cold... Once I started moving it started blowing hot again. I found it annoying .

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I don't care for it for the simple fact it just isn't going to save me that much in gas vs. the wear and tear it'll have on the engine. Yeah, I know, modern components are designed to handle ESS systems, but given the crazy stop and go traffic around here, there just isn't a huge benefit.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I really won't mind switching it off when I climb in. Right now every morning, I climb in, start the car (and pray that it does, WK POS), then I have to switch on the butt heaters, turn the defrost HVAC to hot and full blast, turn on rear window defrost, and adjust the radio. One more action will seem like nothing.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
My plan is to hire a monkey to press the ESS button for me every time I enter the vehicle. Problem solved.
Trunk monkey!

Kysport

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Absolutely hate it. I will wear out the disable button in no time.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Absolutely hate it. I will wear out the disable in no time.
It won't be long before a forum member comes up with a mod to disable or an aftermarket vendor comes up with a kit to disable it. It is only am matter of time.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
It won't be long before a forum member comes up with a mod to disable or an aftermarket vendor comes up with a kit to disable it. It is only am matter of time.
I read on here that if you plug in a fake trailer harness it defeats ESS. Like one of those hitch covers with light-up eyeballs or something.

CR-018_500.jpg
Sponsored