AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Basically, Zero delay, lift your foot from the brake and the engine reengages. Way soother than the KL, where the Auto had to reengage the dog clutch on 1/2. If you flat-footed the accelerator right away, it could lurch significantly.
That’s what I figured. The system seems to be on par with every other platform out there. Personally I just don’t like it because the A/C obviously doesn’t work when it’s shut down. In the winter I use it. It saves a smidge of fuel.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I’m a 3 foot driver ( manual ) and the system is super instantaneous. As soon as you touch the clutch the engine starts Obviously I don’t have an auto but I can’t imagine there is much of a delay going on.
I always thought I would like the ESS on the manual better, but the one time I got to drive a manual JT, the battery was low so ESS didn't kick in before I made it back to the dealer. would have been nice to get a feel for it.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Doesn’t seem that important with all of the shit going on right now!

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
I would prefer, that if the vehicle comes to an autostop, and shifted into park that the engine should remain off. If the door is opened and the key departs the vehicle, it should treat that as a total ignition shutdown since its a pushbutton system.
I’m with you and learned to “fool it” from these forums. My driveway is an incline, so if I’m not fast enough shifting to park once I pull in the garage, the ESS shuts the engine off and then right back on again which was soooooooo frustrating. And I know I can turn it off with the button...

So what you do is let the ESS shut off, then you take off your seatbelt and open the door, with your foot in the brake. The dash starts blinking and singing, but the engine doesn’t restart. And then you shift to park (With your foot still on the brake) and finally hit the stop/start button (after taking your foot off the brake or it will restart) and get out!

Sponsored

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Gonna throw my .02 $ in here.

From an engineering stand point, it is a good thing by stopping the moving parts of the engine while idle. But this is only significant if you idle at longer periods say over 30-45 seconds. (suck squeeze bang blow) O2 is the primary fuel and the little mist of gasoline is to make the bang react in the controlled environment. anecdote - use 92/93 or higher octane (per the service manual) which makes the combustion process slower reducing the chance of engine knock.

Then that leads to the (ees) restart and it splits from Manual vs Auto on re-engaging the drive-train which will increase the Karen's behind you that cant wait the 1.2489-1.73418 seconds to engage and go 'safely' ++ without dropping the clutch :LOL:.

For my personal location the lights are quite short and a shat ton of round-a-bouts (average 20 PMG city and 23 highway (I think there is another thread dedicated to this) , additionally I have the V6 and my work around was to disable the dinging from the seat belt not being plugged in and yes i drive with out it cuz fuck the gov revenue generating road pirates, ill be the master of my own destiny so go get some good window tint and roll on cuz you shore aint buyin' no jeep for the fuel economy:rock:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I hate it I hate it I hate it I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT!!!!

1.gif

2.gif

3.gif

4.gif

Nuff' said
Don't be afraid to tell us how you really feel, just let it out. :CWL:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’m with you and learned to “fool it” from these forums. My driveway is an incline, so if I’m not fast enough shifting to park once I pull in the garage, the ESS shuts the engine off and then right back on again which was soooooooo frustrating. And I know I can turn it off with the button...

So what you do is let the ESS shut off, then you take off your seatbelt and open the door, with your foot in the brake. The dash starts blinking and singing, but the engine doesn’t restart. And then you shift to park (With your foot still on the brake) and finally hit the stop/start button (after taking your foot off the brake or it will restart) and get out!
What I normally do with mine is pop into neutral as I stop (<1 MPH) and into park when at a complete stop. Just saves the unnecessary restart if you prevent the auto stop. It just means I shift out of drive half a second or so earlier than I would without it.

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I don't really notice it. I like being able to turn it off for some situations.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
2.0 BSG = exceptional smooth...I never turn off. No comparison to ESS which is very noticeable and irritating.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I hate it I hate it I hate it I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT!!!!
If I ever find out what is wrong with mine I'll let you, it's effectively turned off permanently.

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
How do you do that???? Did you have to buy some box and plug it into your Jeep (like that start stop box or tazer whatever), did you unplug some auxiliary battery switch or do something to some stuff under the hood BUT it will give you some warning on your dashboard!

What did you do to "effectively turned it off permanently"??? Do share please!!!

And no, someone told me to go to Burger King and look for a kitchen helper name Duane that would magically turn off my ESS forever. I did that. Only to find there are no Duane in BK. So please don't fall for that advice.
$129.00 five minutes to plug it in and I never again think about ESS resetting everytime I turn on the Jeep. My setting stays in place from one start to another:

https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I know the Service manager at my dealership and he turns his off when he starts his Jeep.

I get in mine and that's first button I push OFF.
Sponsored