Sponsored

Does anyone actually like start-stop

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
My new JLU is the first car I have had with the start-stop. It seems to be pretty transparent in that it doesn't impact my starting from a red light etc. To hear the engine do a full start, every time i come to a full stop makes me wince.

I know the claim is it saves a little bit of gas mileage. I have read differing opinions on this. My main concern is the engine. Is constantly restarting the engine going to result in a shorter life span?
Have had vehicles where you push the start/stop button (off) one time and it never auto-turns on again - ever (BMW).
The one on the Wrangler annoyed me (annoy-ed) me early on. Now i am in a routine push the Push to start button, push the start/stop button then do whatever i was going to drive to do.
Yes, i wish you could permanently one button turn it off. But the push push is not that big a deal IMO.
Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I’m probably a real outlier here. I usually have ESS off. But sometimes I turn it back on.

I have a manual so there is already more control on when it engages (only in N with the clutch out). On short or regular stops when idling in N I usually have ESS off. If it’s a long light, or I’m at a drive-through, or waiting for gas at Costco I turn ESS back on and let the engine shut down.

Just another option for me and thankfully it is fully controllable.

JMurph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Why does it bother you?
It’s been in the shop twice, before 10,000 miles for the ESS. First time it didn’t restart in the middle of a 6 lane intersection in LA. Not Many Very patient drivers in LA.

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I hate it, I do have a tazer and I used it to recalibrate tire size I am just a little scared using it to disable the start/stop may cause issues.

Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is shut off with the Tazer, but I have tried to turn it on a few times here and there and it never works, it's always "Charging", even after a 45 minute drive. It did work, even after the tazer so I know it isn't that. Probably just the cheap little tonka battery.

But ultimately, it's just too damn hot in South Florida the majority of the time to sit at a light with hot air blowing on you.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I swear the children of Israel probably did less wailing and gnashing of teeth while wandering around that desert for 40 yrs than you ninnies.

Just hit the button.
I absolutely love this post!

As far as ESS goes for me, it's a non-issue. Sometimes I let it operate as designed and other times I disable it with the button depending on my driving situation.

Burt

First Name
Burt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2014 FJ Cruiser (TTUE), 2016 Camry XLE (wife’s)
Occupation
Retired
I’m fine with it, however I disable it when off roading, and living in Phoenix with the air conditioning on, it certainly doesn’t provide the full benefit as the engine starts up often before the light turns green.

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
I have not read through this entire post, so perhaps someone has already noted this, but turning the engine off at stops is very helpful to people with respiratory problems that are in the proximity of the vehicle (think kids with asthma). I have asthma myself, and exhaust fumes trigger it every time.

I'd like to think that the minor inconvenience (if any) that ESS poses to drivers seems a small price to pay to reduce air contaminants that harm others. But I get that we live in a time when concern for others in the face of inconvenience to self is often not a priority, unfortunately.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I have not read through this entire post, so perhaps someone has already noted this, but turning the engine off at stops is very helpful to people with respiratory problems that are in the proximity of the vehicle (think kids with asthma). I have asthma myself, and exhaust fumes trigger it every time.

I'd like to think that the minor inconvenience (if any) that ESS poses to drivers seems a small price to pay to reduce air contaminants that harm others. But I get that we live in a time when concern for others in the face of inconvenience to self is often not a priority, unfortunately.
Agreed. It can be pretty nice for us asthmatics.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't it auto disable when you're in 4 low? I'm pretty sure that it does.

I actually get annoyed when my ESS doesn't shut the engine off The noise of the starter irritated me a bit when I first got it, but I've gotten used to it. Maybe it's because I primarily drive a Prius but sitting a light or in a drive thru with the noise and vibrations of an engine now feels wrong to me. When I'm at a light and the engine is still running I find myself looking at the gauge to figure out why. I've been known to turn off the HVAC system at lights just to get the engine to turn off. I almost never disable ESS, but I'm glad there is a physical button to do so. My issue with the start stop all revolves around the little battery and what kind of problems it might give me in the future. But otherwise, yeah I'm fine with ESS. I do wish it was smoother like a BSG, but for a Jeep I'm not a fan of the large battery underneath (not to mention reliability concerns, this is FCA we're talking about).
The ESS is still active in 4HI so it can be annoying on a trail ride. But its just easy to hit the button.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Even if those conditions existed, the issues related to electrically dissimilar batteries in parallel would still exit. Batteries in parallel are like siblings, identical twins will get along, not so much for anything else.

Last edited: